Losman/Bledsoe article from angry NYer

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Is J.P. experiencing growing pains, or is he Lost-man?
OK, don’t shoot. I’m coming out with my keyboard up. And while you’re at it, pass the crow. Cooked, raw … I don’t care, I’ll eat it—regrettably, but I’ll eat it.

And while I’m munching on my embarrassment, I will continue to try to rationalize how in the name of Vince Lombardi could J.P. Losman play so poorly for the Buffalo Bills and Drew Bledsoe play so well for the Dallas Cowboys.

If you’ll recall, I was gloating after Losman’s solid, if not spectacular, performance in the Bills’ opener, a 22-7 win over the Houston Texans. Well, this week, I feel like the sucker who just bought a “Rolex” watch for $30 from a guy on the street wearing a sleeveless T-shirt and covered in tattoos.

I confess: It certainly looks as though I’ve been had. Last summer, watching the Bills’ training camp at St. John Fisher College, I was fooled. I judged the book by the cover. I was convinced Losman had the right stuff to become a solid quarterback in the NFL.

From all reports, he spent the winter studying everything but the phone book at One Bills Drive. He didn’t brag or pop off or strut or do any of that other stuff fake confidence is made of. He made no predictions. This summer he handled himself at camp like a calm, cool, collected gunfighter whose demeanor said, “I’m ready and if you don’t believe it, hide and watch.”

Losman reminded me of Jim Kelly when he showed up in Buffalo in 1986. He was a young gun whose time had come. I even told my obnoxious cousin in Louisiana, Billy Bob, that he didn’t know a stud from a dud when he called to ask me which of the three stooges decided to drop Bledsoe and promote Losman.

Now, mind you, my opinion of J.P. wasn’t based on how he performed in practice, where hitting the quarterback will get a player in more trouble than robbing a bank. Rob Johnson—the king of football flops—looked like an all-pro when he stood back there looking downfield, fully aware that his body was off-limits. When the bell rang, though, he was lost.

Now, after three horrendous performances, all losses, J.P. Losman looks more J.P. Lost-man. Coach Mike Mularkey started Kelly Holcomb last week and the Bills beat Miami, 20-14, but Mularkey won’t say if Holcomb will start Sunday against the Jets. He might as well announce that he hasn’t decided whether the players will wear helmets or not.

Well, for what it’s worth—and right now that isn’t much—I’m not giving up on Losman yet. What he has to overcome now, though, will be more difficult than what he faced in the off-season. He has to believe in himself again (assuming he ever did), relax and play. If he’s a legitimate basket case, though, it’s a lot like being behind 28-0 with five minutes to play. Time will tell.

Meanwhile, down in Big D, they’re salivating over the “Big D” Buffalo could no longer stomach. Bledsoe is 3-2 as the Cowboys’ starter and the Fort Worth Star-Telegram quoted Cowboys owner Jerry Jones as exclaiming, “We got us a quarterback, we got us a quarterback!”

Sure seems that way. Bledsoe has completed 98 of 159 passes (61.6 percent) and thrown 10 touchdown passes with only three interceptions. And, he has been sacked only 10 times so far. His quarterback rating is 102, third best in the AFC. If Bledsoe keeps this up, President Bush may nominate him for the Supreme Court.

To refresh your memory, Bledsoe threw 43 interceptions in his three seasons with the Bills and was sacked an amazing 140 times. There were many times when he appeared to have no idea where or when to throw the ball. He had the mobility of a car with four flat tires, lost fumble after fumble and became the second most unpopular thing in Western New York, right behind $3-a-gallon gasoline.

So what has changed? Well, this falls right in there with “It’s warm in July and cold in January.” The Cowboys are giving Bledsoe time to stand back there and find somebody open instead of subjecting him to a human rockslide every other down.

