Looking at the Trade Value Chart

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
I know that many people don't agree with the chart, but just for fun I decided to see what we could turn our extra picks in to. Chart can be found HERE

We currently hold the following picks

2nd round (20th in round) worth 380 points
3rd round (5th in round) worth 245 points
4th round (1st in round) worth 112 points
4th round (20th in round) worth 62 points
5th round (20th in round) worth 32 points
5th round (32nd in round) worth 27 points
5th round (comp pick) worth 0 points
6th round (26th in round) worth 17 points
6th round (comp pick) worth 0 points
7th round (1st in round) worth 14 points
7th round (20th in round) worth 7 points

The two fourth round pick combine to be worth 174 points which could net us the 19th pick in the 3rd round (worth 175 points). Our two fifth round picks combine to be worth 59 points which could get us the 21st pick in the 4th round (worth 60 points). Our 6th and two 7th round selections combined (38 points) could land the 8th pick in the 5th round (38 points). That would leave us with something like this:

2nd round (20th in round)
3rd round (5th in round)
3rd round (19th in round)
4th round (21st in round)
5th round (8th in round)
5th round (comp pick)
6th round (comp pick)

And if someone were to fall in the first round that Jerry really wanted, our 2nd and first 3rd round pick combine for 625 points which is good enough for the 30th pick in the first round (worth 620 points). I know that the values aren't exact and that you always have to find a willing trade partner, but with all of our picks and JJ at the helm you know there will be some wheeling and dealing...just thought I'd through out some food for thought.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
cowboysfan31;2579846 said:
I know that many people don't agree with the chart, but just for fun I decided to see what we could turn our extra picks in to. Chart can be found HERE

We currently hold the following picks

2nd round (20th in round) worth 380 points
3rd round (5th in round) worth 245 points
4th round (1st in round) worth 112 points
4th round (20th in round) worth 62 points
5th round (20th in round) worth 32 points
5th round (32nd in round) worth 27 points
5th round (comp pick) worth 0 points
6th round (26th in round) worth 17 points
6th round (comp pick) worth 0 points
7th round (1st in round) worth 14 points
7th round (20th in round) worth 7 points

The two fourth round pick combine to be worth 174 points which could net us the 19th pick in the 3rd round (worth 175 points). Our two fifth round picks combine to be worth 59 points which could get us the 21st pick in the 4th round (worth 60 points). Our 6th and two 7th round selections combined (38 points) could land the 8th pick in the 5th round (38 points). That would leave us with something like this:

2nd round (20th in round)
3rd round (5th in round)
3rd round (19th in round)
4th round (21st in round)
5th round (8th in round)
5th round (comp pick)
6th round (comp pick)

And if someone were to fall in the first round that Jerry really wanted, our 2nd and first 3rd round pick combine for 625 points which is good enough for the 30th pick in the first round (worth 620 points). I know that the values aren't exact and that you always have to find a willing trade partner, but with all of our picks and JJ at the helm you know there will be some wheeling and dealing...just thought I'd through out some food for thought.

I could get behind that approach, no problem... I might even noodle around with a mock draft based on it a little later on this morning... that would give the Boys 7 picks in the top 190-195 picks...

I like the way you think...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
OK, I've spent a little while playing around with cowboysfan31's draft order after his proposed trades, here's what I've come up with... first off, let it be noted that I don't expect that the Boys will pull off all these trades, though I expect Jerry to be active on draft day... this is just an exercise, a look at his scenario... for draft ratings, I'll be using the top 750 at NFL Draft Scout, which is updated almost constantly...

What I'm gonna do is predict what number each pick will turn out to be, and list a number of players who might be available for each pick, then I'll make my selection... when I list a player, the number in parentheses after his name is his draft ranking on NFL Draft Scout's top 750:

2nd round, pick 52...

Available-- OG Herman Johnson, LSU (50)... C/OG Jonathan Luigs, Wisconsin (52)... SS Patrick Chung, Oregon (55)... OT Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma (58)... C Alex Mack, Cal (61)... it's no coincidence that this list is mostly offensive linemen...

The choice-- Jonathan Luigs, C/OG, Arkansas... 6-4, 315 pounds, 4.95 second 40... quality depth for the interior OL, perhaps the eventual heir to Andre Gurode at C... great mobility for a 315 pounder...

3rd round, pick 69...

Available-- ILB Derry Beckwith, LSU (66)... OG Kraig Urbik, Wisconsin (68)... OLB Tyrone McKenzie, South Florida (71)... SS Michael Hamlin, Clemson (74)...

The choice-- Kraig Urbik, OG, Wisconsin... 6-7, 330 pounds, 5.25 second 40... yeah, I know, it would be unusual to go OL with the first two picks, and I know there are other needs... but I see upgrading OL as job one this offseason, and the rest of my draft will lean heavily toward the defensive side of the ball... Urbik is a stud who I think could play ROT too... he moves real well for a 330 pounder...

3rd round, pick 83...

