LT will face PFF top 20 Edges in 7 of first 10 games

75boyz

Reaction score
Tyler Smith kicking out to LT is the only viable plan B. No other back up tackle on the squad is good enough to handle the schedule's opposing d lines this year.
Then it's all about who can step in at LG.
Probably Bass based off last year.

cmoney23

Reaction score
2024-08-13_21-18-58.png.522f1e81b109692cac6f7ba532f801c2.png

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-highest-graded-interior-edge-defenders-2023-nfl-season

As concerned as obviously any team... even one without a rookie starter... should be going up against this pass rush, I'm even more concerned about the rushing attack if we don't add a veteran to the mix. Of course, this is coming from someone who had already been advocating for replacing Edoga sans injured toe. If we don't hear tomorrow that they're bringing someone in for a tryout (... I mean, I give them today just to make phone calls and buy airline tix... ) I'm gonna reach a new low in my expectations for this season.
Well, they have to face Tyler Guyton... sooo... there!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Don't mistake my post for an anti-Guyton post.

But

(a) don't get full of yourself, there is something called regression to the mean, and it is real in the world of statistics... ie, there will be a day, and plausibly sooner than anticipated, that there will be a 1st round O-lineman who falls short of expectations... hopefully just not yet... and

(b) 21 snaps is good, but we have a long ways to go before you get to declare this pick a success... again, though, hopefully that's coming... and

(c) regardless, you should have something better than Edoga anyways, especially under these circumstances.
Guyton has already exceeded expectations. It’s much easier to see how a LT plays vs a DT and Guyton looks like a man amongst boys out there. Sure he’s a rook and will get and NFL education quickly but he looks up to the task. Just like Tyler Smith, Fred and Martin looked.

Reactions: CWR

_sturt_

Reaction score
Folks, there is no perfect Plan B.

But there needs to be a decent Plan B.

That's all I'm saying.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
No excuses.

We let our 1st team All-Pro LT walk to be replaced by an unproven rookie and some here believe the O-Line will he better for it.
Agreed , But with Tyron the availability was a questionable thing and so new blood infusion was necessary, but may be now he goes to another team and plays all 17 games ( just our luck )

CWR

Reaction score
Don't mistake my post for an anti-Guyton post.

But

(a) don't get full of yourself, there is something called regression to the mean, and it is real in the world of statistics... ie, there will be a day, and plausibly sooner than anticipated, that there will be a 1st round O-lineman who falls short of expectations... hopefully just not yet... and

(b) 21 snaps is good, but we have a long ways to go before you get to declare this pick a success... again, though, hopefully that's coming... and

(c) regardless, you should have something better than Edoga anyways, especially under these circumstances.
(a) I think we regress to the mean every time we draft a first round d lineman. Hopefully that is good enough to check off the statistics box.

_sturt_

Reaction score
(a) I think we regress to the mean every time we draft a first round d lineman. Hopefully that is good enough to check off the statistics box.
That's some short-sighted nonsense right there.

In the Jerry Jones era, the Cowboys have drafted the following defensive linemen in the first round...

• Russell Maryland
  • Kelvin Pritchett
  • Shante Carver
  • Greg Ellis
  • Ebenezer Ekuban
  • Demarcus Ware
  • Marcus Spears
  • Taco Charlton
  • and now... Mazi Smith

... and have drafted the following offensive linemen in the first round...

• Tyron Smith
  • Travis Frederick
  • Zack Martin
  • Tyler Smith
  • and now... Tyler Guyton

The former list, rather, is what you might want to consider as being close to the mean to which one might expect to regress toward.

CWR

Reaction score
That's some short-sighted nonsense right there.

In the Jerry Jones era, the Cowboys have drafted the following defensive linemen in the first round...

• Russell Maryland
  • Kelvin Pritchett
  • Shante Carver
  • Greg Ellis
  • Ebenezer Ekuban
  • Demarcus Ware
  • Marcus Spears
  • Taco Charlton
  • and now... Mazi Smith

... and have drafted the following offensive linemen in the first round...

• Tyron Smith
  • Travis Frederick
  • Zack Martin
  • Tyler Smith
  • and now... Tyler Guyton

The former list, rather, is what you might want to consider as being close to the mean to which one might expect to regress toward.
Dear lord, it's all nonsense to begin with. You stat geeks need to relax. The art of drafting is about alot more than numbers.

Never would I include the entire Jones era to begin with. I'd go back to when Mcclay started to oversee the draft. In an attempt to be more accurate you way over shot the mark. Try 2014 or so.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
2024-08-13_21-18-58.png.522f1e81b109692cac6f7ba532f801c2.png

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-highest-graded-interior-edge-defenders-2023-nfl-season

As concerned as obviously any team... even one without a rookie starter... should be going up against this pass rush, I'm even more concerned about the rushing attack if we don't add a veteran to the mix. Of course, this is coming from someone who had already been advocating for replacing Edoga sans injured toe. If we don't hear tomorrow that they're bringing someone in for a tryout (... I mean, I give them today just to make phone calls and buy airline tix... ) I'm gonna reach a new low in my expectations for this season.
And TG is going to whip all they a**es too!

