Madden to join NBC for Sunday night football

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
Madden joins NBC for Sunday night football
25-year broadcaster, former championcoach was doing 'Monday Night' on ABC

NBCSPORTS.com
Updated: 11:01 a.m. ET June 15, 2005

Former NFL champion coach and longtime broadcaster John Madden will join NBC Sports as the game analyst for the inaugural 2006 season of "NBC's Sunday Night Football," NBC Sports announced Wednesday.

Dick Ebersol, chairman of NBC Universal Sports & Olympics, will make the official announcement later Wednesday about Madden, who has won 14 Emmy Awards for Outstanding Sports Analyst/Personality. He has been an NFL analyst for 25 years, since retiring as coach of the Oakland Raiders.

In 2009, Madden will call his 11th Super Bowl in Tampa, Fla., on NBC.

Madden coached the Raiders to an overall record of 103-32-7, including seven AFC Western Division titles and a victory over the Minnesota Vikings in Super Bowl XI. His .750 winning percentage is the best of any head coach in NFL history.

He was a linebacker coach to begin his NFL coaching career with Oakland in 1967, and became head coach in 1969 at age 33, the youngest head coach in the old American Football League. Madden retired in 1979 and started his broadcasting career at CBS in 1980. Madden also was the lead NFL analyst for FOX from 1994-2002.

Before coaching in Oakland, Madden was the defensive coordinator at San Diego State from 1964-66 where the Aztecs were ranked first among small colleges with a 26-4 record. From 1960-64 Madden coached at Hancock Junior College in Santa Maria, Calif.

"NBC's Sunday Night Football" is the NFL's primetime network television package. The six-year deal, which includes innovative flexible scheduling, begins with the 2006 season, continues through 2011 and includes Super Bowls in 2009 and 2012 and Pro Bowls in the same years.

For each of the six seasons, NBC will kick off the regular season with a Thursday night primetime game. The first regular season game of the new agreement, NBC's "NFL Kickoff 2006," launches the NFL regular season on Thursday, Sept. 7, 2006 in primetime.

The agreement calls for 16 regular-season Sunday night games, each season's "NFL Kickoff" Thursday night primetime game, two postseason Wild Card games and three preseason games in primetime. NBC also will broadcast Super Bowl XLIII in 2009 in Tampa, Fla. and XLVI in 2012, and Pro Bowls in the same years.

Under the deal, the NFL provides flexible game scheduling over the final seven weeks of the regular season. The flexible game selection, offered for the first time by the NFL, ensures marquee matchups over the final seven weeks of the season when many teams' playoff chances are at stake.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Wow, this had been rumored, but I'm kind of surprised...

I shudder to think of who will be doing MNF on ESPN now.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab said:

Probably the same dufus trio who's been doing the SNF broadcast on ESPN. :banghead:

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:

You and I both.

I really dont want to see Joey T. on Monday night. Former Commander or not he is a terrible commentator.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Thank God football starts within the first 7 days of Sept and not almost mid Sept like last year. I'm really happy for the flexible scheduling. No more "who cares" games to suffer through. NBC seems to have a good plan. I hope they get rid of all that mainstream, hollywood pregame and halftime crap. Let's keep it about the game and the participants.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Kittymama said:
Madden joins NBC for Sunday night football
25-year broadcaster, former championcoach was doing 'Monday Night' on ABC

NBCSPORTS.com
Updated: 11:01 a.m. ET June 15, 2005

Former NFL champion coach and longtime broadcaster John Madden will join NBC Sports as the game analyst for the inaugural 2006 season of "NBC's Sunday Night Football," NBC Sports announced Wednesday.

Oh god will I live to see a day when this idiot is retired!?

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Wouldn't it be awesome to see Troy and Al on Monday night football?

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Troy and Moose with Darren as a sideline reporter :yourock:

It's so hard to tell because I'm a 110% Cowboys homer, but I thouht Aikman was so much better when he had Moose next to him. I'd rather have Moose over Collingsworth any day. Hell, I'd rather have him over Buck too.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I hope they get rid of "Man Voice" on the sidelines also. I couldn't stand "Man Voice".

k19

Reaction score
Hopefully he doesnt take Al "the hater" Michaels with him

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
Probably the same dufus trio who's been doing the SNF broadcast on ESPN. :banghead:

hang3.gif

No.

Sifillest

Reaction score
hmmmm......ah well who cares long as madden 2006 comes out with good ratings of our team i dont care what madden does....

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
He's better than the 3 Stooges on ESPN.

My theory is that the ESPN show, stooges and all, is a very producer-driven show. I get the distinct impression that these men are not allowed as much free reign to discuss what they want how they want as do other broadcasters. The biggest point to support this is that they seemt to pick one superstar per game and talk incessantly about how great this man is, and all of them agree with each other ad nauseum. I have seen games between mediocre teams where there is one border-line pro bowler who they have selected to rant about, who is having an awful game but all you here is this guy is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Really makes you wonder if they are being guided. Madden on the other hand is just plainly speaking a very ignorant human being. I dont mean that in a name-calling kind of way, I mean he seems to have a seriously low IQ. He does little more than state the obvious - I mean he actually says things like "see the receivers job is to catch the football." And dont get me started with the boom this and boom that.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
fiveandcounting said:
Oh god will I live to see a day when this idiot is retired!?

SAY WHAT??? who you calling an idiot ? this is not the right words my friend if you can do better then him go ask NBC...if u disagree with someone performance or football knolwdege go and make logical criticism not name calling this is way to low
beside why you want him to retire? becouse he is old? I wish we have more of John Madden sure i enjoy his analysis.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I'd rather listen to Madden than the lead guy making every play sound like it just won the sb, or McGuire laughing at everything or Theesman being his usual stupid self.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I heard this in an interview with Troy Aikman about a year ago, and it's something I didn't really think about before, but isn't it odd that John Madden hasn't been inducted into the Hall of Fame yet? His coaching record alone is almost good enough to get him there. Then you have to take into account that maybe the original MNF crew are the only broadcasters with more NFL fame than him. And then, you even have to consider that he slapped his name on a video game that was so successful, it really launched pro sports in that industry.

As far as I'm concerned, Madden can stay there as long as he wants. I think he's still better than 90% of the broadcasters today.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
It's so hard to tell because I'm a 110% Cowboys homer, but I thouht Aikman was so much better when he had Moose next to him. I'd rather have Moose over Collingsworth any day. Hell, I'd rather have him over Buck too.

I think Moose and Troy would be great together but no way would Fox let them both go and no way ESPN puts two former Cowboys together.