Look, the guy can throw the ball, it’s as simple as that—but not with 1,000 pounds of angry flesh growling and grabbing at him. And Cowboys coach Bill Parcells has done whatever necessary to take the pressure off Bledsoe, even to the point of putting wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson in the backfield as a blocker.

Bledsoe’s turnaround this season tells me that last season the Bills couldn’t figure out how to get the most out of a 6-5, 240-pound quarterback with cement blocks for feet and a cannon for an arm.

Coaches and offensive coordinators all around the NFL are all trying to figure out how to get the most out of their personnel. Sometimes, you have to get creative and help a young quarterback work through the growing pains. Buffalo is faced with that right now with Losman. He’ll be back in the starting lineup sooner rather than later. How well the Bills handle it may well determine his future with the team—and get me off the crow diet.

Rick Woodson’s column appears each week in the Rochester Business Journal’s print edition at www.rbjdaily.com. Listen to his weekly program, “The Golf Tee,” at 9 a.m. Sunday on WHTK-AM 1280.

dallasblue05

Reaction score
I hate to laugh, but I will. (big laugh) I dont really feel sorry for them, but you've got to wonder why they didnt look to their O-line before slamming DB. Anytime a QB gets sacked 140 times in 3 seasons, I promise you, it wasnt all his fault, lol. Maybe Mularky (what a name), wasnt aggressive enough with Drew, or maybe he just didnt get in his face and tell him to find someone thats open, or get out of the pocket and try again next time. I'm very excited about how well Drew is doing, and I dont see him declining, he is 6 or 7 years younger than Vinny so I aint worried about his arm. I think we'll get better both ways each week, and we'll see this kind of stuff from Buffalo fans and media alike, all season long......all the way to the NFC championship game...lol....and yes, Drew Bledsoe plays in the NFC, not AFC. lol I had to hit on that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
dallasblue05 said:
I hate to laugh, but I will. (big laugh) I dont really feel sorry for them, but you've got to wonder why they didnt look to their O-line before slamming DB. Anytime a QB gets sacked 140 times in 3 seasons, I promise you, it wasnt all his fault, lol. Maybe Mularky (what a name), wasnt aggressive enough with Drew, or maybe he just didnt get in his face and tell him to find someone thats open, or get out of the pocket and try again next time. I'm very excited about how well Drew is doing, and I dont see him declining, he is 6 or 7 years younger than Vinny so I aint worried about his arm. I think we'll get better both ways eaceh week, and we'll see this kind of stuff from Buffalo fans and media alike, all season long......all the way to the NFC championship game.......and yes, Drew Bledsoe plays in the NFC, not AFC. lol I had to hit on that.

No doubt Bills made Bledsoe the scape goat for what is wrong with their team and is still wrong with their team. I don't think Mularky is a good coach to start with, Bledsoe was doing a good job for buffalo before Mularky took over.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
No doubt Bills made Bledsoe the scape goat for what is wrong with their team and is still wrong with their team. I don't think Mularky is a good coach to start with, Bledsoe was doing a good job for buffalo before Mularky took over.

Bingo. Mularky would do well in corporate America; he's an expert at looking like an expert while passing off blame to others. Pittsburgh's offense took off after he left, hmmmmm...

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Maybe all they needed to do was put some money into establishing an offensive line instead of a new QB...Oh well.

dmq

Reaction score
One thing I have noticed about Bledsoe since week one is that he seems to be getting way better at getting the ball out faster. I'm not seeing the tap, tap, tap that I was seeing in week one. Either way, the chemistry he has built w/ his receivers already is just outstanding. I also like it when the rush is coming, he simply throws the ball out of bounds.

Eddie

Reaction score
Did he really buy a $30 Rolex watch? A friend of mine brought an $80 Movado watch ... passed the knife test and everything. He gave it to me after he found out it wasn't real.

I wear it only on special occasions. It feels, sounds, and most importantly, LOOKS real. Who cares if it's not? As long as everyone else thinks it's real ... and guess what? Girls WILL do the do because of what they perceive as wealth. Suckahz!!!