Available-- OT Tupou Fenuki, Oregon (85)... DE Jarron Gilbert, San Jose State (89)... CB Domonique Johnson, Jackson State (90)... OG/C Andy Levitre, Oregon State (98)... FS Rashad Johnson, Alabama (102)... WR/QB Pat White, West Virginia (104)... OLB Zack Follett, Cal (105)... NT Ron Brace, Boston College (106)... FS Sherrod Martin, Troy (107)... WR Jarett Dillard, Rice (110)... SS/OLB Jonathan Casillas, Wisconsin (112)...

The choice-- Jonathan Casillas SS/OLB, Wisconsin... 6-1, 225 pounds, 4.45 second 40... one of my "pet cats", I freely admit that I'm reaching just a little here... though he played OLB in college, with his size and speed I see him projecting to SS in the NFL... so, apparently, does NFL Draft Scout... here's what they say, note how most of the negatives are negatives for a linebacker, not so much so for a safety:

Positives: Runs to the ball very well and has excellent quickness for a linebacker. Literally a sideline-to-sideline player, as he can track down quick backs from the opposite side of the field. Safety-like in coverage, able to shadow tight ends and slot receivers. When running free, he is a strong wrap-up tackler. Also uses his long arms to trip up ballcarriers as they run by. Was a real force on special teams units early in his career because of his speed and tackling ability.

Negatives: Undersized, seen as a safety-linebacker 'tweener by some. Not strong enough to get off blocks from linemen or fullbacks, and inconsistent against receivers. Will run around blocks inside instead of taking them on. Has the tools to be a good blitzer, but does not get home often enough. Could be effective in a stack system in which the defensive linemen keep him clean.

4th round, c. pick 120 (it gets hard to project the exact number from this point on, because we don't know which compensatory picks will fall in which round)...

Available-- S Chip Vaughn, Wake Forest (116)... ILB Daniel Ellerbe, Georgia (118)... DE Ricky Jean-Francois, LSU (119)... OT Alex Boone, Ohio State (123)... OLB Jason Williams, Western Illinois (129)... ILB Jason Philips, TCU (142)...

The choice-- Jason Phillips, ILB, TCU... 6-1, 235 pounds, 4.55 second 40... has the cover skills to take over for Kevin Burnett at the weakside ILB... here's what NFL Draft Scout has to say about his performance at the East/West Shrine Game practices this week:

A couple of scouts were heard talking about TCU inside linebacker Jason Phillips, both basically saying he "just makes plays." His physical handling of running backs over the middle took away the QB's safety valve

5th round, c. pick 140...

Available-- OG Jaimie Thomas, Maryland (143)... OG Ray Feinga, BYU (151)... SS Kevin Ellison, USC (153)... DE/OLB Philip Hunt, Houston (161)... WR Quan Cosby, Texas (162)...

The choice-- DE/OLB Phillip Hunt, Houston... 6-1, 260 pounds, 4.65 second 40... the Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year with 12 sacks and 16.5 tackles for loss... he also forced 3 fumbles, and blocked a field goal attempt...

5th round, c. pick 165-170...

Available-- ILB Antonio Appleby, Virginia (164)... DE/DT Chris Baker, Hampton (168)... FB Brannon Southerland, Georgia (170)... OT Joel Bell, Furman (177)... OG Andy Kemp, Wisconsin (178)... ILB Josh Mauga, Nevada (185)... NT Sammie Lee Hill, Stillman (186)... OG Louis Vasquez, Texas Tech (187)...

The choice-- I'm sorely tempted to go with Sammie Lee Hill from Stillman, especially given the Cowboys' need at NT, but the choice is Chris Baker, DE/DT, Hampton... 6-2, 310 pounds, 5.05 second 40...

6th round, c. pick 195-200...

Available-- OT Eric Van den Heuvel, Wisconsin (195)... FS Darcel McBath, Texas Tech (214)... DE Demonte Bolden, Tennessee (235)... OT Ramon Foster, Tennessee (243)... DT Roy Miller, Texas (244)... FB Mraquez Branson, Central Arkansas (255)... QB Mike Reilly, Central Washington (258)...

The choice-- Darcel McBath, FS, Texas Tech... 6-1, 200 pounds, 4.45 second 40... a true centerfielder, who should have a solid schooling in pass defense, just from practicing against the Red Raiders' offense...

So to summarize, here's how my draft would look, based on the criteria set out at the outset:

2) Jonathan Luigs, C/OG, Arkansas... 6-4, 315 pounds, 4.95 second 40
3a) Kraig Urbik, OG/OT, Wisconsin... 6-7, 330 pounds, 5.25 second 40
3b) Jonathan Casillas, SS, Wisconsin... 6-1, 225 pounds, 4.45 second 40
4) Jason Phillips, ILB, TCU... 6-1, 235 pounds, 4.55 second 40
5a) Phillip Hunt, OLB, Houston... 6-1, 260 pounds, 4.65 second 40
5b) Chris Baker, DE/DT, Hampton... 6-2, 310 pounds, 5.05 second 40
6) Darcel McBath, FS, Texas Tech... 6-1, 200 pounds, 4.45 second 40

I see this as a meat and potatoes draft, upgrading the defense and the offensive line... I think the Boys need a meat and potatos draft right now...