Video: Looks like 70 did report himself eligible and screwed up

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I have no problem with them looking for any advantage they can get. Just because they made my team look foolish I can't hate them for it.
How did they make the Cowboys look foolish?

The Cowboys covered the player who the refs announced was eligible (which is binding and unalterable once the Lions chose to snap the ball). Everything else the Lions did was useless nonsense. The Lions were the foolish ones for not correcting the refs once they announced a player who didn’t truly want to be eligible.

On the other hand, the Cowboys would have been “foolish” if they covered a player who wasn’t an eligible receiver.

You are wrong on this one.

Last edited:

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
No one is mentioning the fact that the ref has to verbally announce who is eligible. If he said 70 instead of 68, why didn’t the Lions say “wait a minute” and call a timeout?
The ref also directly tells the defense who is eligible. How can someone think such tactics will confuse the D? It reminds me of my annoying little brother awkwardly trying to cheat at Uno.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

The Cowboys covered the player who the refs announced was eligible (which is binding and unalterable once the Lions chose to snap the ball). Everything else the Lions did was useless nonsense. The Lions were the foolish ones for not correcting the refs once they announced a player who didn’t truly want to be eligible.

On the other hand, the Cowboys would have been “foolish” if they covered a player who wasn’t an eligible receiver.

Yeah, I kind of thought it was weird how Coach Campbell being mad enough to go for it three times didn't really say much about it in his PC. And then you had that player who was acting like the cops were talking to him when the media asked questions saying he "did what he was asked" and didn't want to say anymore. Now it's all making sense. They know they got caught cheating and don't have an out on this.

bsheeern

Reaction score
To my knowledge what Detroit was trying to do is not against the rules.

I have no problem with them looking for any advantage they can get. Just because they made my team look foolish I can't hate them for it.
So Dallas looks foolish, for not covering a guy, who is ineligible to catch a pass? Make it make sense....

Kellsbells

Reaction score
The ref also directly tells the defense who is eligible. How can someone think such tactics will confuse the D? It reminds me of my annoying little brother awkwardly trying to cheat at Uno.
And apparently it’s also announced over the stadium PA. How did no one on the field or sideline not hear it and react in any way? There should have been no surprise when a penalty was called. Sounds like their little trick confused even themselves.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
And apparently it’s also announced over the stadium PA. How did no one on the field or sideline not hear it and react in any way? There should have been no surprise when a penalty was called. Sounds like their little trick confused even themselves.
I think the Lions convinced themselves that they could get away with it much the same way teams try to get away with pick plays. Everybody knows it's illegal but just about everybody tries them and just hope the interfering receiver is a good enough actor. They clearly misunderstood the rule which states that any eligible receiver wearing a non-eligible number MUST be identified to the defense. Otherwise why not just put #77 on a receiver any time you want him left wide open.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I think the Lions convinced themselves that they could get away with it much the same way teams try to get away with pick plays. Everybody knows it's illegal but just about everybody tries them and just hope the interfering receiver is a good enough actor. They clearly misunderstood the rule which states that any eligible receiver wearing a non-eligible number MUST be identified to the defense. Otherwise why not just put #77 on a receiver any time you want him left wide open.
I think the reason why they thought they would get away with it is because they've run it before. Doesn't justify it working again though. Right calls from all involved.

BaybeeJay

Reaction score
Skipper's job was to make the Cowboys think he was reporting while in actuality it was Decker behind him that was reporting. The Cowboys bought it. The problem is so did the officials.

It's not any more complicated than that.
It's a dumb play concept for this reason. Especially end-of-season, against a decent opponent.

They should be grateful they didn't try this play in a situation of real consequence for them.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

100%

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
If the ref got confused by a substitution and thought a guy jogging onto the field and is at best 30 yards away when this is happening is the guy who is the focus and is declaring himself eligible by jogging like a normal human, as opposed to the guy right next to him actively declaring himself eligible, then you are saying he is too dumb to be a ref and should be fired for gross incompetence and maybe work fast food or something simpler for him.

If you wanted to argue that it was the one next to 68 that would at least be believable but the problem is he already started off with the painfully obvious lie that somehow 70 was the one declaring himself eligible which makes no sense. This means he is doubling down on the stupid and expecting there to be people dumb enough to believe that its the Lions fault that the ref failed at something that D3 college refs can do 100% of the time without fail. This was on the ref and it was only on the ref.

