Looking around the division

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Well unless Landry somehow turns into a ball hawk he isnt going to compliment Taylor at all and the Commanders still lack a pass rush...

No worries.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
parchy;1479839 said:
I don't think that's the book on Landry. He can lay the wood, but by "complete package," scouts refer to his ability to play CF in addition to his ability to play at the line. He's not as good in coverage as, say, Nelson, but he's a true NFL FS for sure.

That said, it won't matter if their pass rush continues to suck and their corners continue to go downhill.
The question I have is isn't Taylor supposed to be their free safety? Alot of the arguments about who's better Taylor or Roy was always defended by the fact that they played two different positons. So if that's correct, then Landry should play SS, not FS. And if Landry is the complete safety and can play both spots, he'll be at the SS spot. Unless their safetys are supposed to be interchangeable...then it won't matter who's playing strong or free.

smarta5150;1479858 said:
Landry had a whopping 3 INTs and 1 Pass Def. his senior year...

In the Sugar Bowl he was late on NDs ealry long TD pass and also missed an easy TFL for about -8 yards.

The typical workout warrior numbers once again inflated a player's draft...

Sorry Hos, I think you loved him, for knocking your guy ;)
Hos has been jocking him since before the 2006 draft. It's killing him Landry is playing for the Skins.

Random side note: Dawan landry, Laron's older brother plays for Baltimore. I'm sure that's a great situation for him as he gets accustomed to the NFL.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;1479901 said:
Hos has been jocking him since before the 2006 draft. It's killing him Landry is playing for the Skins.
That and the fact we drafted a kicker makes this a bad weekend for him.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
smarta5150;1479898 said:
Well unless Landry somehow turns into a ball hawk he isnt going to compliment Taylor at all and the Commanders still lack a pass rush...

No worries.

for comparison's sake, Merriweather is considered a potential playmaking S in the NFL, yet he had a whopping 3 INTs this year

Landry doesn't need to be a ball-hawk, he just has to be dependable in coverage, which he is capable of, but the Washington pass-rush is horrid, and will remain so IMO which is going to put alot of stress on him in coverage, and I don't think he'll be able to stand up to it

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
speedkilz88;1479965 said:
I did see where Kiper said that Landry had questionable ball skills.

that means he doesn't make alot of interceptions, sorta like Terrence Newman, if you need an example of what that means

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1479970 said:
that means he doesn't make alot of interceptions, sorta like Terrence Newman, if you need an example of what that means

Ball skills is locating the ball in the air and making a play on it.

Newman doesn't get thrown at, therefor he doesn't have many INTs.

Are you gonna tell me Deion didn't have ball skills either? :p:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I think the giants did a good job. If we had drafted ross and smith there are people on this board who would be running around declaring all kinds of nonsense about this season. The giants did a very good job.

As far as the eagles go, It is near impossible for outsiders to grade their drafts. They have a system on both sides of the ball and they look for players to play a role in their system each year. Prototypes for their system. So it is impossible in my opinion to look at the players, then some scouts grades and say great or horrible. Only time will tell how those players work in their system.

As far as the Commanders go, they are the anti eagles. No system. No picks that can make a difference but one. Maybe those backers will play well on special teams or find a role in odd formations, nickel etc.. Otherwise they didnt really have a draft and didnt plug in anything that will help them this year or next year really except Landry, who looks to be great. Will be interesting to see if they find a suitor for springs. Maybe they pull the trigger on the briggs trade this summer sometime. I am sure they will devalue their picks against sometime soon and go get someone.

I really think the eagles are still a notch better than the rest of us and the cowboys, giants and skins are the same. WHo can stay healthy and get the best qb play will be the team with the better record and maybe finish 2nd in the division or higher if lucky.

We have a question mark with romo in some respects, we have a new coaching staff and a possible issue at free safety still. I think we have fixed our offensive line and will save alot of money there in the future. I think we solved are pass rush also. We now have ware, ellis, spencer, hatcher and ratliff to rush the passer. Good stuff and a ton of potential there.

The giants have offensive line questions and running game that is an unkown right now.

The skins have a question mark at qb, a defensive line issue in some respects, they are going to have to sell out to hit the qb again and that is dangerous no matter who you are.

Should be a great season and may the best team win.

Jenky

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1479886 said:
Landry can play CF, cover slot-receivers AND he can play in the box, that's why he was a top 10 pick, and the 1st safety chosen, and the 1st safety on just about everyone's draft board

I agree Landry won't give us headaches, but because the Skins have no pass-rush to protect him

Before the combine and pro days, Landry and Nelson were neck and neck. Some teams had Nelson ahead and other teams had Landry ahead on their boards. He's not a top 10 pick because he can play CF. Thats probably his weakness. Hes a box safety. The only reason he got into the top 10 was because of his ~4.35 time. Almost all of the analysts will tell you that Nelson and Meriweather are the centerfielders and Landry is the box safety.

Kiper did say the guy had below average hands and he has poor ball judgement.When the ball is in the air, he doesnt locate it well. Taylor willl stay as FS and this guy will be SS.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
hardhittin31;1480045 said:
Before the combine and pro days, Landry and Nelson were neck and neck. Some teams had Nelson ahead and other teams had Landry ahead on their boards. He's not a top 10 pick because he can play CF. Thats probably his weakness. Hes a box safety. The only reason he got into the top 10 was because of his ~4.35 time. Almost all of the analysts will tell you that Nelson and Meriweather are the centerfielders and Landry is the box safety.

Kiper did say the guy had below average hands and he has poor ball judgement.When the ball is in the air, he doesnt locate it well. Taylor willl stay as FS and this guy will be SS.

I have been trying to tell people he is just another hard hitting safety who plays very well in the box...

but Landry has this God-like aura around him because of him combine workout, another work out warrior who makes top 10 because he runs fast with no pads on.