Mahomes and his coaches

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I believe it was in the 3rd quarter when Denver started to strap down on Mahomes and Co. All of a sudden adjustments were made during the fourth when things began to work in their favor.

While doing my daily research for fantasy football purposes on players for the up coming Sunday, I read somewhere where the coaches or I think maybe Reid went to Mahomes and asked him "what do you want to do, what do you want to run to get going and feel comfortable"

This right here is what I call creating to your QB strengths and having a "Plan B" in case you as a coach all of a sudden have a brain freeze during game.

I know most here will tell me Mahomes is better than dak but he himself also showed signs of no pocket awareness, panics, and over throwing and sailing passes.

When the chiefs oline started failing and mahomes got out of whack, it was Reid and Co that pulled the young lad to the side to comfort him, give him options and adjust.

All of that creativity you guys seen in the 4th is what Reid and Co stash in the play for mahomes "just in case".

I know some are not sold on dak but I believe most of daks problem come from years of bad coaching, and it being left as it is. No QB we bring in will benefit from that.

In the Atlanta game dak needed someone to come to his rescue and they let him get clobbered all game instead of having something creative to have him succeed despite the oline problem.

I know it's more coaching than just dak himself because I seen Mahomes start developing the same tendencies dak usually has in breakdown situations until the coaches stopped the problem right in its tracks.

We need new coaching and we need it in the baddest way possible. There has to be someone out there that can get the best out of our offense, and I don't mean just running to damn ball a billion times.

I hate that we are only known to be running team in a freakin pass happy league. People gloat about it like it the best **** on campus. The lions game will not freakin happen every single sunday.

Just my rant after reading that article during my fantasy homework!

Last edited:

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Totally agree . :hammer:

Coaching is what matters, on QB and every other position .

Sadly, some posters feel that coaching doesn't matter and is all about the talent of the players .

dfense

Reaction score
Yeah, Denver stopped running and put the game in the hands of a totally overpaid backup QB in Keenum. He lucked out on a 4th and 10 down the seem to the TE. Other than that he was awful in the last 2 drives. Their defense had KC in a 2nd and 30 and gave up 26 and then 35 yard passes. Lotta coaching there. Denver couldn't get near Mahomes in the last 5 minutes. More fatigue than coaching.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I agree that the KC staff is far more adept at building an offense that puts a QB in position to succeed...

but Mahomes' physical traits would make him successful in pretty much any offense he has weapons around him.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Coaches suddenly get better when they get good players.

Yep it's a crutch and Romo, Murray, dak, and Zeke has paid Garretts light bill the last 10 or whatever years.

We are going down if Zeke gets injured. Plain and simple.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Just another perfect example. If you have a left tackle that can’t block the DE on that side, wouldn’t it make sense to give him help with a TE, call more rollouts to the other side, and call more quick passes especially screens right over that aggressive DE? But no, Garrett and Linehan stubbornly stuck to a gameplan that obviously wouldn’t work. I wanted Garrett to be the next Landry but he just isn’t and obviously never will be. The time has come for Jerry to kick Garrett upstairs to a lifetime front office job and then let him gracefully leave if he wants to continue coaching somewhere else.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe it was in the 3rd quarter when Denver started to strap down on Mahomes and Co. All of a sudden adjustments were made during the fourth when things began to work in their favor.

While doing my daily research for fantasy football purposes on players for the up coming Sunday, I read somewhere where the coaches or I think maybe Reid went to Mahomes and asked him "what do you want to do, what do you want to run to get going and feel comfortable"

This right here is what I call creating to your QB strengths and having a "Plan B" in case you as a coach all of a sudden have a brain freeze during game.

I know most here will tell me Mahomes is better than dak but he himself also showed signs of no pocket awareness, panics, and over throwing and sailing passes.

When the chiefs oline started failing and mahomes got out of whack, it was Reid and Co that pulled the young lad to the side to comfort him, give him options and adjust.

All of that creativity you guys seen in the 4th is what Reid and Co stash in the play for mahomes "just in case".

I know some are not sold on dak but I believe most of daks problem come from years of bad coaching, and it being left as it is. No QB we bring in will benefit from that.

In the Atlanta game dak needed someone to come to his rescue and they let him get clobbered all game instead of having something creative to have him succeed despite the oline problem.

I know it's more coaching than just dak himself because I seen Mahomes start developing the same tendencies dak usually has in breakdown situations until the coaches stopped the problem right in its tracks.

We need new coaching and we need it in the baddest way possible. There has to be someone out there that can get the best out of our offense, and I don't mean just running to damn ball a billion times.

