Looks Like Cowboys Made The Right Choice

Matt

Reaction score
DallasCowboys.com

What's The Scoop:
With Pro Bowler Marion Barber and first-round selection Felix Jones taking the majority of the reps at a crowded running back position, it's easy to lose sight of what Tashard Choice has done so far at this year's training camp in Oxnard, Calif. The fourth-rounder has quietly had one of the better camps, showing the versatility to be a bruiser, a slasher and a receiver all in one.

But Choice doesn't mind the lack of publicity; he's just patiently waiting for his opportunity.

"I just play," Choice said after Monday morning's practice. "I can't worry about anybody else and what position they're in. Marion's a great running back and Felix was great in college and he's going be a great running back too. But whenever I get my chance I just show them what I can do and show them what kind of running back I am."

If Sunday's lone practice was any indication of what kind of running back Choice is, then the Cowboys may have found themselves a draft-day steal. The rookie had one of his best practices to date, breaking lose for several long runs and scoring a couple touchdowns. He even caught a few balls, showing what he can do in space.

But a practice like that is just another brick in the wall for Choice, though, who knows it will take many more to become the complete running back he wants to be.

"In practice you always have some ups," Choice said. "But there's always some things you can improve on. So that might be a thing to make sure of is that I have a good practice in whole in everything I do."

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I wonder how many ways they can come up with headlines for him as "The Right Choice?"

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Mid-Day Report
Looks Like Cowboys Made The Right Choice
Edward Lewis
- Email
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

August 4, 2008 3:36 PM

TashardChoice_midday_080408_300.jpg

The fourth-rounder has quietly had one of the better camps.

What's The Scoop:
With Pro Bowler Marion Barber and first-round selection Felix Jones taking the majority of the reps at a crowded running back position, it's easy to lose sight of what Tashard Choice has done so far at this year's training camp in Oxnard, Calif. The fourth-rounder has quietly had one of the better camps, showing the versatility to be a bruiser, a slasher and a receiver all in one.

But Choice doesn't mind the lack of publicity; he's just patiently waiting for his opportunity.

"I just play," Choice said after Monday morning's practice. "I can't worry about anybody else and what position they're in. Marion's a great running back and Felix was great in college and he's going be a great running back too. But whenever I get my chance I just show them what I can do and show them what kind of running back I am."

If Sunday's lone practice was any indication of what kind of running back Choice is, then the Cowboys may have found themselves a draft-day steal. The rookie had one of his best practices to date, breaking lose for several long runs and scoring a couple touchdowns. He even caught a few balls, showing what he can do in space.

But a practice like that is just another brick in the wall for Choice, though, who knows it will take many more to become the complete running back he wants to be.

"In practice you always have some ups," Choice said. "But there's always some things you can improve on. So that might be a thing to make sure of is that I have a good practice in whole in everything I do."

Quick Shots:
  • Wide receiver Terrell Owens and left tackle Flozell Adams got Monday morning's practice off, strictly for precautionary reasons again. The missed practice was Owens' second straight and Adams second in the past three days.
  • Cornerback Alan Ball returned from his lateral ankle sprain and immediately stepped back into his role in the slot in the nickel package. Ball rotated with cornerback Evan Oglseby, who had been working in the slot in Ball's absence.
  • Cornerback Terence Newman maintained a fast-paced jog from end zone to end zone during Monday morning's practice. It was the first visible time since he started his rehabilitation process from the strained groin he was able to run straight ahead at a speed quicker than a light trot.
  • Outside linebacker Greg Ellis was able to participate in team drills for the first time since hurting his back last Friday. Ellis blamed his new hotel bed for his recent back troubles and said he tried everything to fix the problem, including sleeping on the floor.
  • Linebacker Justin Rogers changed positions yet again during 11-on-11 drills, this time working back at his original outside linebacker spot. You Should've Seen:
    While Monday's first practice was another mini-camp-like workout (strictly in shorts and helmets, and at half speed), safety Ken Hamlin made the most interesting play of the day. Hamlin reached back with one hand to intercept a Tony Romo pass that bounced off tight end Tony Curtis' hands for what would have been a 40-yard interception return for a touchdown.

