Looks like Henson Is Better Than Aikman In One Respect...

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
...Ok, I know that subject title will bring the fangs out in some of you, but it's true. :)

There is something Henson does better than Aikman, based on his performance yesterday and that is throw a wet football.

Simply put, Aikman was a bad QB in wet conditions. He even admitted he couldn't throw a wet ball. Something about the way he gripped the football. That was always strange to me. I remember Bradshaw was one of the best bad weather QBs of all-time.

But, back to Henson. In cold, damp conditions yesterday he threw the ball very well. I actually started to see the rifle arm he was purported to have.

As for his mechanics, he will never throw the ball with the classic motion of Brady or Aikman. So if you are looking for that or looking to criticize him for it, forget about it. A classic delivery is not his style. It's just not him.
He threw the ball with a 3/4 motion several times, but most of his passes had a lot of zip and he was accurate with them.

The main thing about Henson's performance yesterday that impressed me was the fact that he completed passes to 6 different receivers. That shows he was seeing the field and spreading the ball to backs, the TE, and his WRs.

In summary, even though it was NFLE, I was happy to see Henson looking more comfortable and in control of the position than he has been in the past couple of pre-seasons and last week's opening game. Hutch never looked that good while he was over there.

Hopefully Henson can build on his performance and continue to develop, even if it takes him another couple of years. One thing is certain, with Jerry around, as long as Henson shows some promise, like he did yesterday, he will be on our roster and I am in favor of showing a lot of patience.

rcaldw

Reaction score
I'm sure you know this, but Aikman played perhaps his best game of all-time on a wet field with a wet ball, the 1992 NFC Championship game in SF. I agree with you that he struggled at times with that, and himself admitted that, but I always found that ironic, that he had that game in 1992.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
Uh oh! Well we'll just have to see about that buddy. Lets wait until he plays in an actual NFL Playoff game.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
Aikman seems to be picky about the footballs.

He's always saying that the hardest thing to do playing away is playing with their footballs. Something on how the way they condition the ball and that it's different from home.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
rcaldw said:
I'm sure you know this, but Aikman played perhaps his best game of all-time on a wet field with a wet ball, the 1992 NFC Championship game in SF. I agree with you that he struggled at times with that, and himself admitted that, but I always found that ironic, that he had that game in 1992.

It was a bad field from the rain the week before, but in the game itself it wasn't raining. They were able to keep the balls reasonably dry by rotating them in and out so he didn't have to deal with it as much as he would have it would have been raining.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
It was a bad field from the rain the week before, but in the game itself it wasn't raining. They were able to keep the balls reasonably dry by rotating them in and out so he didn't have to deal with it as much as he would have it would have been raining.

Wahh?:rolleyes:

ghst187

Reaction score
the thing about Aikman was that he didn't use the laces to throw the ball, he just grabbed the back end of the ball and squeezed really hard, that's why he had a harder time with a wet ball, why you always saw him with a towel in his belt, saw him licking his fingers...

StevenOtero

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
the thing about Aikman was that he didn't use the laces to throw the ball, he just grabbed the back end of the ball and squeezed really hard, that's why he had a harder time with a wet ball, why you always saw him with a towel in his belt, saw him licking his fingers...

AH HA!:eek:

rcaldw

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:

Actually it was raining off and on that day, but I grant you it wasn't a driving rain like that one game at Philly. But, he definitely had a wet ball to deal with. It was the NFC Championship game so maybe they rotated more balls in or something.

Native Born Fan

Reaction score
Aikman gripped the football with the laces in the palm of his hand. I've tried it and it can give you a tighter spiral and perhaps more accuracy, but it would produce problems when the ball was slippery.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
...Ok, I know that subject title will bring the fangs out in some of you, but it's true. :)

There is something Henson does better than Aikman, based on his performance yesterday and that is throw a wet football.

Simply put, Aikman was a bad QB in wet conditions. He even admitted he couldn't throw a wet ball. Something about the way he gripped the football. That was always strange to me. I remember Bradshaw was one of the best bad weather QBs of all-time.

But, back to Henson. In cold, damp conditions yesterday he threw the ball very well. I actually started to see the rifle arm he was purported to have.

As for his mechanics, he will never throw the ball with the classic motion of Brady or Aikman. So if you are looking for that or looking to criticize him for it, forget about it. A classic delivery is not his style. It's just not him.
He threw the ball with a 3/4 motion several times, but most of his passes had a lot of zip and he was accurate with them.

The main thing about Henson's performance yesterday that impressed me was the fact that he completed passes to 6 different receivers. That shows he was seeing the field and spreading the ball to backs, the TE, and his WRs.

In summary, even though it was NFLE, I was happy to see Henson looking more comfortable and in control of the position than he has been in the past couple of pre-seasons and last week's opening game. Hutch never looked that good while he was over there.

Hopefully Henson can build on his performance and continue to develop, even if it takes him another couple of years. One thing is certain, with Jerry around, as long as Henson shows some promise, like he did yesterday, he will be on our roster and I am in favor of showing a lot of patience.

I dont care how Henson played yesterday, he isn't better than Aikman in anything football related!

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
that 1992 game was one of the worst fields ever for an NFL playoff game...it rained on and off, and virtually every pass Aikman threw was perfect that day

no QB throws a wet ball or plays better in WORSE conditions than good conditions...so to talk about a QB not being able to play as well in bad conditions doesnt really mean much

David

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Aikman has mentioned when covering a game that it was a combination of the slickness from a new ball and rain conditions that gave him problems. The refs (or ball boys) are suppose to rub the balls down good to take the slickness off, but that didn't always happen.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Ya know, I just gotta say, this is what I LOVE about this site...the knowledge level is fantastic. Well done.

For my money, that game in SF was the best game I ever saw from Aikman.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
that 1992 game was one of the worst fields ever for an NFL playoff game...it rained on and off, and virtually every pass Aikman threw was perfect that day

no QB throws a wet ball or plays better in WORSE conditions than good conditions...so to talk about a QB not being able to play as well in bad conditions doesnt really mean much

David

David,

No one said that a QB plays BETTER in bad conditions, but some QBs are able to play as well in bad conditions. Bradshaw was the best I've seen. In fact, he says that he liked it better when the conditions were bad. Based on his play in such conditions, I'll take his word for it.

Think what you want about Aikman, but Aikman himself has said many times, (in fact I heard him say it on a Fox broadcast last year), that he was TERRIBLE when it came to throwing a wet football. He said he couldn't grip it because of the peculiar way he gripped the football.

As for the '92 NFC Championship Game, the field was bad that day, due to the week-long rains before the game, but the weather conditions the day of the game weren't bad. In fact, the sun was shining a good bit during the game. All you have to do is watch the replay of that game to see it.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Looks like Henson Is Better Than Aikman In One Respect...

Maybe 2 respects....

1. Throws a better curveball than Troy.
2. Holds a clipboard better than Troy.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
This is rediculous, Troy Aikman played the two greatest games of his career in wet conditions, the 1992 and 1994 NFC title games in Candlestick.

The only thing Henson is better at is being a waste of money and time.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
This is rediculous, Troy Aikman played the two greatest games of his career in wet conditions, the 1992 and 1994 NFC title games in Candlestick.

The only thing Henson is better at is being a waste of money and time.

Overreaction. :D

2much2soon

Reaction score
I have also heard Aikman comment, and be quoted, many times that he hated wet, soggy footballs and had trouble with them. I recall a lot more sun that rain(if any at all) during the '92 NFC Championship game despite how much it rained in the days leading up to the game.