Mahomes Yearly Cap Hit - Breakdown

blueblood70

Reaction score
Look above at the dumb reasoning by @blueblood70

But in the real World.....

The Chiefs are the smart organization that extended Patrick Mahomes contract with 2 years left on the deal.....giving themselves a team friendly deal....

Imagine if Jerry had given Dak $28M per year in 2018 Off-season....

Idiotic thinking by blaming Dak for future or present CAP is a Dak Hater trademark @blueblood70
Hate Bro, no one truly hates Dak,

we are realist, we want dak here but not for what he demands ...

TROLL DROOLER Dak APOLOGIST..remove the koolaid goggles

DFWJC

Reaction score
This is what I've been saying.
It tells us that the offer to Dak (IF it is the 5 year 175 mil w/ 110+ guaranteed) is solid.
I guess the hold up is 4 years vs 5 years, but the 34-35mil per year (or Russ Wilson money) seems ok

Doubt this deal changes things either way

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It's Brady-like....to some degree

He wants to always have a good roster around him but still be an amazingly rich man.
The Pats used the money for oline and defesne

I do agree that's it's a different approach. But he is getting very long term stability and won't be worrying or hassled with contract stuff for long time.
Cemented himself into the hearts of all Chiefs fans
But it's not some massive

Dak will still get his...if it's in the 34-35/year range.
You think Dak gets 35 a year?

DFWJC

Reaction score
You think Dak gets 35 a year?
Yes.

175 for 5...maybe 113 guaranteed ( a guess)
This is offer I think he is currently turning down, btw.
I think he want's 4 years only.
I wish he'd take the current offer and get it behind him, but its his life and his money,

If it's for 4, it might be slightly less than 35/yr...say 34.25 with less guaranteed.

Last edited:

Qcard

Reaction score

You are not a realist @blueblood70 ...Realist deal in reality and facts.

Fans never determine NFL QB market Value. That is fantasy....far from realist thinking.

Anyway back to business @jterrell just destroyed your fantastical post.. please I await your reply

so he be making less then Dak if dak gets what the DC offered him and on a 4/5 year deal given PMs AAV the first 5 years.. So technically Mahomes gave the chiefs a team friendly deal that after 5 years before 38/49mil bonus' is due he could be cut so its structured very well for the chiefs..

Hey dak wake up see what a superstar elite athlete has done on and off the field for his team..yet you hold pout for a Dak deal..
Here comes the Facts.....

jterrell said:
No, that money becomes FULLY GTD TWO years earlier.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't know, most QB's see the bulk if not more than the original amount of money. Think about it, the cap has gone up every years since 2010, just go look it up. It's as obvious as the nose on your face. This year because of Covid is why there is even any concern of the cap doing down next year as the team revenues could be impacted as games could be cancelled and the gate at the stadium will be zero. At the end of the day, no team will lose any money, no team will lose any money! NFL owners never lose money. Take a piece of masking tape and put in our mirror.
They would not get into this business and become legacy owners if it wasn't a lucrative business. The owners in the NFL have a 52/48 revenue split advantage, no matter what the owners get more.
Having said all that, i don't think we should pay Dak what he is asking for.. I am not some illogical owner hater... :)
There is only one Mahomes in the league and he is the clear tier 1 guy. There are two outcomes of this deal.
The overall QB contract for Dak, Lamar, Watson, eventually Darnold, Tua, Mayfield, etc, etc have gone up, but the one great part is the next contract wont be higher than Mahomes deal as those guys cannot ask for 50 million because they are not Mahomes. A new high bar has been set and these other guys dont qualify.
I didn't ask about what Dak should be paid. I surely don't care about your opinion on the subject. If you want to share that information, do so when you're not replying to me. My comments were only about Pat Mahomes, he's a delicate flower. :p

Proof

Reaction score
Yes I agree this deal is definitely very team friendly as there is not an outrageous signing bonus, its only 10 million. The thing is the deal is also good for Mahomes. Go read the spottrac fine print. The deal is guaranteed, 63 million at signing, which is yesterday. ( all the money for 20, 21 & 22). But then the 2023 salary of 40 million gets guaranteed on the third league day of 2021 (next March)... interesting, then the 2024 salary of another 40 million gets guaranteed on the third league day of 2022, same with 2025 and the years going forward.
Lee Steinberg is not stupid, neither is Mahomes or the Chiefs. I fully expect a renegotiation starting 2023 so the cap figures keep going down. They will pay him a ridiculous bonus and spread his cap number over the next 7/8 years. Probably 125 million bonus spread over 8 years and a lower salary.
Basically if he is on the roster the next two years, 80 million more guaranteed.
If Mahomes is healthy he will see all that money.

Oh I agree. It’s great for both sides in general. Just I. 2027 is where it begins to get dicey

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Why won’t he? He doesn’t have a ton of incentives in his deal like most.
Basically if he’s on the roster each year he gets paid. So unless he gets hurt he’s seeing most of that money.
He's a delicate flower. :p

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Why wouldn't he? The roster bonuses are paid on the first day of the new league year. Are you suggesting they would cut him instead of pay it? He also has 140 mil guaranteed for injury.
He's a delicate flower. :p

dckid

Reaction score
Oh I agree. It’s great for both sides in general. Just I. 2027 is where it begins to get dicey
2027 is a long way away. Even if the cap goes up 5-8% a year over year Mahomes deal will be renegotiated ~ 2023, 2024.
The Chiefs have Mahomes at a reasonable cost the next three years.

Proof

Reaction score
2027 is a long way away. Even if the cap goes up 5-8% a year over year Mahomes deal will be renegotiated ~ 2023, 2024.
The Chiefs have Mahomes at a reasonable cost the next three years.

Yes. Not my point though. Just that as presented it’s fairly unlikely he sees the money as is on the back end of the contract. He may very well exceed it via restructure / extension.

dckid

Reaction score
Yes. Not my point though. Just that as presented it’s fairly unlikely he sees the money as is on the back end of the contract. He may very well exceed it via restructure / extension.
I really think we are stuck in semantics instead of the big picture discussion here. I am on the side that he will see all of this money and more.

dckid

Reaction score
I didn't ask about what Dak should be paid. I surely don't care about your opinion on the subject. If you want to share that information, do so when you're not replying to me. My comments were only about Pat Mahomes, he's a delicate flower. :p
JoeKing, you and I have had a lot back and forth discussions and i see that nothing has changed.
I again disagree with you, Mahomes will see all his money

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
JoeKing, you and I have had a lot back and forth discussions and i see that nothing has changed.
I again disagree with you, Mahomes will see all his money
Thank you for sticking to the topic at hand... Pat Mahomes. I respect your opinion on the man, I still reserve the right to emphatically disagree.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

ROFL. The droolers are the goofballs who wanted "Dak to prove it"... and are staring at a premium to sign a guy who makes 31.4M this year regardless of any longer term control.

Dak would make about 117M over 3 years going year to year to year on tags.
That's more cash than Pat will make in 3 years.
That's why this has always been stupid on Stephen's part.
12 year old kids knew Pat would reset market and they also know Watson and Lamar are coming with big money deals before too long.
The best time to sign Dak was 2 years ago, each day since has gotten a little less ideal. And each day after July 15th will be far worse.

I rather expect Dallas to choose the deal they prefer out of
4 years at 35M (140M)
5 years at 37M (185M)
and do the deal before the deadline.

And that deal is much more pricey than it would have cost last year this time and they lose the extra year to help assuage cap costs.
BUT make no mistake this Pat deal makes that uncertain as now Dak's agent could be asking for even more money given Pat making 45m AAV.