Looks like Henson Is Better Than Aikman In One Respect...

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
...did well in rain games he did have problems holding onto the football when it was wet.

His throwing style incorporates holding his index finger over the rear point of the football.

This would cause the ball to squirt out of his hand every so often.

It was first brought to light on national television by John Madden and is how I learned of his "wet ball" problems.

See link below for first person account from Troy on this issue.

http://ww1.nfl.com/xxxvi/ce/feature/0,3892,4874974,00.html

Rumor

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
David,

No one said that a QB plays BETTER in bad conditions, but some QBs are able to play as well in bad conditions. Bradshaw was the best I've seen. In fact, he says that he liked it better when the conditions were bad. Based on his play in such conditions, I'll take his word for it.

Think what you want about Aikman, but Aikman himself has said many times, (in fact I heard him say it on a Fox broadcast last year), that he was TERRIBLE when it came to throwing a wet football. He said he couldn't grip it because of the peculiar way he gripped the football.

As for the '92 NFC Championship Game, the field was bad that day, due to the week-long rains before the game, but the weather conditions the day of the game weren't bad. In fact, the sun was shining a good bit during the game. All you have to do is watch the replay of that game to see it.

He is very right on this one. I remember it.

Rumor

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
This is rediculous, Troy Aikman played the two greatest games of his career in wet conditions, the 1992 and 1994 NFC title games in Candlestick.

The only thing Henson is better at is being a waste of money and time.

Wrong...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
rcaldw said:
I'm sure you know this, but Aikman played perhaps his best game of all-time on a wet field with a wet ball, the 1992 NFC Championship game in SF. I agree with you that he struggled at times with that, and himself admitted that, but I always found that ironic, that he had that game in 1992.

The field was wet in the 92 championship game but it was not raining, Troy had a hard time throwing even by his own accounts however just by watching him through out his career in Dallas it was easy to see Troy had a lot of difficulty throwing a wet ball.

Hailmary

Reaction score
I wonder if BP was Aikman's coach, if he would've tinkered w/ his grip of the ball.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
davidyee said:
...did well in rain games he did have problems holding onto the football when it was wet.

His throwing style incorporates holding his index finger over the rear point of the football.

This would cause the ball to squirt out of his hand every so often.

It was first brought to light on national television by John Madden and is how I learned of his "wet ball" problems.

See link below for first person account from Troy on this issue.

http://ww1.nfl.com/xxxvi/ce/feature/0,3892,4874974,00.html

Thanks for the link. There is a first hand account by Troy of his problems with a wet football that many of us have heard, but apparently a few people refuse to accept.

The point of this thread was never to claim Henson will surpass Aikman as a QB. It was just to comment on the fact that Henson actually threw the ball very well the other day in cold, damp conditions which was nice to see. As I was watching the game I just remembered how bad Aikman was in wet conditions and thought it would be a humorous comparison.

As expected, some people take this stuff wayyyy to serious. :D