Madden to join NBC for Sunday night football

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Wtih all this, I still miss Summerall. He had "that" football voice. Said just enough.

"First and goal at the nine with Aikman out of the shot gun".............I loved the way he said that. He was the best. It's hard to do Thanksgiving without him.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Madden is not about the hardcore fan never has been he gets down to the level of people that do not understand the game the common guys.

That is why he is so popular that and he is fun

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NFL | NBC and ESPN Pursuing Michaels
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:27:02 -0700

Larry Stewart, of the Los Angeles Times, reports NBC is reportedly interested in pursuing broadcaster Al Michaels, currently of ABC's Monday Night Football, to be the play-by-play man for their broadcast of Sunday Night Football that starts in 2006. Monday Night Football moves to ESPN in 2006. ESPN, according to sources, is also seeking Michaels' services.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

dallasblue05

Reaction score
Dangerous Dave said:
2003-12-23-namath-inside.jpg
What about Joe Namath?

What about him? Do you think he would make a good comentator? if so, why? It is pretty hit or miss when you take people from the game and give them a headset for broadcasting. Guys go to school and get a degree and then work for years top try and be a lead on ESPN, and they get replaced by a guy who was on the 1970 all-start team who has never had any formal training.......kind of an injustice dont you think? I'm not saying it shouldnt happen, but I dont want to see football get like the NBA and have players retire and then get a Broadcasting gig for the next season. Some of those guys do really well, ie: Greg Anthony and Tim Legler, but some should stay where they are and let the talkers be talkers.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dallasblue05 said:
What about him? Do you think he would make a good comentator? if so, why? It is pretty hit or miss when you take people from the game and give them a headset for broadcasting. Guys go to school and get a degree and then work for years top try and be a lead on ESPN, and they get replaced by a guy who was on the 1970 all-start team who has never had any formal training.......kind of an injustice dont you think? I'm not saying it shouldnt happen, but I dont want to see football get like the NBA and have players retire and then get a Broadcasting gig for the next season. Some of those guys do really well, ie: Greg Anthony and Tim Legler, but some should stay where they are and let the talkers be talkers.
I do believe it was a joke. You don't remember when he was on TV saying to her repeatedly in a real drunk voice "I want to kiss you."

That was some funny stuff...:D

dallasblue05

Reaction score
Oh, I guess I dont remember that, I wasnt attacking, just asking if he was serious........That would be pretty funny to see. Begs the question in my mind what it would be like for Ricky Williams to call a game............

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
errr and then Roy Williams comes up on Santana Moss and then there is the ol' "BOOM!" yeah but it might be more of a "WHAP!"

I hope there's more talk of Madden saying Larry Allen is back to his old dominating self... You know how Madden loves to talk up linemen.

heh heh... BOOM, WHAP!!

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Great, now I can listen to him beat his tally-whacker to thoughts of Brett Farve a day earlier... :rolleyes:

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
DB.COOPER said:
SAY WHAT??? who you calling an idiot ? this is not the right words my friend if you can do better then him go ask NBC...if u disagree with someone performance or football knolwdege go and make logical criticism not name calling this is way to low
beside why you want him to retire? becouse he is old? I wish we have more of John Madden sure i enjoy his analysis.

Check my other post in this thread where I give a more detailed explanation as to why I think Madden is an idiot. And what is it to you, is he your uncle or something? I mean it, I think the man is an idiot. I want him to retire so I never have to hear his voice again, that's why. Could I do a better job, heck yeah in some ways but I was never a coach so I cant tell coach stories or drop names. Ask NBC you say, very funny, now who is making pointless points? You enjoy his analysis? Are you serious?

AtlCB

Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
I do believe it was a joke. You don't remember when he was on TV saying to her repeatedly in a real drunk voice "I want to kiss you."

That was some funny stuff...:D

Joe also was in the MNF booth at one time and really stunk it up!

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
NFL | NBC and ESPN Pursuing Michaels
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:27:02 -0700

Larry Stewart, of the Los Angeles Times, reports NBC is reportedly interested in pursuing broadcaster Al Michaels, currently of ABC's Monday Night Football, to be the play-by-play man for their broadcast of Sunday Night Football that starts in 2006. Monday Night Football moves to ESPN in 2006. ESPN, according to sources, is also seeking Michaels' services.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl
:banghead: :shootme: :bang2:

Novacek84

Reaction score
thats7 said:
Wtih all this, I still miss Summerall. He had "that" football voice. Said just enough.

"First and goal at the nine with Aikman out of the shot gun".............I loved the way he said that. He was the best. It's hard to do Thanksgiving without him.

Agreed. Pat & John were a Sunday staple and are greatly missed as a team.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SkinsandTerps said:
You and I both.

I really dont want to see Joey T. on Monday night. Former Commander or not he is a terrible commentator.
OK if Commander fans are jeering Joey T. you know he really sucks. :skins:

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Kangaroo said:
Madden is not about the hardcore fan never has been he gets down to the level of people that do not understand the game the common guys.

Huh, those losers who don't want to hear words like 'jammin'.

Let them watch "Survivor".

I want prime time football to do what I read Burger King recently did - thumb its nose at the healthniks and introduce a Triple Whopper. Why did the chain decide to bring back its version of SuperSizing, in the face of so much militant anti-fast food sloganeering from obesity/heart disease chicken littles? Because its market research showed a majority of its revenues coming from future coronaries who eat there five times a week. So screw the salad crowd.

I don't mind Madden in the way Miller and Rush and that sidelines soap opera reject, whatshername, made me cringe. Madden's pure football, if reductionist, and has recently gotten too tired to yell an annoying BOOM! twenty times a game. I like what he has to say about Larry Allen too. :eek::

But I PRAY that NBC doesn't go, in an ultimately fruitless endeavor, the way ABC had. "Drawing in the casual fan" never translated into the ratings numbers projected and it just ticked a lot of us football addicts off.

Please no stupid halftime productions like last year's at ABC...where the players played elaborate but lame jokes on team-mates. Please as little fluff as possible, and no hard news at half time either. CNN runs 24 hrs a day.

NBC, please feed us red meat and cholesterol ridden fries.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
So does Fox news and they are better.
I'm strictly the NPR/PBS type. :)

But it's pretty much NFL network 24/7 here now.

Hopefully, they do the complete live and tape delay preseason schedule again.
That was pure bliss out last summer..four to six games a day, and I saw them ALLLLL.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
NBC, please feed us red meat and cholesterol ridden fries.

Amen sister!! Chock full of hydrogenated oils!!
icon10.gif

jumanji

Reaction score
i like madden alot. he's different and that makes him a lot better than most. He's the closet thing to a real fan. I've heard stories of him tailgating with fans before games and he's just an average joe.

pat and john together was a staple that i was sad to see broken up. it will be interesting to see what al michaels does. he also does basketball for abc and i don't think nbc can match that right now.

as for mnf - it frickin better not be joey t. i bet its stuart scott and that's also horrible, but i bet it is.

CowboysFan07

Reaction score
"You see here Al, what they want to do is score a touchdown on this drive. If they can't score a touchdown they at least want to kick a field goal, you never want to come away empty handed."