Looking back

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
to the Parcells era, there were 3 draft picks that I really didn't care for, and I still don't. BTW, all 3 picks came in the 2006 Draft.

1. Skylar Green.....but if you look at who was taken after him....other than Elvis Dumervil, the rest are blowhards....so while I didn't care for the pick, at least I can live with it, especially since it was in the 4th round.

2. Bobby Carpenter.....I didn't want him at all. I wanted Manny Lawson in the worst way. Hindsight says we could have had Antonio Cromartie....and we would definitely not be looking for CB depth in the 1st round this year. Carpenter has done almost nothing for us in 2 years. It offends me that he wears the sacred #54....

3. Anthony Fasano.....I can't believe drafted this guy. He blows. His blocking is suspect and he drops catchable balls. We could have had Marcus McNeil, Devin Hester, or Maurice Jones-Drew (We didn't have Barber yet, so Jones-Drew might have been the more logical choice.....but, I would definitely not have complained about Hester).

zeromaster

Reaction score
Yeah hindsight is a wonderful thing, ain't it?

Now if you just had those post links handy from the draft...

joseephuss

Reaction score
Barber was drafted in 2005. Fasano as you noted was drafted in 2006.

What if Dallas took Laurence Maroney instead of Bobby Carpenter and then traded Julius Jones for whatever they could get(4th or 5th rounder?)? Barber and Maroney together again could have been pretty neat.

Eddie

Reaction score
You forgot Jacob Rogers and Stephen Peterman.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
joseephuss;1779892 said:
Barber was drafted in 2005. Fasano as you noted was drafted in 2006.

What if Dallas took Laurence Maroney instead of Bobby Carpenter and then traded Julius Jones for whatever they could get(4th or 5th rounder?)? Barber and Maroney together again could have been pretty neat.

ok thanks, i didnt look when Barber was drafted....forgot the year....makes since that it was 2005 though, DUH.....what a brain fart I had....

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Biggems;1779871 said:
3. Anthony Fasano.....I can't believe drafted this guy. He blows. His blocking is suspect and he drops catchable balls. We could have had Marcus McNeil, Devin Hester, or Maurice Jones-Drew (We didn't have Barber yet, so Jones-Drew might have been the more logical choice.....but, I would definitely not have complained about Hester).
Half of our offensive snaps are 2-TE formations. And you're upset that we spent a 2nd rounder on a player that plays half of our offensive snaps?

Jebus, that's dumb.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
The only one of those three I don't like is Green mainly because he's not on the team and contributing. The other two are just not at the level most think they should.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Eddie;1779894 said:
You forgot Jacob Rogers and Stephen Peterman.

i liked both picks....dominant linemen from dominant programs....

It was unfortunate that both had injury plagued starts to their careers.....unfortunately for Rogers, he never was able to overcome the injuries and had to quit......at least Peterman has found a home in Detroit and is playing well.

But the thought of our CB rotation of Newman, Henry, Cromartie, and Reeves is a very nice thought. Also, the thought of having Hester as our PR/KR is very nice as well. I think had we taken Cromartie and Hester in 2006, then everyone else we took, our team right now would be basically complete. Of course, we would be slightly thin at LB.....but we could address that in this draft with James Laurinitis.......but darn that Hindsight.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
theogt;1779901 said:
Half of our offensive snaps are 2-TE formations. And you're upset that we spent a 2nd rounder on a player that plays half of our offensive snaps?

Jebus, that's dumb.

I dont like Fasano, how is that dumb. I am sure there were other TEs we could have drafted later in the draft, or even picked up in FA, that would have done better, if not as good as Fasano has done so far. I am so pleased with Curtis. I wish we would cut Fasano loose, keep Curtis, and get another TE that can actually catch and not commit penalties.

joseephuss

Reaction score
theogt;1779901 said:

Jebus, that's dumb.

I had no problem with Dallas grabbing another tight end last season. There was a need for a second tight end on the team. I just didn't think Fasano was worthy of a 2nd round pick. That kid in Denver was taken a few picks later and he is doing well. The Cardinals took Pope in the 3rd round. Seemed pretty high to take a guy that just did not look that talented in my opinion.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Looking back I always come up with players I wish Dallas would have taken instead . That said , the job that Parcells did in the draft , via free-agency , and within the existing team was really amazing . I'm sure I got some of these wrong , but glancing down the roster , Parcells was responsible for :

T. Newman
T. Romo
D. Ware
J. Witten
B. James
M. Spears
C. Canty
J. Ratliff
J. Jones
P. Crayton
K. Burnett
M. Barber
J. Reeves
P. Watkins
J. Hatcher
A. Fasano
B. Carpenter
P. McQuistan
S. Hurd
M. Austin
N. Jones
T. Thompson
T. Curtis

As well as free-agents :
T. Glenn
K. Kosier
M. Colombo
A. Henry
A. Ayodele

As well as being instrumental in :
Getting Flo resigned to a longer contract
Moving Gurode to the C position
Moving Ellis to OLB
Converting Hoyte to FB

Like I said , I'm sure that I got some of these wrong , but the job that Parcells and the scouting department did was phenomenal .

