News: LVE confirms he has spinal stenosis

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Calvin Ridley should've been the pick.

LVE was amazing his rookie year. But even before his injury, he was bad. Playing soft. Which many of us believed was his weakness in college.

Sucks that he's injured and I hope he stays healthy, but his career prospects look pretty dim right about now
You’d rather have Calvin Ridley than Gallup though? I always felt they should’ve double dipped at receiver in that draft but I doubt they would’ve. I wanted them to do it in the second and third though.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I'm seriously interested in what may come out about this in the years ahead. Did LVE and his camp know and hide the condition, did the Dallas medical team miss it or were they aware and Dallas drafted the kid anyway?

At any rate, sounds like a one contract player and adds linebacker to the draft list.

morat1959

Reaction score
My goodness. Only these “Dallas Cowboys”

What a terribly run organization

All those gambles on injured players and troubled players and Jerry and crew didn’t hit on not one of them. Not a single one
We are run by a bunch of wanna be football guys. It’s starts at the top with an captain clueless.

Swanny

Reaction score
Remember the debates here on CZ a month ago where people jumped up and down indicating that the spinal stenosis thing was just a vicious rumor and that he just had a "stinger" in college?
I was not jumping up or down or even got involved in that discussion in any kind of way. But at that time it was a rumor.

perrykemp

Reaction score
I was not jumping up or down or even got involved in that discussion in any kind of way. But at that time it was a rumor.

Your right. As fans we don’t have access to the medical info. All we can do is speculate.

Rayman70

Reaction score
LVE has a very small window to be good. I say he may have 2 years left in him playing at peak level.We better address this position. We will lose Lee and could even trade Jaylon.

willia451

Reaction score

"I've got a new set of pads being built............."

xHnpsqF.png

perrykemp

Reaction score
"I've got a new set of pads being built............."

Saw that quote. Making a new set of pads to protect the neck -- I wonder what will look like.

How do you protect the neck of an NFL inside / middle linebacker?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hmm, surgery for stenosis is usually the last option when other treatments are ineffective. It was irresponsible to draft LVE if they did know of this ahead of time because it will continue to deteriorate.
Surgery will not repair stenosis to the point of being able to play a contact sport.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
My goodness. Only these “Dallas Cowboys”

What a terribly run organization

All those gambles on injured players and troubled players and Jerry and crew didn’t hit on not one of them. Not a single one

Except last year well over half this board was saying we had the best linebackers in the league. Sean Lee is still our best LB and it really isn't close. Jaylon looks like it is incredibly hard for him to move laterally and he has no instincts. Vander Esch might be another flash in the pan....he looked great when healthy but seems destined to follow the Lee path with injuries....and having a congenital condition like stenosis really isn't a recipe for a long career. It's what ended Itvin's career and any person playing with it is significantly increasing the risk of a life changing injury.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Wish him well health wise but what a dumb pick.

So many wasted draft picks over the last few years because of the terrible decisions this FO has made. Ridiculous.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
People blasting the front office have no idea what his MRIs looked like before they drafted him.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They had to know about it to some extent... a number of teams took LVE off their draft board. The wildcatter rolled the dice.

The SENILE Wildcatter rolls the dice way too often and never wins. He is a stupid gambler when it comes to football operations. It can't be run the same way as any of his business. Not to building a team anyway.

Just another failed gamble at this point. Though I am still not sure about Jaylon, looks like that paid off so he rolls the dice again. The thing was they weren't sure about Smith when they selected LVE. Both had great years in 2018. This season I think it was more coaching and scheme. Which is why I want to see Jaylon under a new staff and scheme.

Hopefully it all works out for LVE, but I can see him retiring during TC also.

Plankton

Reaction score
Good recall on DeVonte Holloman. Stenosis also is what ended Michael Irvin's career. Andy Katzenmoyer as well.

I don't see a long career for Vander Esch with this condition. It's not like a linebacker can avoid contact to the head/neck by the nature of his position.

It's interesting - the Cowboys under Jones have had a tolerance for taking guys with either character or potential injury issues in the hope of striking it big on a distressed asset. One time that they didn't was with Shaun Rogers in the 2001 draft. He was sitting there in the second round for the Cowboys to take, and they ended up going with Quincy Carter and Tony Dixon, followed by Willie Blade in the third. When Jones was interviewed about the picks, and was asked about why they didn't take Rogers, Jones said that the X-Rays and scans showed that his ankle was a risk. When pressed further, Jones said that he had looked at the X-Rays himself.

Rogers went on to play 13 years in the league, making three Pro Bowls. Carter, Dixon and Blade never made it to a second contract with the Cowboys.