Madden Vs ESPN Football

CantonBound08

Reaction score
Just curious. Which one of these games do you all like better? I think the graphics in ESPN Football are superior, as well as the running game, but the plays and passing game are much better in Madden. For now I have to go with Madden, but ESPN Football is gaining ground IMO. I read a thread earlier regarding the graphics and was interested about your opinions.

TheHustler

Reaction score
the gameplay in madden is the best football game bar none. graphics are pretty damn good too.

CantonBound08

Reaction score
TheHustler said:
the gameplay in madden is the best football game bar none. graphics are pretty damn good too.
I completely agree regarding the gameplay. The plays in ESPN Football aren't all that great. Madden definitely has the edge there.

Rude

Reaction score
No way is the play in madden better, the players move sluggishly in Madden, ESPN football is way, way better then Madden. The only reason why madden sells more is becuase of 2 things

Better advertisment (commercials)
Loyal fans

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Rude said:
No way is the play in madden better, the players move sluggishly in Madden, ESPN football is way, way better then Madden. The only reason why madden sells more is becuase of 2 things

Loyal fans
Ditto....But more people are coming around. If you give it a legitimate chance it is clearly better especially on the XBox.

CantonBound08

Reaction score
adbutcher said:
Ditto....But more people are coming around. If you give it a legitimate chance it is clearly better especially on the XBox.
The main thing I don't like about it is the lack of different plays, and the passing game, but it could be that I have not played it enough to get used to it. I know the online experience on PS2 is not as good as Madden either. IMO the graphics are far superior.

Regarding XBOX. Is it that much better than PS2? I have a PS2, but it has been freezing up on me here lately. I have been thinking about investing in a XBOX, but I don't know that much about them. Just from looking at them their controls look a little awkward.

Rude

Reaction score
adbutcher said:
yup over time people will prefer ESPN football....... I need to get me an X-box though :D

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
CantonBound08 said:
The main thing I don't like about it is the lack of different plays, and the passing game, but it could be that I have not played it enough to get used to it. I know the online experience on PS2 is not as good as Madden either. IMO the graphics are far superior.

Regarding XBOX. Is it that much better than PS2? I have a PS2, but it has been freezing up on me here lately. I have been thinking about investing in a XBOX, but I don't know that much about them. Just from looking at them their controls look a little awkward.

Just on sheer power (specs) the Xbox is far superior to the PS2. In the past it was difficult to see because game developers like EA would port a PS2 game to the Xbox, i.e. Madden. Now with the pendulum swinging towards the Xbox more games are being developed for the Xbox first then ported to the other lesser systems. The latest buzz is that more developers understand that games being reproduced on the Xbox will be next to impossible to recreate on the PS2. For example, games like Halo 2, Doom 3, Riddick, Half Life 2, and Far Cry, these games would make the PS2 explode but they are being accurately done on the Xbox.

The final nail is the online experience. I can write a thesis on how much better Xbox Live is over Sony’s offering. The bottom line is this; the Xbox was design with online game play in mind from its conception. On the other hand Sony and Nintendo didn’t think there was a future in online gaming so they had to scramble to get something to the market after M$ early success. Consequently both of their online plans are piece meal at best.

One thing I will give Sony the edge over Microsoft is their ability to sell a lesser product to the masses. They are a master of advertising, however things are changing slowly and the first sign of that is EA fully supporting XBL.

This is a really a good time to be a gamer and you can’t go wrong with selecting the Xbox, I am just glad I was smart enough to do it sooner rather than later. :D

Duane

Reaction score
Rude said:

Loyal fans
I think Madden's offseason is better but that's it. ESPN was much more fun to play and looks 10x better.

CantonBound08

Reaction score
adbutcher said:
Just on sheer power (specs) the Xbox is far superior to the PS2. In the past it was difficult to see because game developers like EA would port a PS2 game to the Xbox, i.e. Madden. Now with the pendulum swinging towards the Xbox more games are being developed for the Xbox first then ported to the other lesser systems. The latest buzz is that more developers understand that games being reproduced on the Xbox will be next to impossible to recreate on the PS2. For example, games like Halo 2, Doom 3, Riddick, Half Life 2, and Far Cry, these games would make the PS2 explode but they are being accurately done on the Xbox.

