Looking back On the Demarcus Lawrence contract

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He is not producing, regardless of contract, to this point. I don't care if you were paying him 5 million a year, he's not getting it done to this point. He has 5 sacks, which is what he's paid to do, but his numbers are way down across the board.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
He is not producing, regardless of contract, to this point. I don't care if you were paying him 5 million a year, he's not getting it done to this point. He has 5 sacks, which is what he's paid to do, but his numbers are way down across the board.
It is impossible for him to rack up sacks with a) the way he's blocked b) the way he's used to stunt so often and c) how quick opposing teams get the ball out. This is why they paid him, and why he's worth every dollar:

He's doubled and the ball is out in less than 2.5 seconds. There's no chance for a DL to get a sack on that, but he's still influencing the play.

Sacks are a quarterback and offense stat. The sooner we get to understanding that, the better off we'll be. He still ranks 4th in pass-rush win rate - ahead of Mack, Miller, the Bosas, etc. etc. Look at his peers in double-teams vs. win rate. This is an elite group.

EST_1986

Reaction score
It is impossible for him to rack up sacks with a) the way he's blocked b) the way he's used to stunt so often and c) how quick opposing teams get the ball out. This is why they paid him, and why he's worth every dollar:

He's doubled and the ball is out in less than 2.5 seconds. There's no chance for a DL to get a sack on that, but he's still influencing the play.

Sacks are a quarterback and offense stat. The sooner we get to understanding that, the better off we'll be. He still ranks 4th in pass-rush win rate - ahead of Mack, Miller, the Bosas, etc. etc. Look at his peers in double-teams vs. win rate. This is an elite group.

People just watch the stat sheets not the games. DLaw is fine, he's the major reason why the guy on the other end of the line looks so good now if the two edge rushers could get some legit help inside, its ball game.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
We needs some big bodies in the middle to actually occupy some blockers. Marinelli's scheme just doesn't work. The guys in the middle can't eat up blocks so our LB's end up taking on the lineman and get taken out of plays, the tackles are free to focus solely on the DE's instead of also having to contend with a DT. We need a clean sweep on the coaches on the defensive side. We need a defensive minded coach to fix that side of the ball. I can't remember the last time we had a defense that could pressure QB's and generate turnovers. Make it so the offense doesn't need to drive 90 yards every time they get the ball.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I've heard this before. I don't agree. He has 5 sacks, we are not talking about being down a couple from last year. He is down in every category across the board. Sorry, getting chipped from a TE is part of playing the position. It always has been, it always will be. He got paid to do one thing. He ain't doing that and that's just the truth.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
We needs some big bodies in the middle to actually occupy some blockers. Marinelli's scheme just doesn't work. The guys in the middle can't eat up blocks so our LB's end up taking on the lineman and get taken out of plays, the tackles are free to focus solely on the DE's instead of also having to contend with a DT. We need a clean sweep on the coaches on the defensive side. We need a defensive minded coach to fix that side of the ball. I can't remember the last time we had a defense that could pressure QB's and generate turnovers. Make it so the offense doesn't need to drive 90 yards every time they get the ball.
The Cowboys pass-rush is second best in the NFL lol.

The point about DTs needing to occupy blockers is bunk, but I will say that the coaches do a poor job of putting DBs in position to make plays on the ball, with how good the DL is.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I've heard this before. I don't agree. He has 5 sacks, we are not talking about being down a couple from last year. He is down in every category across the board. Sorry, getting chipped from a TE is part of playing the position. It always has been, it always will be. He got paid to do one thing. He ain't doing that and that's just the truth.
He got paid to do what is in the clip above, just as Zeke got paid b/c of what he allows, say, Michael Gallup to do.

How is a defender supposed to get a sack on that?

Twin928

Reaction score
Nooooo y’all keep looking at his sacks he’s doubled tripled on passing downs pay attention to tank in the run game he’s earning his contract

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What were the options? I don't think Quinn would have been as effective without Lawrence on the other end. I have watched him on specific plays and he's given everything he's had to give.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
The Cowboys pass-rush is second best in the NFL lol.

The point about DTs needing to occupy blockers is bunk, but I will say that the coaches do a poor job of putting DBs in position to make plays on the ball, with how good the DL is.
We are ranked 14th in sacks. I know, I know, it's not all about sacks. You put pressure on the QB and force them to make bad throws which would be fine except we are tied for last place with 6 INT's on the year so apparently we are not doing that very well either.

blueblood70

Reaction score
its the same struggle Mack and Miller are having this year they only have 2 more sacks then Tank...it happens he could have 20 next year..as long as hes playing hard and effecting the offense, im cool with that..

blueblood70

Reaction score
We are ranked 14th in sacks. I know, I know, it's not all about sacks. You put pressure on the QB and force them to make bad throws which would be fine except we are tied for last place with 6 INT's on the year so apparently we are not doing that very well either.
not tanks fault we cant turn around to get more INts, is it?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Great post.

NorTex

Reaction score
He's had a very solid year! And he's coming off of surgery. No complaints here. People are so enamored with sacks...ughh. :facepalm: