MacMahon Twitter Mailbag - 06/22/13 - Why won't Romo declare himself elite?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jun 23
10:36
AM CT
By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com
Let’s get right to your questions for this weekend’s Twitter mailbag. If I don't touch on your topic, feel free to hit me up @espn_macmahon.

@AboutTHEChu: Why does Romo himself not come out and say he's an elite QB like every other QB? It's like he lacks confidence?

Is declaring yourself elite before the season now a prerequisite for making a Super Bowl run? I know Eli Manning and Joe Flacco both did it, but I’m not quite convinced there’s a correlation between the “elite” self-proclamation and a Super Bowl ring.

If Romo does it, it’s an easy headline and sports talk radio/First Take topic. He gets ripped for thinking he’s in Tom Brady’s class when Brady has three times as many Super Bowl championships as Romo does playoff wins. There really isn’t any benefit here for Romo, who is often intentionally mundane with the media.

The closest you’ll come to hearing Romo call himself elite is him insisting that he’s “not an 8-8 quarterback.” But rest assured that he doesn’t lack for confidence.

@StevieJ626: Punt return duties...Did Harris do enough to keep that job or will Dez have another crack?

I seriously doubt that Dez Bryant will ever be used as a punt returner again. Maybe it’s a coincidence that everything clicked for him as a receiver right after he was stripped of punt return duties, but there’s no reason to mess with success. It’s a risk/reward issue, and his disappointing performance as a punt returner last season didn’t come close to justifying the risk of the Cowboys’ most dynamic weapon being injured.

And Harris makes the decision extremely easy this season.

Talk about seizing an opportunity: Harris ranked second in the NFL with an average of 16.1 yards per punt return, including a 78-yard touchdown that gave the Cowboys the lead in Philadelphia. He was everything the Cowboys hoped Bryant would be in that role.

@AdamWBritt: It seemingly took the Dallas D awhile to transition to Rob Ryan's 3-4 defense (if they ever did). Same transition period with Tampa 2?

It better not be. The Valley Ranch decision-makers have mentioned many times that Monte Kiffin’s scheme is much simpler than Rob Ryan’s three-inch-binder 3-4. They believe – and sure hope – that the pre-snap confusion we often saw during Ryan’s reign will be eliminated.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...ag-why-doesnt-tony-romo-declare-himself-elite

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Singing your own praises usually isn't a good thing.

Proclaiming oneself to be "elite" is probably a foolish thing to do, 9 times out of 10.

CowboysPhan

Obsequious Cowboys Toadie
Reaction score
Really? They want Romo to declare himself elite? Talk about a foolish thing to do! That would do nothing but bring
the body-slamming critics out of the woodwork and make him a laughingstock. The notion that his not declaring himself elite shows a lack of confidence is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! What, there's no room for humility anymore? To me, anyone should let other people be the ones who declare you to be elite. It's like the old saying says, "It's more impressive when people discover your good qualities without your help."

pgreptom

Reaction score
No they in this... just a fan who didn't think it through.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Romo has never been questioned for his confidence by anyone who met him. I'm pretty sure MacMahon teetered on calling him cocky back in 2006 when there was talk about replacing Bledsoe.

Plankton

Reaction score
I'm one who doesn't think Romo is as confident as he's portrayed. I think the performance against Washington last year was the performance of someone who was pressing big time due to a lack of confidence.

But, that's one man's opinion.