Looking back

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
I think I was the only one here who predicted Fasano in the second round so I wasn't surprised at all that Dallas drafted him.

If you studied various draft boards that people put out, Fasano was right in line with where most had him. Even Gosselin had him somewhere in the 50s.

So far he's exceeded most of my expectations given how the offense has changed between since he was drafted. He's been a terrific blocker as a TE and can easily see him as a top 15 TE if it wasn't for the fact he has a top 3 TE on the same team.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
joseephuss;1780026 said:
For the most part Parcells did a very good job. It is disappointing that there are no draft picks playing along the offensive line or are for sure ready to take over along the line. He seemed to place so much emphasis on the O-line, but up to this point was unable to fix it through the draft. Even a couple of his free agent picks were not that great.

The other was the return game. Each draft there was talk about a pick being brought in to improve the return game. I think the return game is solid, but not spectacular. You can win with solid returns. You don't need spectacular to win games. So I am not that disappointed, but he seemed to place so much emphasis on it that you would expect it to be more than just solid by now.

I agree somewhat.

But how many other teams have a spectacular return game?

I know this is far-fetched because some of his OLine picks were horrible, but I wonder how some of his Busts on the OLine would have played if they were blocking for Tony Romo.

I forget the poster that had the avatar saying Bledsoe needed a fence, a moat and 10 guys staying in to block for him to be effective :lmao2: .

The draft is a complete crapshoot. I think Big Bill did a good job overall, especially in the later rounds with guys like Crayton, Reeves, Watkins, Canty etc etc.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
joseephuss;1780026 said:
For the most part Parcells did a very good job. It is disappointing that there are no draft picks playing along the offensive line or are for sure ready to take over along the line. He seemed to place so much emphasis on the O-line, but up to this point was unable to fix it through the draft. Even a couple of his free agent picks were not that great.

The other was the return game. Each draft there was talk about a pick being brought in to improve the return game. I think the return game is solid, but not spectacular. You can win with solid returns. You don't need spectacular to win games. So I am not that disappointed, but he seemed to place so much emphasis on it that you would expect it to be more than just solid by now.
I don't see the point in placing blame on him for missing O-linemen in the draft, as long as he put together a decent line.

Extending Flozell, finding Colombo and Kosier, and moving Gurode back to center all happened under his watch.

That's like being mad at him (or the team) for spending a 3rd on Henson, when we ended up with Romo. All's well that ends well, I guess is what I'm saying. The particular route in getting there is meaningless.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Biggems;1779871 said:
to the Parcells era, there were 3 draft picks that I really didn't care for, and I still don't. BTW, all 3 picks came in the 2006 Draft.

1. Skylar Green.....but if you look at who was taken after him....other than Elvis Dumervil, the rest are blowhards....so while I didn't care for the pick, at least I can live with it, especially since it was in the 4th round.

2. Bobby Carpenter.....I didn't want him at all. I wanted Manny Lawson in the worst way. Hindsight says we could have had Antonio Cromartie....and we would definitely not be looking for CB depth in the 1st round this year. Carpenter has done almost nothing for us in 2 years. It offends me that he wears the sacred #54....

3. Anthony Fasano.....I can't believe drafted this guy. He blows. His blocking is suspect and he drops catchable balls. We could have had Marcus McNeil, Devin Hester, or Maurice Jones-Drew (We didn't have Barber yet, so Jones-Drew might have been the more logical choice.....but, I would definitely not have complained about Hester).

Parcells drafting compared to others is freaking awesome so suck it.

joseephuss

Reaction score
theogt;1780042 said:
I don't see the point in placing blame on him for missing O-linemen in the draft, as long as he put together a decent line.

Extending Flozell, finding Colombo and Kosier, and moving Gurode back to center all happened under his watch.

That's like being mad at him (or the team) for spending a 3rd on Henson, when we ended up with Romo. All's well that ends well, I guess is what I'm saying. The particular route in getting there is meaningless.

My complaints aren't big ones. Like I said, he mostly did a good job with the talent on the team. I agree as long as he eventually fixed the line. It took some time and the addition of Davis, but it got done. I also look at it from the long term perspective. Decisions will need to be made about Flozell this off season and Colombo next off season. It would have been nice if some draft picks along the line would have worked out that we had a better idea if they were capable of stepping in if Dallas loses either guy. McQ may still be an answer.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
joseephuss;1780074 said:
My complaints aren't big ones. Like I said, he mostly did a good job with the talent on the team. I agree as long as he eventually fixed the line. It took some time and the addition of Davis, but it got done. I also look at it from the long term perspective. Decisions will need to be made about Flozell this off season and Colombo next off season. It would have been nice if some draft picks along the line would have worked out that we had a better idea if they were capable of stepping in if Dallas loses either guy. McQ may still be an answer.

I think he is going to be a good player for us.

I also have confidence in Doug Free pass blocking wise too. He has good feet.

burmafrd

Reaction score
The only first day picks that BP had that are flat out busts are Rogers and Green. Peterman may not be starting for us, but he is for a playoff contender.
Green- a lot of so called experts thought he would be really good as a return guy and #3 WR. everyone was wrong. Rogers is the one pick I put on BP totally since he went over the scouts objections that Rogers appeared soft and injury prone and took him anyway. And he WAS soft and injury prone.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
burmafrd;1780087 said:
The only first day picks that BP had that are flat out busts are Rogers and Green. Peterman may not be starting for us, but he is for a playoff contender.
Green- a lot of so called experts thought he would be really good as a return guy and #3 WR. everyone was wrong. Rogers is the one pick I put on BP totally since he went over the scouts objections that Rogers appeared soft and injury prone and took him anyway. And he WAS soft and injury prone.

Green was a second day pick....4th rounder

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
you get no argument out of me...especially Fasano...still cannot unerstand why people defend picking a backup TE in the 2nd round. Even if you were going to a 2 TE set...which we were only doing to accomodate Drew Bledsoe. For what Fasano offers, coupled with a YOUNG PREMIER TE in front of him...it was just puzzling...you could have found Fasano types later. And before the "what about depth in case of injuries" crowd starts to chime in..understand this: Fasano could NEVER replace what Witten gives us...he is not fast enough, athletic enough, nor are his hands good enough. The pick makes me sick to my stomach

burmafrd

Reaction score
Wouldn't have anything to do with him being a ND player, would it bb?
We were looking at doing a lot of 2 TE that year. Fasano was the consensus best TE available at that pick. Very sensible and understandable.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
CATCH17;1780062 said:
Parcells drafting compared to others is freaking awesome so suck it.

impressive comeback.....well thought out and quite original.....thought provoking to say the least.:rolleyes:

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
the bottom line is this....we will know very soon if missing on so many 1st and 2nd round picks will derail a dynasty in the making.....it will be interesting to see if Spears gets a 2nd contract...if Carpenter gets a 2nd contract....if Burnett gets a 2nd contract....Fasano gets a 2nd contract. We ALREADY know that Rogers (2nd round) did not...Al Johnson (2nd round) did not...JuJo (2nd round) will not....so if the Jury is out on THAT many 1st and 2nd rounders....it is going to take a heck of a job by the front office to make up for that AND add more speed/youth to WR, CB and interior lber.

The NFC is ripe for someone to go on a nice run (much like Philly has done his decade). We have the main position solved with Romo. We have Newman. We have Ware. We have Witten. But our long term answer at LT...at WR...at RB....at RCB are going to need to be added to keep this thing going. How we add those pieces AND knock the Pats of the mountain simultaneously will be a challenge