The final nail is the online experience. I can write a thesis on how much better Xbox Live is over Sony’s offering. The bottom line is this; the Xbox was design with online game play in mind from its conception. On the other hand Sony and Nintendo didn’t think there was a future in online gaming so they had to scramble to get something to the market after M$ early success. Consequently both of their online plans are piece meal at best.

One thing I will give Sony the edge over Microsoft is their ability to sell a lesser product to the masses. They are a master of advertising, however things are changing slowly and the first sign of that is EA fully supporting XBL.

This is a really a good time to be a gamer and you can’t go wrong with selecting the Xbox, I am just glad I was smart enough to do it sooner rather than later. :D
Thanks for the info. I'll have to go spec it out in Wal-Mart or Best Buy, if I can bump the kids off of it anyhow.

Letemburn

Reaction score
Your kidding right? You said ESPN has the best running game? Its like running like a stick in ESPN. There movements suck!! EA SPORTS ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!! Cant wait for 05 NCAA and Madden, i will be haveing some online leagues if you guys would be interested but it will be a whiole before i get them set up

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
Madden since day one. DOn't know if it's better but i will stick with it because i'm more than happy with it. IMO the best football game i've played, but never played ESPN before. :D

CantonBound08

Reaction score
Letemburn said:
Your kidding right? You said ESPN has the best running game? Its like running like a stick in ESPN. There movements suck!! EA SPORTS ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!! Cant wait for 05 NCAA and Madden, i will be haveing some online leagues if you guys would be interested but it will be a whiole before i get them set up
Like a stick? So you think the running game is stiff? I found it to be a lot better. Seems like there is a delay in madden, although slight, enough to screw up my play. For example, when I try to spin it is pointless b/c I have already been tackled.

Don't get me wrong, I play Madden more than ESPN, but I do like the fact that spins work great, you can drop your shoulder and hit someone, and the players are actually more realistic looking.

IMO the passing game and the ability to audible in ESPN is very inferior to Madden.

SteveOS

Dedicated to Sports Gaming
Reaction score
If you're looking for better gameplay, I'd say ESPN NFL. If you're looking for a kick *** franchise mode, stick w/ Madden. Madden will always sell more because their marketing is so much better than the competition.

We have some screenshots of the games if you want to see them. We usually get Final build Beta a few weeks before release as well, so you might want to check out our Forums at that time, as we answer a lot of questions about the game, etc.

Here are some shots.

(Madden 2005)
http://www.operationsports.com/Reviews.asp?game=madden2005xbox

(ESPN NFL 2005)
http://www.operationsports.com/Reviews.asp?game=espnnfl2005xbox

If this is considered spam, sorry in advance. I'm just trying to help.

Take care.

CantonBound08

Reaction score
SteveOS said:
If you're looking for better gameplay, I'd say ESPN NFL. If you're looking for a kick *** franchise mode, stick w/ Madden. Madden will always sell more because their marketing is so much better than the competition.

We have some screenshots of the games if you want to see them. We usually get Final build Beta a few weeks before release as well, so you might want to check out our Forums at that time, as we answer a lot of questions about the game, etc.

Here are some shots.

(Madden 2005)

(ESPN NFL 2005)

Take care.
Thanks for the info Steve. The Franchise mode sounds pretty cool, but again, the graphics for Madden seem to be inferior to those in the ESPN game. Does anybody else notice this?

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Great and very accurate post! The bottom line is that Madden fans are notoriously loyal to EA. EA is a very good product but IMO ESPN has surpassed it game play wise but many of the diehard still won't give it the time of day. I use to be one of you but I guarantee that if you give ESPN Football at least a week you will include it in your football rotation at least and at most make it the only football title that you play.
SteveOS said:

Here are some shots.

(Madden 2005)

(ESPN NFL 2005)

Take care.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
For the last two iterations of both titles ESPN Football has surpassed Madden graphically. Most would notice if they pull their heads out of EA's arse, lol.

CantonBound08 said:
Thanks for the info Steve. The Franchise mode sounds pretty cool, but again, the graphics for Madden seem to be inferior to those in the ESPN game. Does anybody else notice this?

AceofSpades

Reaction score
Just got by BB hooked up so if anyone wants to play some ESPN let me know.
XBL GT - Ace of Spades.