Looking at LBs

ddh33

Reaction score
I really have a strong feeling that Dallas is going to be looking hard for a playmaking linebacker in this coming draft. At the same time, it seems to me that there are several different ways to go about doing this...

Many fans have been thinking that Dallas' first draft choice should be a LB to play opposite Demarcus Ware. That wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. But I would hate to make the mistake of drafting a LB high just to find out that someone drafted a round or two later would have the same impact. After all, you only have so much ammunition, and some positions in this draft seem to be deeper than others.

Bobby Carpenter is a guy that is very interesting. His scouting reports indicate that he is tailor-made for the 3-4. He can tackle, cover, and blitz, and he brings a certian kind of personality that this team might need.

Manny Lawson looks like he is an athletic freak. His measureables should be unbelievable, and his body type seems to make him a great fit for a 3-4 as well. I have a hunch that Lawson could be a big-time riser when the draft rolls around. He may not even be around at #18.

Kamerion Wimbley hasn't been talked about quite as much, but he is another tweener who looks like he could find a role as an OLB in a 3-4. But he is the kind of player who might actually be around when the Cowboys second round pick comes around.

Then, there are lesser prospects like Stanley McClover, Daryl Tapp, Parys Haralson, Mark Anderson, James Wyche, and on and on...Obviously, those guys aren't quite the caliber of some of the more known names, but they look like they could be pretty good players too.

There is one more guy though that I really like, and that is Kai Parham. He comes from that Virginia program, was coached by one of Bill's best friends, has experience in the 3-4, and he's been a pretty versatile player...

I guess that part of my point is, should Dallas be looking to draft a LB with their #18 pick when there are others who could be had later on who might do just as well?

Should the Cowboys try to get someone who is a clear cut above the rest of the guys at a different position?

For instance, you could draft someone like Bobby Carpenter in the first round and try to find a good receiver in the second round. On the other hand, you might be able to draft a much better receiver like Santonio Holmes or Chad Jackson in the first and get someone like Kai Parham or Kamerion Wimbley in the second.

I just looks to me like the depth of the linebacker class could make it more of a common-sense approach to make sure that you use what ammunition you have wisely.

neosapien23

Reaction score
ddh33 said:
I really have a strong feeling that Dallas is going to be looking hard for a playmaking linebacker in this coming draft. At the same time, it seems to me that there are several different ways to go about doing this...

Many fans have been thinking that Dallas' first draft choice should be a LB to play opposite Demarcus Ware. That wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. But I would hate to make the mistake of drafting a LB high just to find out that someone drafted a round or two later would have the same impact. After all, you only have so much ammunition, and some positions in this draft seem to be deeper than others.

Bobby Carpenter is a guy that is very interesting. His scouting reports indicate that he is tailor-made for the 3-4. He can tackle, cover, and blitz, and he brings a certian kind of personality that this team might need.

Manny Lawson looks like he is an athletic freak. His measureables should be unbelievable, and his body type seems to make him a great fit for a 3-4 as well. I have a hunch that Lawson could be a big-time riser when the draft rolls around. He may not even be around at #18.

Kamerion Wimbley hasn't been talked about quite as much, but he is another tweener who looks like he could find a role as an OLB in a 3-4. But he is the kind of player who might actually be around when the Cowboys second round pick comes around.

Then, there are lesser prospects like Stanley McClover, Daryl Tapp, Parys Haralson, Mark Anderson, James Wyche, and on and on...Obviously, those guys aren't quite the caliber of some of the more known names, but they look like they could be pretty good players too.

There is one more guy though that I really like, and that is Kai Parham. He comes from that Virginia program, was coached by one of Bill's best friends, has experience in the 3-4, and he's been a pretty versatile player...

I guess that part of my point is, should Dallas be looking to draft a LB with their #18 pick when there are others who could be had later on who might do just as well?

Should the Cowboys try to get someone who is a clear cut above the rest of the guys at a different position?

For instance, you could draft someone like Bobby Carpenter in the first round and try to find a good receiver in the second round. On the other hand, you might be able to draft a much better receiver like Santonio Holmes or Chad Jackson in the first and get someone like Kai Parham or Kamerion Wimbley in the second.

I just looks to me like the depth of the linebacker class could make it more of a common-sense approach to make sure that you use what ammunition you have wisely.

What about trading down and getting an extra 2nd rounder?
We could go with Wimberely in the low 1st round and Parham with the 2nd round pick.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
ddh33 said:

dI would definitely go after Tapp in the 2nd round NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. I would never have him covering 1 on 1, he would only drop into a zone.. He would make so many tackles behind the LOS it wouldn't be funny.

Personally, I would just trade out of the 1st round and acquire a 2nd 3rd and 4th.`

neosapien23

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
dI would definitely go after Tapp in the 2nd round NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. I would never have him covering 1 on 1, he would only drop into a zone.. He would make so many tackles behind the LOS it wouldn't be funny.

Personally, I would just trade out of the 1st round and acquire a 2nd 3rd and 4th.`

Your beggining to develop an unhealthy man crush on Tapp.:p:
He is a player though.

jbsg02

Reaction score
parham would not be a suprise just as canty was not a suprise, both coming from groh's 3-4 at virginia

Natedawg44

Reaction score
I think we can all agree we need 4 positions at a mininimum this offseason. If we can fill two of those through free agency it would help. I think the offensive line free agents are extremely weak. Akin Ayodele seems to look like a very good fit for us. If we could get a player like him to help our LB core it would free us up to draft other positions in the draft other than LBer.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
If demaco Ryans from Alabama is available I'd have to take a serious look at taking him.

MiStar

Reaction score
Mike Kudla will be a steal in the second round. I just hope it's the cowboys that get him.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Your beggining to develop an unhealthy man crush on Tapp.:p:
He is a player though.
Thanks man, I almost got caught up.:D

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
MiStar said:
Mike Kudla will be a steal in the second round. I just hope it's the cowboys that get him.

I really like Kudla, but the second round is too high for him. I would say the fourth or fifth is where he is currently projected. I could see him developing into a player similar to Vrabel from the Pats in the 3-4 defense.

MiStar

Reaction score
My personal opinion is Kudla will be the best 3-4 OLB to come out of the draft. Kudla is simply too strong to be blocked by anything other than an offensive lineman.

The only advantage that other top OLB prospects have over Kudla is a marginal difference in speed, which Kudla will regain once he is asked to loose a few pounds for his transition to the OLB position. Kudla will be a better passrusher and run defender than either Lawson or Carpenter at the pro level. There is more to being an OLB than running upfield taking yourself out the play.

ghst187

Reaction score
MiStar said:
There is more to being an OLB than running upfield taking yourself out the play.

not according to Indy and Dwight Freeney, oh yeah, he's a DE but same principle