Lost Baggage

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Here’s a question that’s always stumped me. When you hear about airlines losing people’s baggage, what in fact has happened?

I’m talking about in modern times too when you check-in your luggage and the airline puts a barcodes tag on and scans it which presumably provides basic info like passenger and flight info.

I suppose I can understand how luggage may be put on the wrong plane and diverted to another location on accident. But how is luggage ever lost as if it can never be found again?

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I would guess most lost baggage happens with transfers or connecting flights. Maybe the baggage people are short staffed or have multiple planes come in at the same time, and the bags do not make it on time to their connecting flights.

The barcodes should eliminate most issues besides user error after scanning. I am not sure how their system is setup.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Okay, I went 10-1/2 minutes before I couldn't take her faux Valley Girl diction anymore. What's the final outcome?
All i know she said there are some stores where they sell lost luggage more like abandon storage
I was waiting for her to say gag me with a spoon ( flash back to my time at the galleria in Sherman oak)

rags747

Reaction score
Okay, I went 10-1/2 minutes before I couldn't take her faux Valley Girl diction anymore. What's the final outcome?
Ha, I watched the whole thing! She may have that valley girl thing going on but she’s got 3.5m subscribers and her videos are all getting millions of views each. She’s doing some nice coin from YouTube, beats Going into the office!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Aren't they union? If so, there's your answer.

The guy in carousel B can't touch the luggage in carousel D. But the guy who would get luggage off carousel D isn't allowed to cross the 3rd door line and his backup is taking his 5th break.

Therefore it gets lost.

Creeper

Reaction score
I remember when some airports had security that checked your claim ticket against the ticket on the bags you took. Now most airports let you take any bag and walk away with it. Maybe they should put more effort intoscreening baggage claims and less on the bottle of water you brought into the airport.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I watched a show once about this whole "business" behind lost luggage. They get put out to auction. Then people auction on them without knowing what the contents of the luggage are. The guy on the documentary won a couple. One had some electronics in it (headphones, ipad) and the other had a bunch of women's clothing in it. Lol