Looking for game advice for opening game

unreeaal

Reaction score
I am planning on taking my family to the opening game against the giants. I am wondering where the best (most reasonable) place to stay is and where I should look for tickets. Any and all advice is super appreciated. This will most likely be a once in a lifetime trip so I am hoping to make it very special. Thanks!

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am planning on taking my family to the opening game against the giants. I am wondering where the best (most reasonable) place to stay is and where I should look for tickets. Any and all advice is super appreciated. This will most likely be a once in a lifetime trip so I am hoping to make it very special. Thanks!

TripAdvisor the hotel would be my recommendation. I went out with some friends for the inaugural Sk*ns game the year the new stadium opened and it was a great time.
One small side trip I'd definitely recommend is going to Mia's TexMex. It was reportedly Tom Landry's favorite place, and was the location where Jerry and Jimmy were overseen together when Jerry bought the team originally. Brisket tacos alone are worth it, and there's lots of good Cowboys memorabilia to-boot.

Can't help you much on tix. We probably sub-hubbed it, but I don't remember. I may be strange in this regard (I don't like seeing football games live, anyway), but I'd probably get 50 yard line seats at any elevation and save a bit of money there. It's hard not to watch the big screen, anyway, so as long as you're facing it, you're probably doing ok.

TheGodfather

Reaction score
It's going to depend on your budget. If you can get in the Sheraton that would be my first choice especially if you have kids. The pool is outstanding and the rooms are pretty nice. The Courtyard right up the street isn't bad and it's not a very long walk. If you're going to make a weekend of it I'd say get in on Friday night if possible and take your family over to the Stockyards on Saturday. Just wander around and soak up the atmosphere. There's some pretty good shopping, drinking, and eating down there. If that's not to your taste then Dallas has plenty of cool places to visit. My personal favorites are the Dallas World Aquarium and Southfork.

There are several places up on Lamar Blvd that are pretty good. Food etc is readily available up that way. Fast food and restaurants abound. Frankly I'd avoid any place South of the stadium.

If you need any other help just PM me because I could throw a rock and hit Jerry World from my apartment. :)

Edit.. oops just checked. The Sheraton is booked solid. Sorry about that.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TripAdvisor the hotel would be my recommendation. I went out with some friends for the inaugural Sk*ns game the year the new stadium opened and it was a great time.
One small side trip I'd definitely recommend is going to Mia's TexMex. It was reportedly Tom Landry's favorite place, and was the location where Jerry and Jimmy were overseen together when Jerry bought the team originally. Brisket tacos alone are worth it, and there's lots of good Cowboys memorabilia to-boot.

Can't help you much on tix. We probably sub-hubbed it, but I don't remember. I may be strange in this regard (I don't like seeing football games live, anyway), but I'd probably get 50 yard line seats at any elevation and save a bit of money there. It's hard not to watch the big screen, anyway, so as long as you're facing it, you're probably doing ok.
I shouldn't admit it but I've turned down free tix from people that we had season tickets next to in the 80's, I am so comfortable watching on TV with the Ticket and Red Zone Channel, my own drinks and food, not standing in line to pee and catching the other games that are before or after that going to a live game doesn't appeal to me.

There is a point, and I am not sure at what age it happened to me but I call it the "hassle factor". It's when you weigh all of the hassle of attending an event like time to and from, stuck in traffic, being around aholes and what you might be missing by being at this event against the event itself. Besides, I play DFS and am in a Pick6 league and spend Sunday's screwing around with all of that. BTW, anyone interested in the Pick6 league, PM me and I'll give you the contact info. It's a $350 buy in.