• Who's Hot:
    Doug Free. The left tackle has made the most of starter Flozell Adams' days off, working with the first unit in Adams' stead. Free has looked impressive in his 1-on-1s, standing up both defensive end Chris Canty and outside linebacker Erik Walden in consecutive attempts in Sunday's lone practice.

• Who's Not:
    Quincy Butler. After injuring his hamstring on the third day of training camp, Butler appears to have taken himself right out of the cornerback competition. He's missed every practice since July 27, allowing corners Evan Oglesby and Orlando Scandrick to take advantage of the increased reps at their position.

• Injury Update:
    CB Terence Newman, groin - out three weeks (7/28)
    CB Quincy Butler, hamstring - day-to-day (7/27)

• Missed Practice:
    WR Terrell Owens (rest)
    OT Flozell Adams (rest)
    CB Terence Newman (groin)
    CB Quincy Butler (hamstring)

• Returned to Practice:
    CB Alan Ball (ankle)

• Transactions:
    WR Todd Lowber, signed (7/27)
    WR Terry Glenn, waived (7/25)
    QB Jeff Terrell, signed (7/25)
    LB Khari Long, waived (7/24)

• Wade's Best:
    "If you ask a guy to run into a wall every day, and they do it for you and they prove they're going to do it, well then you don't have to ask them all the time to do that."- When talking about resting some of his players.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Tashard isn't surprising me at all I think he will be the #2 Rb goin in2 the season.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
That was an interesting Choice come to think of it...

BlueStar II

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2175196 said:
Tashard isn't surprising me at all I think he will be the #2 Rb goin in2 the season.

He could end up being the #2 rb, but - I have a feeling Felix Jones may have something to say about that though. Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad to hear that Choice is doing well in camp so far, but he'll have to go a lot further if he is to make it to #2rb over Felix Jones.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Hostile;2175154 said:
I wonder how many ways they can come up with headlines for him as "The Right Choice?"

Yeah, that "Choice" word play is way past witty and already getting tired.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Some poster here was pimping Choice for months prior to the draft. I won't mention who b/c it would just inflate his ego even more.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
BlueStar II;2175261 said:
He could end up being the #2 rb, but - I have a feeling Felix Jones may have something to say about that though. Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad to hear that Choice is doing well in camp so far, but he'll have to go a lot further if he is to make it to #2rb over Felix Jones.

Well I think the deciding factor is going to be who blocks better. I think Choice is the better blocker so he has the edge there. Which would instantly make him a better choice on 3rd downs as opposed to Felix. When it comes to receiving ability I also feel Choice is superior in that aspect and running the ball Choice had better numbers in college =)

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2175274 said:
Well I think the deciding factor is going to be who blocks better. I think Choice is the better blocker so he has the edge there. Which would instantly make him a better choice on 3rd downs as opposed to Felix. When it comes to receiving ability I also feel Choice is superior in that aspect and running the ball Choice had better numbers in college =)
:laugh2: so i guess the talk about the barber/felix packages are just bs.:laugh2:

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Rampage;2175280 said:
:laugh2: so i guess the talk about the barber/felix packages are just bs.:laugh2:

Well he was the number 1 draft choice so of course he gets the leeway early on but as more time passes we will see.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
How about a 2 back set of Barber and Choice with Felix in the slot :)

JohnL2288

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2175303 said:
you exceeded your post count for the year come back in 2 years. :lmao2:

wow, what a zinger :rolleyes:

have you been paying attention to all the reports coming out of TC about how well Felix is doing and how they are designing plays specifically for him?

Like this:

icon1.gif
Orsborn: Cowboys' Felix Jones to play a prominent role
Cowboys' Felix Jones to play a prominent role

Tom Orsborn
- Express-News

OXNARD, Calif. — Dallas Cowboys first-round draft pick Felix Jones didn't think anything of it when Pro Bowl linebacker DeMarcus Ware asked him to tag along for an interview with HBO's “Hard Knocks.”

“He took me to a certain spot (at the team hotel), stopped and started talking, and I'm listening and paying more attention to him than my surroundings,” Jones said. “After a while, I heard some noise coming from the second floor. I looked up and saw water coming down on me. I didn't have time to react and move, so I got soaking wet.”

Possessing game-breaking speed, Jones isn't likely to get caught flat-footed on the field this season. The Cowboys expect the multi-purpose back from Arkansas to have a prominent role in the third-down offense, return kicks and complement Marion Barber, the Pro Bowl pick whose bruising running style stands in sharp contrast to Jones' shiftiness.

“He can go in and bruise 'em, and I can go in and run around 'em,” Jones said.

Of course, running around 'em in the NFL could be a lot more difficult for Jones than it was at Arkansas, where he shared the load with Darren McFadden, now with the Oakland Raiders after being selected No. 1 overall.

“Everybody is fast here,” Jones said. “You got to be on your toes every step. That's probably the biggest thing for me, getting used to the game speed. When you have a defensive lineman running right next to you, that's kind of surprising.

“(In the Southeastern Conference), you might have one or two defensive linemen who can run, not the whole D-line. Here, they are right there in front of you or right beside you.”

Jones shouldn't worry. If everything works out as expected, he'll be getting the ball a lot in space, where he can showcase his moves.

A big part of the Cowboys' plans for Jones involve him catching the ball out of the backfield or even as a receiver. With the team lacking another top-flight wideout to take the pressure off Terrell Owens, the Cowboys want to compensate by making their backs regular participants in the passing game.

“You can get some real explosion in that area,” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said.

Felix Jones caught only 39 passes in three seasons at Arkansas, but he says he's eager to get the ball in his hands any way he can, even if it means being split wide as a receiver.

“When I was younger, I thought I was a receiver,” Jones said. “I'm very comfortable with it. I lined up in the slot position at Arkansas.”

Quarterback Tony Romo is well aware of the damage backs can do as receivers. Last season, Barber snagged 44 passes, a career best and the most by a Cowboys runner since Emmitt Smith collected 47 in 1996.

But with Barber expected to get the bulk of the carries, his role in the passing game could be limited. If that's the case, Jones should see plenty of passes come his way.

“He gives us a dimension we haven't had,” Phillips said of Jones. “He catches the ball better than I thought he would.”

As a Razorback, Jones averaged 9.8 yards per reception. Twice in his college career, he averaged more than 10 yards per catch for the season.

“What you're looking for is the guy to get the extra yards,” Romo said. “When you throw it 3 or 4 yards, he's going to give you 10, 12 yards. If you get guys like that, that makes life a lot easier on the quarterback.”

Coach Wade Phillips sees endless possibilities for the offense should Jones fulfill his promise as a receiver. With Barber in the backfield and Jones split wide, defenses would face a tough decision, Phillips said. In practice at training camp, the offense has used a formation that begins with Barber at fullback and Jones at tailback before Jones motions out wide.

“If Felix has to be (viewed) more as a receiver by the defense, it opens up the running game and vice versa,” Phillips said. “If they stay and stop the running game, then, hopefully, he's a good enough receiver that he could help us there.”

How does Phillips expect defenses to cover Jones as a receiver?

“That's the problem for the defense,” Phillips said. “It depends how good (Jones is). If it's Marshall Faulk or LT (LaDainian Tomlinson), or someone like that, it's hard to put a safety on that guy. You almost have to have a corner cover him, then you're giving up a lot in the running game.”

In other words, it's a situation that could leave the defense all wet.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DaBoys4Life;2175196 said:
The only thing which will prevent Felix Jones from entering the season as the number two running back on the depth chart will be injury. You've voiced your opinion about Jones last April. Please don't wish him any bad luck, okay?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
JohnL2288;2175316 said:
wow, what a zinger :rolleyes:

have you been paying attention to all the reports coming out of TC about how well Felix is doing and how they are designing plays specifically for him?

Like this:

icon1.gif
Orsborn: Cowboys' Felix Jones to play a prominent role
Cowboys' Felix Jones to play a prominent role

No I've read them, I just disregard them because what we do now isn't what going to be done in a month. I also think when felix plays against some NFL teams we will stop calling his number.