_sturt_

Reaction score
Dear lord, it's all nonsense to begin with. You stat geeks need to relax. The art of drafting is about alot more than numbers.

Never would I include the entire Jones era to begin with. I'd go back to when Mcclay started to oversee the draft. In an attempt to be more accurate you way over shot the mark. Try 2014 or so.
Thanks. Not sure we need to bring the lord into it, but I'll relax since you asked. :)

"Stat geek" is too flattering. I'm just a humble football fan who happens to have taken his graduate courses in research methods seriously, and knows just enough about probabilities to be dangerous.

That said, you know you're on thin ice to begin with... hence the interest to suggest repositioning the goal posts to something more welcoming to the desired conclusion... saying the very same draft overseers know how to draft HoFers at one position, but are complete nincompoops when it comes to this other position is just absurd on its face.

Yes, there is art to drafting, if by "art" we're talking about appreciating, say, the smoothness of how a lineman moves his feet--areas where there's plausible correlation between some factor and likely success, but nothing you can actually put a number on. Yes, self-evidently, there is a numbers/science aspect to drafting. And then, there's the random chance element that is the sum of the myriad factors that no one is able to measure or anticipate but that effect the outcome... which with some regularity ends up being the major factor... and thus, the most consistent reason for regression... or in other cases, progression... to the mean.

CWR

Reaction score
Thanks. Not sure we need to bring the lord into it, but I'll relax since you asked. :)

"Stat geek" is too flattering. I'm just a humble football fan who happens to have taken his graduate courses in research methods seriously, and knows just enough about probabilities to be dangerous.

That said, you know you're on thin ice to begin with... hence the interest to suggest repositioning the goal posts to something more welcoming to the desired conclusion... saying the very same draft overseers know how to draft HoFers at one position, but are complete nincompoops when it comes to this other position is just absurd on its face.

Yes, there is art to drafting, if by "art" we're talking about appreciating, say, the smoothness of how a lineman moves his feet--areas where there's plausible correlation between some factor and likely success, but nothing you can actually put a number on. Yes, self-evidently, there is a numbers/science aspect to drafting. And then, there's the random chance element that is the sum of the myriad factors that no one is able to measure or anticipate but that effect the outcome... which with some regularity ends up being the major factor... and thus, the most consistent reason for regression... or in other cases, progression... to the mean.
First and foremost, I am not passionate about this at all. I understand your point, and was half joking, hence I'm not really invested. It's fairly obvious sooner or later we'll miss. Just like sooner or later the Cowboys will win another superbowl. Given enough time it will all come to fruition.

The "art" I speak of is the intangibles. What can't be quantified with statistics is the difference between a Tom Brady and a Ryan Leaf. There's not a number for a players heart, or commitment etc.

You don't need to be an expert, but simply need common sense and some knowledge of our history to understand McClays drafts. We are absolutely better at drafting day one oline players than dline. It's not even an argument. Pointing out McClays tenure is not shifting the goal post, it's having a conversation of actual relevance. You can argue Jerry still oversees the draft, but you're not going to tell me there's no difference since the days of drafting Quincy Carter, for example.

_sturt_

Reaction score
We are absolutely better at drafting day one oline players than dline. It's not even an argument.
If you say so... Mr. Non-Invested... hehe.

Never mind debunking anything said to the contrary.

Just one comment... disagreement isn't on its own an actual argument or line of reason... it's just disagreement.

Carry on.

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
If you say so... Mr. Non-Invested... hehe.

Never mind debunking anything said to the contrary.

Just one comment... disagreement isn't on its own an actual argument or line of reason... it's just disagreement.

Carry on.
Alright dang it, I'm just gonna go off the top of my head.

Zach Martin
Tfred
Tyler
and now the rook (I know I'm way ahead but reports are glowing)

Vs who?

Taco
Mazi

You can count Parsons too, although he was drafted as an off ball LB. The year we didn't have a first we took Tristan Hill in round 2.

Since Mcclay became asst director/director of player personnel we have unequivocally been better at drafting oline early.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Folks, there is no perfect Plan B.

But there needs to be a decent Plan B.

That's all I'm saying.
B has already been in place they've drafted the last five years Richards, Waletzgo and Ball.. They bought brought in Peters they brought in Edoga ad Bostic and the UFL OT just signed because of the 2 injuries.

And by the way if you need an emergency plan it's obvious if it looked that dire then we had an overflow of really good guards we would move Tyler Smith back outside... So there you go I gave you Plan B and I gave you emergency which is plan E...