Low Carb Dieting/Working Out Question

Stryker44

Reaction score
Hey, does anybody else find that a night of drinking pushes the scale upwards on Mondays? I found that out this weekend, even though I maintained my diet otherwise.

A woman on the treadmill next to me this morning asked me if I was going to be there tomorrow, and said that I was "good for her". I'll take the compliment and it made my morning, just wish she was about 15 years younger lol. She was probably mid-late 40s.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Stryker44;5004090 said:
Hey, does anybody else find that a night of drinking pushes the scale upwards on Mondays? I found that out this weekend, even though I maintained my diet otherwise.

A woman on the treadmill next to me this morning asked me if I was going to be there tomorrow, and said that I was "good for her". I'll take the compliment and it made my morning, just wish she was about 15 years younger lol. She was probably mid-late 40s.

Drinking provides a lot of empty calories that do absolutely nothing for you and yes will push your scale upwards on Mondays. Drinking on Saturday night can absolutely ruin your entire week of hard work, depending on just how much you drink.

Stryker44

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;5004195 said:
Drinking provides a lot of empty calories that do absolutely nothing for you and yes will push your scale upwards on Mondays. Drinking on Saturday night can absolutely ruin your entire week of hard work, depending on just how much you drink.

Definitely going to abstain from alcohol this weekend and see if it makes a difference.

I feel myself getting stronger and more fit...maybe I'm also putting on muscle so my weight loss has stalled a bit for now.

Stryker44

Reaction score
Anybody else find that weight loss seemingly occurs in spurts? For example, I worked out just as hard as normal last week, and lost nothing....now I'm already down 4 lbs from what I was on Saturday. Its really weird.

Stryker44

Reaction score
I read somewhere that the body retains water during fat loss, then all of a sudden it gets flushed out so that might explain it...was just curious if others experience the same thing with plateaus and spurts.

Kristen82

Reaction score
Stryker44;5009622 said:
Anybody else find that weight loss seemingly occurs in spurts? For example, I worked out just as hard as normal last week, and lost nothing....now I'm already down 4 lbs from what I was on Saturday. Its really weird.

Don't forget, your weight can fluctuate 2-5 lbs. even within the confines of a day. Depends on where your sodium levels are at, how much water you drink, how much carbs you take in, hormones, etc.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
I took more of the low carb diet but mixed it with low calorie diet. What I mean is I eat fruit, oatmeal, almonds, whole wheat pasta, ect. As of January 1st I have lost 32 pounds :) From 300 even to 268. Feels good! Haven't hit the 260's in a LONG time. My original goal was 250 by August 24th, but I may be on track for 230 hopefully.

Kristen82

Reaction score
TheCowboy;5013413 said:
I took more of the low carb diet but mixed it with low calorie diet. What I mean is I eat fruit, oatmeal, almonds, whole wheat pasta, ect. As of January 1st I have lost 32 pounds :) From 300 even to 268. Feels good! Haven't hit the 260's in a LONG time. My original goal was 250 by August 24th, but I may be on track for 230 hopefully.

Congrats! Aside from that diet helping you lose weight, you're getting antioxidants from the fruit and almonds, all that fibre from the oatmeal and w.w. pasta helps lower your LDL cholesterol, plus the complex carbs in the oatmeal and w. w. pasta take longer to break down than simple carbs so they're more stable and long-lasting sources of fuel not mention you stay fuller longer. Lots of other benefits to that diet than just losing weight. Just don't lose too much. Leave enough of yourself to love.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I had a perfect week of eating. Got to Friday and just ate myself silly this weekend.

I only have 10 lbs to go and im just struggling to get over this last hump.

That first taste of food + weekend freedom = disaster. Feel bad man.

Stryker44

Reaction score
CATCH17;5014277 said:
I had a perfect week of eating. Got to Friday and just ate myself silly this weekend.

I only have 10 lbs to go and im just struggling to get over this last hump.

That first taste of food + weekend freedom = disaster. Feel bad man.

I'm trying to keep myself doing some type of structured cardio 7 days a week, just lower intensity on some days versus others. I'm varying it between rower, treadmill, bike, ellipitical, and stair-climber so hopefully my body never fully adapts.

I've found that on days where I do absolutely no exercise and/or sleep in late are the ones where I feel most obliged to just lay on the couch and eat out of boredom.

Fortunately the gym is only 3 miles from my house...so its hard to make up much of an excuse not to go other than being lazy.

I'm not quite where you are...but its getting harder to lose fat and I'm still about 30-35 lbs from where I want to be. Cutting out alcohol has really helped me totally not lose a weeks progress over the weekend...which was what was happening to me for a few weeks.

But yeah, motivation on non-work days is definitely tougher for me as well. Its almost like when the uncompromising and rigid schedule of the work week is removed, its easier to relax on self-discipline regarding exercise and diet as well.

Stryker44

Reaction score
Weighed in at 217 this morning...albeit after a 7 mile run. So friggin happy...feeling better than I have in years, and my goals are starting to finally come into sight. I really had to work to get from 230 to 220...and am feeling enormously better in terms of endurance and overall confidence with each barrier broken. Feel like I'm finally starting to hack at shackles which have been keeping me down for years.

