News: Lovie Smith a strong candidate for Buccaneers job

cowboyfan4life2

Reaction score
come on as much as I like smith I do not think he is a championship coach. he only made the playoffs three times maybe more I think with the bears and lucked into one superbowl. most of his teams were .500 teams overall. smith is a great coordinator but a average head coach. also his offenses were nothing to brag about. I bet if he is tampa bay head coach he might make the playoffs with them but they will not go far.

How do you luck into going to a sb?

He also won 10 games last year

bysbox1

Reaction score
Marinelli can, because he'd want to. Lovie will make him DC, which will be a promotion.

I was getting ready to say this.

Also, the biggest thing I've heard every GMs and owners say from teams looking for coaches is they want a coach with head coaching experience. I would assume you will see more college head coaches coming up. No one wants the head coach "project" . . . except Jerry Jones.

bysbox1

Reaction score
Yeah, Denim CHicken pointed this out and I googled a little bit. Man, young assistant coaches can get hosed in this context.

Really? Wow, that's a crappy deal, especially if it's upward promotion.

I thought they could make him assistant HC though. Or is that something that Dallas puts in their contract? I thought anything considered a promotion would allow them to go.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Yeah, Denim CHicken pointed this out and I googled a little bit. Man, young assistant coaches can get hosed in this context.

That understood, I wouldn't put it past Jones to allow him to leave for a DC position.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score

ha ha. not really, it keeps teams from making up "promotions" to steal coaches from other teams. I think it is a good idea.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

I thought they could make him assistant HC though. Or is that something that Dallas puts in their contract? I thought anything considered a promotion would allow them to go.

Head coach is the only promotion that would let him out of the contract.

khiladi

Reaction score

Yeah man, horrible. Think about a young guy that shows some serious skill, but they got an OC in place. Unless that OC is getting a HC position soon, that position coach may notbe released by the team, because they are thinking way down the road, while the position coach may be thinking short term..

I was thinking the same thing as you about titles as well, because Dallas did something for Marinelli if I recal. If the tampering rules are that explicit, then this whole title thing outside of HC is just bogus.

khiladi

Reaction score
ha ha. not really, it keeps teams from making up "promotions" to steal coaches from other teams. I think it is a good idea.

There is a limit though. A cross-move is fine, but if your going from QB coach to OC, no way is that justificable. Besides capitalism man, it stifles growth for many... The only route they would have is to probably go college and come back.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Yeah man, horrible. Think about a young guy that shows some serious skill, but they got an OC in place. Unless that OC is getting a HC position soon, that position coach may notbe released by the team, because they are thinking way down the road, while the position coach may be thinking short term..

I was thinking the same thing as you about titles as well, because Dallas did something for Marinelli if I recal. If the tampering rules are that explicit, then this whole title thing outside of HC is just bogus.

It makes you honor the contract you signed. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Also, there seems to be a gentleman's agreement that when it is an actual promotion the GM will allow it.

khiladi

Reaction score
It makes you honor the contract you signed. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Also, there seems to be a gentleman's agreement that when it is an actual promotion the GM will allow it.

They did't consider it breaking the contract back then, because it's a promotion. In this world, you get a better job, you go with it. To considerg it tampering is a joke. it's not tampering at all.

lwehlers

Reaction score
How do you luck into going to a sb?

He also won 10 games last year

the cowboys could have won ten games this year also. if they could have got a field goal against the chiefs or could have stopped the lions or if romo would not have turned the ball over. I still believe that smith is a average head coach.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
There is a limit though. A cross-move is fine, but if your going from QB coach to OC, no way is that justificable. Besides capitalism man, it stifles growth for many... The only route they would have is to probably go college and come back.

How to can you be assured that the move from QB Coach to OC is a legit move though. If you allowed them to move only for title changes, then you would not have any coaches as soon as one did good. There are very few times you have ever heard of a team not allowing a coach to move if wanted, it happens, SD blocked Wade from bring their LB coach here as DC when he was hired if I remember that right, but it is rare.

khiladi

Reaction score
How to can you be assured that the move from QB Coach to OC is a legit move though. If you allowed them to move only for title changes, then you would not have any coaches as soon as one did good. There are very few times you have ever heard of a team not allowing a coach to move if wanted, it happens, SD blocked Wade from bring their LB coach here as DC when he was hired if I remember that right, but it is rare.

That's where tampering comes in, which the NFL can investigate. Further, the guy that is moving isn't normally going to go from one place to another unless it's a promotion. And OC calls plays. It's a promotion.