LT will face PFF top 20 Edges in 7 of first 10 games

_sturt_

Reaction score
2024-08-13_21-18-58.png.522f1e81b109692cac6f7ba532f801c2.png

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-highest-graded-interior-edge-defenders-2023-nfl-season

As concerned as obviously any team... even one without a rookie starter... should be going up against this pass rush, I'm even more concerned about the rushing attack if we don't add a veteran to the mix. Of course, this is coming from someone who had already been advocating for replacing Edoga sans injured toe. If we don't hear tomorrow that they're bringing someone in for a tryout (... I mean, I give them today just to make phone calls and buy airline tix... ) I'm gonna reach a new low in my expectations for this season.

rambo2

Reaction score

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-highest-graded-interior-edge-defenders-2023-nfl-season

As concerned as obviously any team... even one without a rookie starter... should be going up against this pass rush, I'm even more concerned about the rushing attack if we don't add a veteran to the mix. Of course, this is coming from someone who had already been advocating for replacing Edoga sans injured toe. If we don't hear tomorrow that they're bringing someone in for a tryout (... I mean, I give them today just to make phone calls and buy airline tix... ) I'm gonna reach a new low in my expectations for this season.
Our rookie starter is excellent.

Reactions: CWR

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

So? It’s the NFL. Every LT faces top competition. That’s why they drafted him in the 1st round to handle them. I heard the same thing about Tyler Smith and he ended up All Pro. Watch the game tape of him against the Rams.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Don't mistake my post for an anti-Guyton post.

But

(a) don't get full of yourself, there is something called regression to the mean, and it is real in the world of statistics... ie, there will be a day, and plausibly sooner than anticipated, that there will be a 1st round O-lineman who falls short of expectations... hopefully just not yet... and

(b) 21 snaps is good, but we have a long ways to go before you get to declare this pick a success... again, though, hopefully that's coming... and

(c) regardless, you should have something better than Edoga anyways, especially under these circumstances.

1time4urMind

Reaction score

Your expectations will reach an all time low if we don't bring in a camp body for a tryout? Cuz Edoga went down?

Good luck with that, then.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Your expectations will reach an all time low if we don't bring in a camp body for a tryout? Cuz Edoga went down?

Good luck with that, then.
Camp body = UFL star

Legit, walk-in-the-door-walk-on-the-field candidate to be your LT starter, or at minimum back-up = David Bakhtiari (with the assumption that doctors are satisfied he's ready... but you have to actually bring him to Frisco to make that call, of course)

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Doesn't even have to be a team with an orange arrow, there's always that one player who gives us fits to the point I wish one of our guys would do that

_sturt_

Reaction score
It is good for the young LT to learn under fire.. Whatchatalkinbout Willis? Playoff teams all will have stud pass rushers.
True., and true.

But what you don't want is having no proven options as an alternative if your preferred option doesn't turn out to be ready just yet.

And again... it's not only the idea of possibly submitting your QB1 to getting clobbered and injured for a chunk of the season... but it's also just as much about having a run game asset, or same thing said another way... about not having a deficit at LT. (The latter being Guyton's bigger problem in college.)

Decent-to-good results in a mere 21 snaps... and at that, against very very very pedestrian competition on the other side of the line, obviously inferior to any of the beasts that will be there once the season starts... is getting celebrated here in extraordinarily silly ways.

There is a lot more we need to see in these next two games from Guyton, and there is, thus, a lot of reason to want to have some Plan B ready. Now maybe the coaches are just that sold on Richards. Maybe. I'm not sure they are. But maybe. There is no perfect Plan B. I just feel more secure going with someone who has been there, and you have some reason for confidence that you know what you'll get out of that Plan B if you had to go that route.

_sturt_

Reaction score
You know what I’ve come to realize? Don’t worry about our first round linemen. Because at the end of the day they will be the least of our concerns…..
That undergrad stats course you decided not to take is coming back to haunt you... there is no fairy god mother overseeing this... there will be a regression to the NFL league-wide mean at some point, it's just a matter of when.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
The strongest blades are forged in the hottest flames. Guyton may struggle some, but between that and squaring off against Micah every day, I imagine he will develop into a great starter by years end.

1time4urMind

Reaction score
Camp body = UFL star

Legit, walk-in-the-door-walk-on-the-field candidate to be your LT starter, or at minimum back-up = David Bakhtiari (with the assumption that doctors are satisfied he's ready... but you have to actually bring him to Frisco to make that call, of course)

If this was 4 or 5 years ago, Bakhtiari would be a great signing.
It seems like he'd still have the chance to beat out Edoga. Maybe, the vet doesn't want to come into a competition or backup situation? Solari doesn't like him? His body is done? He's not good enough, at this point, to be anything more than a progress stopper?
I dismissed any Cowboy interest in him awhile ago for two reasons.
One, I don't think you can count on him to stay healthy for 17 games, and Tyron was allowed to walk for that very reason. So, I don't think that he is high on their list if he hasn't been taken off entirely.
Two, I don't think that they think he is that much better than an Edoga or Richards at this point. I disagree. I think with Guyton being your starting LT, Bakhtiari would be a great backup and mentor on the sidelines. But, I don't have any inside info.
Personally, I would love an Edoga upgrade.
But, yeah, I figure there is a reason nobody is kicking the tires on that old truck.
Part of me is hoping we get into a Jason Peters kind of situation with Bakhtiari. Bring him onto the practice squad while he gets into football shape. Have him helping Guyton along like Peters helped T. Smith along. Have a, hopefully, steady veteran ready to step in if needed. No progress stopping. Just depth.
Even if he's a little washed up, I doubt he makes as many mistakes as Edoga. But, I gave up on the idea until Edoga and Bostick got hurt.
And with the lack of OT depth in the NFL, there are 31 other teams choosing not to put him on their 90 man roster, too. So, I think my memory of the player may be clouding my current evaluation.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Come on man I don't know how many times I've had to say this they do not leave guys on guys like Parsons or miles Garrett are any of those guys typically one-on-one you have to devise a game plan to go find them and usually have to put a running back or tight end to chip them or double team them they're the best left tackles in football sometimes need help against guys like this.. So why worry about it now the entire NFL sees guys like this and you have to devise game plans you don't go say hey online go have a vanilla blocking scheme and just go block this guy one-on-one no they will figure out a way to shade the line to them ie have 2 OL on them have rb or te go get the other guys etc ..

Elite pass rushers will always be a problem for all teams and all offensive lineman it is up to the coaches to devise game plans to get this figured out and by God you better find you a run game because that's the best alternative you run right at him that's what they do to Parsons you find a way to have an effective run game you slow these guys down and then you have quicker passes motion you make these guys run all over the field and set it right at your quarterback that is what you should be doing..​
We've seen Parsons get neutralized but usually what that does is open up the other areas on the defensive line to go get a sack... So you just have to find a way to get it done...​

blueblood70

Reaction score
The strongest blades are forged in the hottest flames. Guyton may struggle some, but between that and squaring off against Micah every day, I imagine he will develop into a great starter by years end.
I think fans forget this isn't preseason this isn't gonna be practice when they game plan they gotta go find the elite pass rushers they're gonna have to double them chip them find a strong run game run at them a lot of motion make them chase guys get them tired that's what they do to Parsons you just gotta hope the other guys can block the other guys straight up when you gotta go find the elite pass rusher this is about game planning and then having your players be able to carry out your game plan and be effective and not miss blocks and miss assignments... The NFL's not new trying to find and neutralize the top players on someone else's team is what game plans are all about that's why the better coaches who have coached this team up and prepared them throughout the week for these types of games where you gotta go key on some of these guys they're gonna win more...