I'm finding some weeks are better that others in terms of progressing on both the scale and endurance...but thus far this week has been great...and I'm going to enjoy it until the next plateau hits.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
Stryker44;5032784 said:
Weighed in at 217 this morning...albeit after a 7 mile run. So friggin happy...feeling better than I have in years, and my goals are starting to finally come into sight. I really had to work to get from 230 to 220...and am feeling enormously better in terms of endurance and overall confidence with each barrier broken. Feel like I'm finally starting to hack at shackles which have been keeping me down for years.

I'm finding some weeks are better that others in terms of progressing on both the scale and endurance...but thus far this week has been great...and I'm going to enjoy it until the next plateau hits.
Congrats man. I am starting to get sick of the same foods over and over again. I made some new breakfast options for myself as a peanut butter whole wheat waffle (no syrup of course), Total Cereal, and Oatmeal. For lunch I ditched the Tuna and have had sandwiches with whole wheat bread, turkey burgers, low fat mayo, lettuce and tomatoes. Tastes like heaven considering I've had tuna for lunch for past two months lol. Started at 300, now at 259. Seems like I've hit a weight loss plateau though.

Stryker44

Reaction score
TheCowboy;5033300 said:
Congrats man. I am starting to get sick of the same foods over and over again. I made some new breakfast options for myself as a peanut butter whole wheat waffle (no syrup of course), Total Cereal, and Oatmeal. For lunch I ditched the Tuna and have had sandwiches with whole wheat bread, turkey burgers, low fat mayo, lettuce and tomatoes. Tastes like heaven considering I've had tuna for lunch for past two months lol. Started at 300, now at 259. Seems like I've hit a weight loss plateau though.

Congratulations you seem to be doing well yourself. I'm trying to vary it up myself. Cutting out alcohol on weekends really helped me not gain 10 lbs on the scale each Monday. Also varying the cardio I do between treadmill, Jacob's Ladder (that's a real kicker), a cardio kickboxing class at my gym, and a early AM boot camp my gym does (another -kicker, and was very humbling the first time I went, but I'm a competitive person so I love it). I personally find the elliptical close to worthless for me in terms of weight loss. If I need a break from running I go to stationary bike before elliptical.

Someone did tell me its 70 percent diet and 30 percent working out in terms of weight loss. I do think metabolism changes though when you "shock" your body in terms of doing a different routine exercise-wise.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
Stryker44;5033435 said:
Congratulations you seem to be doing well yourself. I'm trying to vary it up myself. Cutting out alcohol on weekends really helped me not gain 10 lbs on the scale each Monday. Also varying the cardio I do between treadmill, Jacob's Ladder (that's a real kicker), a cardio kickboxing class at my gym, and a early AM boot camp my gym does (another -kicker, and was very humbling the first time I went, but I'm a competitive person so I love it). I personally find the elliptical close to worthless for me in terms of weight loss. If I need a break from running I go to stationary bike before elliptical.

Someone did tell me its 70 percent diet and 30 percent working out in terms of weight loss. I do think metabolism changes though when you "shock" your body in terms of doing a different routine exercise-wise.
I can't lie, I HATE cardio. On my lazy days I just go on the bike, when I'm feeling good I will do 20 minutes on the elliptical and when I feel heroic I do 30 minutes, all followed up by the main event, weight lifting lol. But I can't stand running. I hear all these good things about running and I just don't like it. I think it all goes back to my football days when I was 300 lbs and was the last one on all the sprints and running drills. My stamina when I run is horrific.

Stryker44

Reaction score
TheCowboy;5033498 said:
I can't lie, I HATE cardio. On my lazy days I just go on the bike, when I'm feeling good I will do 20 minutes on the elliptical and when I feel heroic I do 30 minutes, all followed up by the main event, weight lifting lol. But I can't stand running. I hear all these good things about running and I just don't like it. I think it all goes back to my football days when I was 300 lbs and was the last one on all the sprints and running drills. My stamina when I run is horrific.

I understand, though it does get easier when you don't have as much to carry. Its also something you can build on steadily.

Stryker44

Reaction score
At 213. Trying to set a goal to lose 2 lbs each week until I get to 185-190.

Can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
TheCowboy;5033300 said:

I got a couple of recipes for you guys.

Get some Walden Farms 0 Calorie Pancake Syrup.

Some I can't believe it's not butter.

Egg beaters

Cinnamon

Truvia

Vanilla Protein

Vanilla Extract

Use about 200 grams of egg beaters

1 scoop of Vanilla protein

TBSP of Cinnamon

2 TBSP of Truvia

1 TBSP of Vanilla extract

ADD Butter Spray + Walden Farms = delicious

--------

Also Protein sludges are really good.

Throw in some chocolate protein powder with some cottage cheese and greek yogurt. Add a little bit of water. Delicious.

I make one with Cinnamon protein powder, Vanilla extract, 2 tbsp truvia, a heaping serving of cinnamon, 1/2 serving of cottage cheese & 1/2 serving of Greek Yogurt. Then throw 1/2 a serving of Raw Almonds in it if I need more fats.

SOOOOO good.

2 TBSP

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
TheCowboy;5033300 said:

How long has this plateau lasted? You probably need to drop your calories by 100 or do more cardio.

Eating healthy foods will only carry you for so long. At some point you must track calories.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
CATCH17;5045198 said:
How long has this plateau lasted? You probably need to drop your calories by 100 or do more cardio.

Eating healthy foods will only carry you for so long. At some point you must track calories.
I think I do need to do more cardio. I am down to 255 from that post.