OK, anyway, Bledsoe has been a god send, but then again, we're only 3-2. Nothing to get excited about. If he was leading us to a 5-0 or 4-1 record, I'd think elsewise.

Unfortunately, when Bledsoe's 35 and sitting on the bench for us while we search for another Franchise QB ... and Losman is playing well in Buffalo for another 10 years. We'll see who's laughing ...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Eddie said:
Did he really buy a $30 Rolex watch? A friend of mine brought an $80 Movado watch ... passed the knife test and everything. He gave it to me after he found out it wasn't real.

I wear it only on special occasions. It feels, sounds, and most importantly, LOOKS real. Who cares if it's not? As long as everyone else thinks it's real ... and guess what? Girls WILL do the do because of what they perceive as wealth. Suckahz!!!

OK, anyway, Bledsoe has been a god send, but then again, we're only 3-2. Nothing to get excited about. If he was leading us to a 5-0 or 4-1 record, I'd think elsewise.

Unfortunately, when Bledsoe's 35 and sitting on the bench for us while we search for another Franchise QB ... and Losman is playing well in Buffalo for another 10 years. We'll see who's laughing ...

Bledsoe has played well enough for Dallas to be 5-0 or 4-1 other break downs have lead to the 2 loses. As for Losman he may turn out to be a good QB he could just as easily turn into a major bust that cost the Bills a #1 draft choice.

dmq

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Bledsoe has played well enough for Dallas to be 5-0 or 4-1 other break downs have lead to the 2 loses. As for Losman he may turn out to be a good QB he could just as easily turn into a major bust that cost the Bills a #1 draft choice.

Actually, didn't it cost them a 1st and 2nd. :lmao2:

Anyway, if we get a Superbowl while Bledsoe is here, we will be the one laughing. :lmao:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
dmq said:

Anyway, if we get a Superbowl while Bledsoe is here, we will be the one laughing. :lmao:

You may be right

yesfan

Reaction score
Maybe by the end of this year,Buffalo will have had
enough of this Mularky. Lol

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
What amazes me is the free pass Tom Donahoe gets from the press. I guess it isn't too surprising since he sources guys like Pasquerelli and Goose. But exactly how long do you get to be considered a great general manager before you actually build a team that makes it to the playoffs? All offseason Pasquerelli and Goose were tripping all over themselves slobbering over Donahoe for doing things the "right way" with going with the young QB over the veteran who might help you win immediately. But when it came nut cutting time, that lasted all of 4 weeks.

NorTex

Reaction score
What's funny is that Losman got outplayed by Kelly Holcomb!

Ouch, that's got to hurt.

Cowchips

Reaction score
dmq said:
One thing I have noticed about Bledsoe since week one is that he seems to be getting way better at getting the ball out faster. I'm not seeing the tap, tap, tap that I was seeing in week one. Either way, the chemistry he has built w/ his receivers already is just outstanding. I also like it when the rush is coming, he simply throws the ball out of bounds.

I think it's also having better receivers that he can trust will get open for him. In B'lo, there was no Terry Glenn capable of outrunning and outsmarting the dbs. Moulds lost a step or 2 after his groin tear and no one else has the speed.

vicjagger

Reaction score
dmq said:

Actually, it was a 1st (Spears), a 2nd (Jones) and a 5th (Ryan, I think).

icyhot

Reaction score
Everyone should thank Bill and Jerry for this move. I remember last year people were so negative about trading down.

Eddie

Reaction score
The trade was a good one. Basically, we traded Steven Jackson for Julius Jones and Marcus Spears. Not too bad if you ask me.

I only wish we landed our own 2nd round pick in that Rogers joke. I'm happy Petitti was able to make up for that blunder, but fark, 2nd round picks don't fall off of trees.

How about a do-over of all our drafts from 1994-2002???