Maher needs to go Thread *merged*

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You could see the fear in his eyes as he lines up to kick, you have tom cut him for his own sake as well as the team's

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
After his inconsistency last year, it was criminal of the Front Office to not bring in legitimate competition for him in the off-season.

It's costs us multiple times this year.

This is the Dallas Cowboys in a nutshell. No competition, no accountability. How was he not challenged in camp?

It's coaching by a committee and the head of the committee just wants to be buddies with all of the players.

Garrett's time is definitely up, but if recreate the same sort of system, with just a new HC, things won't change.

ksadler1

Reaction score
I say we just quit kicking FGs all together and go for it on 4th down

JPM

Reaction score
No way keep him around until the end of the season. I love watching him miss 29 yard field goals.

Creeper

Reaction score
We have a lot of offseason needs. Kicker, Punter, HC, DC, ST coordinator, RB coach, Safety, CB/DB, 1T/DT, O-linemen. Jesus. This team needs to rebuild.

A lot of people are going to disagree with this post and blame the whole thing on Garrett but I think you are right. I don't think a total rebuild is necessary but something about this mix of players just is not working.

First, they are overrated all over this roster. No one on this team is as good as the hype that surrounds him. If these players were as good that their press, they wouldn't lose a game. I am most down on the defense, even though the offense was pretty bad today too. Sure the offense had 426 yards, but this offense is failing too many times in the red zone. Its like they have no plays set aside for 1st and goal situations.

But the defense is really the problem. There is no killer instinct in this bunch. A perfect example is the 3rd down play the Bills ran from their own 2 yard line. To let the QB have the time to throw a 30 yard pass for a 1st down was inexcusable. They should have run some kind of all out blitz and force him to make a quick decision and a short pass. Maybe even force a holding call in the end zone. But of course Allen had a pocket and time to throw that deep route to Beasley. No paymakers on this defense. I think its time to start trading players and drafting new ones.

Gaede

Reaction score
Doesn't matter.

I'd rather see Heath than to see them trot this bum out on the field again.

We all knew in the offseason that not signing a real kicker was a mistake. And now this tool has cost us how many points in how many close games?

A lot like when we went into the season with Hurd and Beasely as our starting receivers. Overconfidence in the team and coaches leads to disaster

Batman1980

Reaction score
Maher 24th in the NFL as a 73% kicker and I think that was before today. Knew signing a 77% CFL kicker was a mistake.

Carson

Reaction score
I’d rather go for it on every fourth down this season than to see Maher kickoff or kick a field goal ever again

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Here's some perspective. The game hinges on field position. Instead of punting, you chance missing a FG and giving the opposing team great field position.

Maher missed two makeable FGs. That's 6 point that puts us within a score. More importantly we're not placing the opposing team at the 40 or better.
Not to mention that maybe Buffalo doesn't score as easy with a longer field.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Who's out there though?

You answered your own question. Maher isn't even the worst kicker in the league, so who are these unemployed great kickers?

The problem was not having a real competition in camp. Just another example of poor management by the Cowboys.

Carson

Reaction score
You answered your own question. Maher isn't even the worst kicker in the league, so who are these unemployed great kickers?

The problem was not having a real competition in camp. Just another example of poor management by the Cowboys.

I believe somebody on twitter posted his 3rd worst. Bears kicker is in last

Kumala808

Reaction score
A lot of people are going to disagree with this post and blame the whole thing on Garrett but I think you are right. I don't think a total rebuild is necessary but something about this mix of players just is not working.

First, they are overrated all over this roster. No one on this team is as good as the hype that surrounds him. If these players were as good that their press, they wouldn't lose a game. I am most down on the defense, even though the offense was pretty bad today too. Sure the offense had 426 yards, but this offense is failing too many times in the red zone. Its like they have no plays set aside for 1st and goal situations.

But the defense is really the problem. There is no killer instinct in this bunch. A perfect example is the 3rd down play the Bills ran from their own 2 yard line. To let the QB have the time to throw a 30 yard pass for a 1st down was inexcusable. They should have run some kind of all out blitz and force him to make a quick decision and a short pass. Maybe even force a holding call in the end zone. But of course Allen had a pocket and time to throw that deep route to Beasley. No paymakers on this defense. I think its time to start trading players and drafting new ones.
Yup we dont blitz and give QBs all day

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
He missed two FG's which in turn persuaded the staff to go for it on 4th instead of kicking it. If he makes those 3 kicks, we're 1 point behind Buffalo.

They need to fix this NOW!

KB1122

Reaction score
See, if I were coach, Maher would be my type of kicker. But I would be going for it on 4th down all the time inside the other team's 40. So extending the scoring range would be more important than close in accuracy. But that's not Garrett's team.