Los Angeles Mt Rushmore

joseephuss

Reaction score
I got home, turned on the TV and started flipping through the channels. Saw Undisputed and they were discussing the Mt Rushmore of Los Angeles sports. The volume was off as I was listening to the radio. Good thing because I can't stand Skip Bayless. They had four names listed: Magic, Kobe, Serena and Jackie Robinson. It was the Jackie Robinson that immediately gained my attention. I didn't recall from my history of baseball knowledge that Robinson ever played for the LA Dodgers. I did a Google search to confirm by memory and sure enough the Dodgers were in Brooklyn the entire length of Robinson's playing career.

During my Google search, I saw other older articles that also had Robinson listed on LA's Mt Rushmore. I don't get it. A great player and key part of MLB history or history in general, but he never played in Los Angeles. That seems like an important aspect in my opinion.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I got home, turned on the TV and started flipping through the channels. Saw Undisputed and they were discussing the Mt Rushmore of Los Angeles sports. The volume was off as I was listening to the radio. Good thing because I can't stand Skip Bayless. They had four names listed: Magic, Kobe, Serena and Jackie Robinson. It was the Jackie Robinson that immediately gained my attention. I didn't recall from my history of baseball knowledge that Robinson ever played for the LA Dodgers. I did a Google search to confirm by memory and sure enough the Dodgers were in Brooklyn the entire length of Robinson's playing career.

During my Google search, I saw other older articles that also had Robinson listed on LA's Mt Rushmore. I don't get it. A great player and key part of MLB history or history in general, but he never played in Los Angeles. That seems like an important aspect in my opinion.

To me, that should probably be something more like Magic, Decon Jones, Jerry West and Sandy Koufax. Maybe Kareem rather then Koufax but yeah.

joseephuss

Reaction score
To me, that should probably be something more like Magic, Decon Jones, Jerry West and Sandy Koufax. Maybe Kareem rather then Koufax but yeah.

Yep, those names definitely came to mind. Merlin Olsen, too.

I haven't really kept up with baseball in many years. I looked into other Dodgers who might be worthy. I didn't realize just how well Clayton Kershaw has been. His career stands up pretty well against Sandy Koufax.

Kershaw in 12 seasons has 169 wins, 0.695% winning %, 2.44 ERA, 2464 Ks, 3 Cy Young Awards, 1 MVP, 8 All Stars, 5 time ERA leader, 1 triple crown
Koufax in 12 seasons has 165 wins, 0.655% winning %, 2.76 ERA, 2396 Ks, 3 Cy Young Awards, 1 MVP, 7 All Stars, 5 time ERA leader, 3 triple crowns

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yep, those names definitely came to mind. Merlin Olsen, too.

I haven't really kept up with baseball in many years. I looked into other Dodgers who might be worthy. I didn't realize just how well Clayton Kershaw has been. His career stands up pretty well against Sandy Koufax.

Kershaw in 12 seasons has 169 wins, 0.695% winning %, 2.44 ERA, 2464 Ks, 3 Cy Young Awards, 1 MVP, 8 All Stars, 5 time ERA leader, 1 triple crown
Koufax in 12 seasons has 165 wins, 0.655% winning %, 2.76 ERA, 2396 Ks, 3 Cy Young Awards, 1 MVP, 7 All Stars, 5 time ERA leader, 3 triple crowns

He actually does. But for six years, Koufax was probably the most dominant pitcher ever. His early years were not great at all. His last 6, before he hurt his arm were as good as it gets. Throwing on two days rest rotations, 3 out of his last 4 seasons, posting well over 300 IP. The Dodgers basically ruined Koufax. It's really a damn shame too because he had electric stuff. He was as good as anybody over that 6 year stretch.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
He actually does. But for six years, Koufax was probably the most dominant pitcher ever. His early years were not great at all. His last 6, before he hurt his arm were as good as it gets. Throwing on two days rest rotations, 3 out of his last 4 seasons, posting well over 300 IP. The Dodgers basically ruined Koufax. It's really a damn shame too because he had electric stuff. He was as good as anybody over that 6 year stretch.

Nolan Ryan says hello