Had 68 done what is normal in that situation and motion to the ref from a distance you could argue it is a case of the Lions trying to be too cute but when you beyond what is standard and walk all the way up to the ref to make absolutely sure and he still screws it up, that is gross incompetence and the NFL is hoping there are people dumb enough to believe it was not.
I disagree. Look at the film. 70 was certainly reporting from a distance as he was running in. He motioned to his number and he looked at the ref. The ref saw him also and was certain that he was reporting.

68 failed to make a point that he was eligible. Just saying the words "reporting" doesn't mean much. Maybe he just whispered it. Or he could be flat out lying that he was reporting. That was a crucial point of the game. It is the Lions fault for not communicating this clearly. They absolutely tried to fool the refs and it backfired. Even the media is starting to report that the Lions tried to 'game' the system by trying to confuse the Cowboys. But instead they confused the refs and didn't get away with it.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I disagree. Look at the film. 70 was certainly reporting from a distance as he was running in. He motioned to his number and he looked at the ref. The ref saw him also and was certain that he was reporting.

68 failed to make a point that he was eligible. Just saying the words "reporting" doesn't mean much. Maybe he just whispered it. Or he could be flat out lying that he was reporting. That was a crucial point of the game. It is the Lions fault for not communicating this clearly. They absolutely tried to fool the refs and it backfired. Even the media is starting to report that the Lions tried to 'game' the system by trying to confuse the Cowboys. But instead they confused the refs and didn't get away with it.
Got cute
Got caught
Got beat

Drive home safely.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
it is the responsibility of the player to report to the ref. It is not the refs job to seek out the eligible player and confirm his reporting with him.
They sought to create intentional confusion for everybody, I guess they didn't care if the ref got confused.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Occam's Razor strikes true here.

Yup , Detroit couldn't Dazzle them with Brilliance, So they baffled them with B.S

They loss. Buh Bye !!!!!!!

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Detroit can prove they should have won.

In the words of Ben Grimm From Fantastic Four

In Dallas , In the playoffs,

IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME

eromeopolk

Reaction score
drawisland-2.png

• Watch video of it. #70 has his hands up and in front of his chest for half his jog to the ref. Why? Because he probably started doing universal signal for eligibility. In most games guys swipe front of their jersey from somewhere and ref nods. Detroit outsmarted itself. #70 had been doing it all game. So Ref is looking for it again, but number 70 is not admitting it because the camera didn’t catch it on the front, but he started doing his same routine and then put his arms down. I didn’t realize this until watching Kurt Warner’s video below about the ref claiming #70 patted his stomach.
  • The other critical piece is Aikman’s explanation of guys sometimes trying to be not obvious about it, in this case #68. He says it quietly, doesn’t spend too much time with ref although you can clearly see by his body language he is not sure if the ref picked it up. He looks back at 70, he is looking around, he doesn’t try to clear anything up. So again, the Lions outsmart themselves, it is NOT normal to see ANOTHER guy run out like that, and get the attention from the ref while TRUE guy is reporting.
  • Sorry Lions fans, but NFL is spot on ruling it was your fault. You tried to fool everyone and only fooled your way out of the game. You fooled the ref who then fooled the Cowboys who didn’t bother covering #68.
  • Video also does a good job showing why so many people thought it was illegal formation. It wasn’t. Just the camera angle you were looking at.

70 did not have to report because he was ineligible. 68 was eligible and did report. 70 was a ploy to confuse the defense.

Irrelevant. Because the refs are either horrible or on the NFL gambling take. There was no Dallas Cowboys tripping penalty and the big blue M&M should have been running time off the clock and not throwing stupid long in completions stopping the clock.

Also, forget ANALyitics. Kick the extra point after the penalty and go to overtime that allows any team to win.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
All this attention going to this 2 pt conversion I just don’t get it. Magic Mike should have thrown a challenge flag Lamb never had control of the ball.
Why was that never raised , is puzzling

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Rules Committee should impose a universal and obvious "I'M REPORTING AS ELIGIBLE" gesture (maybe they do it 'til Ref acknowledges them)

It's no big secret, the ref tells the defense and announces over the PA who is reporting as eligible

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Those type of shenanigans shouldn't even be allowed to begin with. There should only be one player allowed to approach to ref and that's the one who was asking to be declared eligible. The defense is huddling up and getting in position they can't be expected to watch every offensive lineman interaction with the ref and try to read their lips. That's why it is simply up to the ref announcing it and the defense picking up on that.
Technically they weren't allowed or acknowledged anyway. the lions screwed themselves trying to be tricky.

IMO this vindicates the Ref (for that one play).. Calling tripping on the wrong team at a key moment hurt Dallas.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score

Even he reported , he was not eligible as he was covered by a receiver to his left, thats illegal formation. Basically there were too many errors in this play.