I hate that we are only known to be running team in a freakin pass happy league. People gloat about it like it the best **** on campus. The lions game will not freakin happen every single sunday.

The fact that Reid had to ask him says a lot about Reid. A coach needs to know his players strengths and call the offense accordingly. Dak is no Mahomes, but he had just as productive as first year as Mahomes is having...in terms of team success.

Carson

Reaction score
He’s allowed a bit more freedom due to the plethora of talent they have.

Hill is the fastest dude in the league, Kelce, Hunt, Watkins, Robinson etc

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

I've seen enough of Andy Reid coached teams to know that they choke in the crunch. Could this be Andy's year? Possibly but there is that history thing. As far as needing new coaches for us, sure worth a try because JG coached teams choke in the crunch too. I've been on Linnehan's case for 2 years now. 8-8 or less and kick them both to the curb.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Yeah, Denver stopped running and put the game in the hands of a totally overpaid backup QB in Keenum. He lucked out on a 4th and 10 down the seem to the TE. Other than that he was awful in the last 2 drives. Their defense had KC in a 2nd and 30 and gave up 26 and then 35 yard passes. Lotta coaching there. Denver couldn't get near Mahomes in the last 5 minutes. More fatigue than coaching.

Yeah but a lot of quick passes and creativity to avoid the rush is what created that fatigue. The defense more than likely keep its head above water and Tee off if the chiefs don't adjust from the 3rd QTR.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
He’s allowed a bit more freedom due to the plethora of talent they have.

Hill is the fastest dude in the league, Kelce, Hunt, Watkins, Robinson etc

Yeah and we have Austin, Zeke, possession guy in hurns and jump ball guys in Gallup and gathers who we never put out there but would rather put swaim out there 90% of the time.

That's what I am talking about. The coaches aren't keeping talent out for dak nor are they creative.

The chiefs use their guys, we dont.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I've seen enough of Andy Reid coached teams to know that they choke in the crunch. Could this be Andy's year? Possibly but there is that history thing. As far as needing new coaches for us, sure worth a try because JG coached teams choke in the crunch too. I've been on Linnehan's case for 2 years now. 8-8 or less and kick them both to the curb.

Bro as a cowboys fan I'm desperate. At least Reid chokes somewhere deep into the playoffs. We dont even make it that far.

I'd rather see us choke in the NFC championship game than to intake bad football for a season or missing the playoffs.

Reid can choke all he wants but they at least give it their all.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Bro as a cowboys fan I'm desperate. At least Reid chokes somewhere deep into the playoffs. We dont even make it that far.

I'd rather see us choke in the NFC championship game than to intake bad football for a season or missing the playoffs.

Reid can choke all he wants but they at least give it their all.

It's not Reid that chokes, it's his teams. This could be the one tho. Hey some of my biggest disappointments with the Cowboys have been playoff losses, in fact I'm more disappointed by a play off loss than a regular season loss. That means I won't be happy with anything less than a SB. I've seen 5 SB's. I know that deep playoff runs and losing, at least for me, are more disappointing than not making the playoffs at all but that's just me. Ask a Packer fan IDK. They won 1 under Rogers. Wonder how happy they are just going to the playoffs.

What I'm saying is, Cowboy fans will settle for nothing less than a SB. I don't believe that making it to the playoffs five years in a row would be enough. we'll have to do it and find. I'd probably still say fire the HC and bring someone in who can get us a SB

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where were these posts in 2016, when the coaches could do no wrong but it was still somehow Dak having a good rookie year in spite of them? I can't remember.

And where will these posts be in 2019, if Mahomes goes the way to Deshaun Watson and comes back to earth? Will the coaching have changed for the worse, then?

foofighters

Reaction score

So Doug Pederson is no longer the greatest coach ever and now it's Reid again?

jrumann59

Reaction score

Most of it is spot on but comparing a QB that is in his 1st year starting to a guy that is in his 3rd as undisputed starter. All young QBs you look for progress whether its better mechanics, reading defenses, decision making. The coaches should be telling him at the end of the season what they feel he needs to work on and he needs to reconcile it from the list of things he thinks he needs to work on

jsb357

Reaction score
The only way for the "genius process" to fail to deliver the desired
results is the players' inability to execute the plays as designed.

did you not get the memo?

visionary

Reaction score

If Reid were coaching Dak he would be A LOT better

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since the implementation of the salary cap, the biggest advantage a team could address was coaching. No salary cap on coaching. So what do we do, hire a head coach to learn on the job. You can’t make this stuff up.