Loser Head Coach Poll

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
Who would you rather have out of our somewhat outcast Coaches?

I'd want Chan Gailey, Barry Switzer, then Dave Campo

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
MikeCowboy3189 said:
Who would you rather have out of our somewhat outcast Coaches?

I'd want Chan Gailey, Barry Switzer, then Dave Campo

i miss read it, i thought which 1 was the biggest failure. neways id pick switzer or gailey.

Roughneck

Reaction score
Ugh, I guess I'd have to go with Switzer. He did lead us to a Super Bowl Championship, even though it was still Jimmy's team.

Yeah that's who I would pick if you held a gun to my head and Switzer would be the most capable of doing that as well.

;)

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
It's gotta be Campo; 3 straight 5-11 seasons reeks. And when we did get a chance to win one he would screw it up.

We won a Superbowl with Switzer here. I know it wasn't his doing but he could have really screwed things up and we would not have gotten that SB so he gets points for that.

We at least made the playoffs with Gailey. He wasn't a great coach (or even a very good one) but we did as well with him as we have done with our current HoF (as everyone likes to remind me) coach.

EDIT:

Oops...I missread the question: If I had a losing team and was trying to rebuild i'd pick Gailey. He would want to come in and do things his way. I don't think he would do very good at it and you'd still be trying to rebuild when you fire his *** 3 years later but you'd win more games with him than with either of the other two.

But of the three I think only Switzer would have been able to get that 3rd SB taking over the powerhouse that Jimmy had build. The other two would have screwed it up.

Campo would screw it up wither way.

Big D

Reaction score
I would take Switzer. He gets a bad rap for being an idiot and a goofball but I think he's a damn good coach. His personality is kinda crazy but that never bothered me as he seems to be the kinda guy players would like to play for.

My least favorite of the choices would have to be Gailey even thoough it could be argued that he's a better coach than Campo. Just the name alone is weak.. Chan Gailey. Booooo!

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Gailey should win this easily.

Yeah, he was very very frustrating, but he did help rejuvenate the offense at times and generally the team was better.

Switzer was an awful coach and just generally a joke. Jerry proved his point when anybody could win a Super Bowl with that squad.

I cut Campo slack in his first two years, but 2002 ended it for me. Yeah, he was a nice guy, but he just wasn't a good coach and not much of a D-Coordinator either. Every time I think of Campo I can't help but think of Coach Riggendorf on "Necessary Roughness." Instead of coming up with a scheme to stop a blitz, I believe Campo's method was to yell "THAT'S A BLITZ...WATCH IT!"

Argh.

Rich.......

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
Gailey should win this easily.

Yeah, he was very very frustrating, but he did help rejuvenate the offense at times and generally the team was better.

Switzer was an awful coach and just generally a joke. Jerry proved his point when anybody could win a Super Bowl with that squad.

I cut Campo slack in his first two years, but 2002 ended it for me. Yeah, he was a nice guy, but he just wasn't a good coach and not much of a D-Coordinator either. Every time I think of Campo I can't help but think of Coach Riggendorf on "Necessary Roughness." Instead of coming up with a scheme to stop a blitz, I believe Campo's method was to yell "THAT'S A BLITZ...WATCH IT!"

Argh.

Rich.......

Watch for the blitz, and the play action, and the draw.......just watch for everything :D

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
On what bizarro planet is Barry Switzer a "loser" or a "failed coach"???????????

He has more Super Bowl rings than the entire Eagles franchise.

He's one of only two coaches to win a Super Bowl and a College National Championship (multiple championships for that matter).

I know a lot of fans didn't like him or his style.

And I'll concur that we'd have been much better off keeping Jimmy if that would have worked out.

But to call him a "loser" or a "failure" is truly baffling.

Big D

Reaction score
Danny White said:
On what bizarro planet is Barry Switzer a "loser" or a "failed coach"???????????

He's one of only two coaches to win a Super Bowl and a College National Championship (multiple championships for that matter).

And I'll concur that we'd have been much better off keeping Jimmy if that would have worked out.

I have the same feeling on this. I rememeber at the time actually wanting Switzer to be named head coach after Jimmy left. I mean, who's better to replace the coach with than his fiercest competitor?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Danny White said:

He was on a team that won a SB but he wasn't the reason they won.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Andy Reid!

Oh, you mean Cowboy coach? Campo....:star:

DandyDon

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
He was on a team that won a SB but he wasn't the reason they won.
You keep saying that, but if you asked the players of that team - I'd bet they would disagree with you. For my two cents worth - Switzer is NOT a loser!

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
I would want Switzer first, then Gailey, .. then SpongeBob Square Pants, Bozo the Clown, Howdy Doody, Gumby, PeeWee Herman, and lastly Rowdy, ... oh and then Campo.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
DandyDon said:
You keep saying that, but if you asked the players of that team - I'd bet they would disagree with you. For my two cents worth - Switzer is NOT a loser!
Well he sure wasn't much of a coach in the nfl. In was great in college but not the pros.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Well he sure wasn't much of a coach in the nfl. In was great in college but not the pros.
I don't think he was around long enough to get his NFL legs under him to the point that we saw his best.

Not many come in and learn everything there is to know about coaching in the NFL in two seasons.

I think he was a good coach at both levels, maybe not in the mold of what we think of when we think of NFL HC, but I think he came into a very difficult situation and did well with it.

And we all know he was a great college coach.