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Cromartie had a serious injury in College, miss the whole year and came out anyway. Didn't play a whole lot at FSU. Carpenter isn't bad, he's just a OLB in a 4-3, he's not Tough enough to play inside nor has enough pass rushing skills to play outside in the 3-4.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Biggems;1779934 said:
I dont like Fasano, how is that dumb. I am sure there were other TEs we could have drafted later in the draft, or even picked up in FA, that would have done better, if not as good as Fasano has done so far. I am so pleased with Curtis. I wish we would cut Fasano loose, keep Curtis, and get another TE that can actually catch and not commit penalties.
You're pleased with Curtis because the only times he's ever been thrown to happen to be TD passes. If they were 2nd and 10 plays where he picked up 5 yards you wouldn't give a damn about him. If the coaches thought Curtis was better they'd play him more in base packages. They don't because he's not as good a blocker or receiver as Fasano.

joseephuss;1779936 said:
I had no problem with Dallas grabbing another tight end last season. There was a need for a second tight end on the team. I just didn't think Fasano was worthy of a 2nd round pick. That kid in Denver was taken a few picks later and he is doing well. The Cardinals took Pope in the 3rd round. Seemed pretty high to take a guy that just did not look that talented in my opinion.
Oh, please. These guys have about 350 yards between them. And neither Pope nor Scheffler have Jason Witten in front of them. And don't talk about Dan Graham being in front of Scheffler. Graham is purely a blocking TE. That's all they use him for. If Fasano was needed more in the passing game because Witten went down, he'd most certainly have more then 350 yards this season.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
theogt;1779962 said:
You're pleased with Curtis because the only times he's ever been thrown to happen to be TD passes. If they were 2nd and 10 plays where he picked up 5 yards you wouldn't give a damn about him. If the coaches thought Curtis was better they'd play him more in base packages. They don't because he's not as good a blocker or receiver as Fasano.

Oh, please. These guys have about 350 yards between them. And neither Pope nor Scheffler have Jason Witten in front of them. And don't talk about Dan Graham being in front of Scheffler. Graham is purely a blocking TE. That's all they use him for. If Fasano was needed more in the passing game because Witten went down, he'd most certainly have more then 350 yards this season.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees Curtis is nothing more than a 3rd te right now.

joseephuss

Reaction score
theogt;1779962 said:

So you thought Fasano was a mid-2nd round talent?

I just named two tight ends that were taken later. Not that they are doing better or what the reasons are for that. They were taken later. Dallas could have used that 2nd on another position and still picked up a tight end to play in what you say is about half the snaps.

The 2nd tight end does not need to be Witten. That would be great if they were, but that is not the roll of most 2nd tight ends. For that roll I don't see why you use such a high pick to fill it. Especially since like I said I don't view him at that talented. My opinion. We can disagree, but please don't give me an "Oh, please" just because you see Fasano as more talented than I do.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
joseephuss;1779989 said:
So you thought Fasano was a mid-2nd round talent?

I just named two tight ends that were taken later. Not that they are doing better or what the reasons are for that. They were taken later. Dallas could have used that 2nd on another position and still picked up a tight end to play in what you say is about half the snaps.

The 2nd tight end does not need to be Witten. That would be great if they were, but that is not the roll of most 2nd tight ends. For that roll I don't see why you use such a high pick to fill it. Especially since like I said I don't view him at that talented. My opinion. We can disagree, but please don't give me an "Oh, please" just because you see Fasano as more talented than I do.
Tight end wasn't really even on my radar, so yeah, it caught me by surprise, and no, I didn't think he was worth a 2nd rounder at the time.

But watching him over the past two years, yeah, I think he was worth a mid-second round pick. He's a good blocker, has nice size, hands and body control. I think if he was someone's #1 TE, he'd be very productive. And if Witten goes down for some reason we're all going to be damn glad we have him.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Is there anyone out that that doesn't think Parcells' drafts weren't excellent?

I think his drafting ability was one of his strengths while in Dallas.

Would be interesting to have a breakdown of Bill Parcells' draftees compared to other organizations. I wouldn't be surprised if they were very favorable compared to other organizations.

Sure, some guys like Jacob Rogers and Stephen Peterman didn't work out but alot of his players did.

This team has Bill's fingerprints all over it and we are 9-1.

joseephuss

Reaction score
theogt;1780005 said:
Tight end wasn't really even on my radar, so yeah, it caught me by surprise, and no, I didn't think he was worth a 2nd rounder at the time.

But watching him over the past two years, yeah, I think he was worth a mid-second round pick. He's a good blocker, has nice size, hands and body control. I think if he was someone's #1 TE, he'd be very productive. And if Witten goes down for some reason we're all going to be damn glad we have him.

For some reason, the tight ends taken in that draft seemed to be taken a full round higher than I thought any of them were worth if not more. I guess in todays era teams are looking to get more weapons. I guess the success of Gonzales, Gates, Crumpler, Shockey and Witten are pushing that theory. I just find it odd that Witten lasted into the 3rd while Fasano was taken in the 2nd.

Fasano may prove more worth if Witten is injured. Hopefully we don't find out in that manner. And I have some doubts about it. I watch him and just don't see it. I do like him somewhat as a 2nd tight end. I just didn't like where he was drafted.

joseephuss

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1780009 said:
Is there anyone out that that doesn't think Parcells' drafts weren't excellent?

I think his drafting ability was one of his strengths while in Dallas.

Would be interesting to have a breakdown of Bill Parcells' draftees compared to other organizations. I wouldn't be surprised if they were very favorable compared to other organizations.

Sure, some guys like Jacob Rogers and Stephen Peterman didn't work out but alot of his players did.

This team has Bill's fingerprints all over it and we are 9-1.

For the most part Parcells did a very good job. It is disappointing that there are no draft picks playing along the offensive line or are for sure ready to take over along the line. He seemed to place so much emphasis on the O-line, but up to this point was unable to fix it through the draft. Even a couple of his free agent picks were not that great.

The other was the return game. Each draft there was talk about a pick being brought in to improve the return game. I think the return game is solid, but not spectacular. You can win with solid returns. You don't need spectacular to win games. So I am not that disappointed, but he seemed to place so much emphasis on it that you would expect it to be more than just solid by now.