Mail theft (felony) by Postal employees

catiii

Reaction score
I mailed 3 Canadian Silver Maples to different family members inside Christmas cards to 3 different locations -Rhome, Plano, and Arlington. Only the Rhome letter made it without being pilfered.
Plano was steamed open and the coin removed before delivery, the 2nd in Arlington was torn open and the coin removed before delivery. Only 1 of the 3 made it. Mailbox thieves would've stolen the entire envelope. These were postal employees. I am so angry.

Anyone else - be warned, do NOT send anything valuable in mail. In fact, don't use the USPS at all - use Fedex or UPS. :mad:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have no idea what those are worth. But I would at least have enough insurance to cover their value. Perhaps even send them in bubble envelopes. That's what I do and put shipping tape around the edges. If it's much of a valuable I prefer to send in a box via UPS.

kskboys

Reaction score
That's because they stopped punishing them harshly. This is the results of the feel good everyone can be saved if you just love them criminal justice system.

kskboys

Reaction score
What the.....
Isn't that a federal offense?
Nothing worse that i hate more than a thief.
Guy I know got busted for stealing mail. He was the delivery guy. They just fired him, and that's the problem. Used to, everyone knew that the feds didn't mess around, and that you were looking at jail time for messing w/ the mail. Now, they let people off, so it's well known that nothing will happen.

catiii

Reaction score
Guy I know got busted for stealing mail. He was the delivery guy. They just fired him, and that's the problem. Used to, everyone knew that the feds didn't mess around, and that you were looking at jail time for messing w/ the mail. Now, they let people off, so it's well known that nothing will happen.
What the h e double hockey sticks has become of this country. It's not the one I grew up in. If I wasn't a pauper I swear I'd emigrate to New Zealand or Australia.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score

That's insane, figured he would get jail time and a considerable fine.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I mailed 3 Canadian Silver Maples to different family members inside Christmas cards to 3 different locations -Rhome, Plano, and Arlington. Only the Rhome letter made it without being pilfered.
Plano was steamed open and the coin removed before delivery, the 2nd in Arlington was torn open and the coin removed before delivery. Only 1 of the 3 made it. Mailbox thieves would've stolen the entire envelope. These were postal employees. I am so angry.

Anyone else - be warned, do NOT send anything valuable in mail. In fact, don't use the USPS at all - use Fedex or UPS. :mad:
Never ever send money through the mail. You’re just asking for trouble and you got it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thievery keeps them from becoming disgruntled.

"OK, boss, I can either shoot up the place or you can let me pilfer a few envelopes as a Christmas bonus and you need to schedule your vacation around when those March of Dimes envelopes get mailed".

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Sounds extremely unlikely that they would go through the effort of using steam to take the coin out and re-seal it, or rip the envelope open and send it out torn open. Why wouldn't they just pocket the envelopes and make them disappear?

Sammy

Reaction score
Sounds extremely unlikely that they would go through the effort of using steam to take the coin out and re-seal it, or rip the envelope open and send it out torn open. Why wouldn't they just pocket the envelopes and make them disappear?

They scan everything now. They know where each item disappears. So it would look really odd if one carrier or one sorter had multiple mail pieces start missing, so I assume that's why they'd steam and re-seal. It looks the same on the next scan as it did on the last, so they can't pinpoint one person as the last one to touch it.

Envelopes get torn open occasionally, so that's a good cover too. It got torn open and the contents spilled out.

If you haven't signed up for USPS Informed Delivery, you should. They show you scans of what mail should be delivered each day. I've caught several missing items including a financial statement. I waited two days and reported it wasn't delivered, and the next day it came.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I just don't see a postal carrier risking his or her job, on the off chance that he or she might find a coin or something worth being fired and prosecuted over. Then again, people are stupid, rude, greedy, weak, thoughtless, and self centered.

kskboys

Reaction score
I just don't see a postal carrier risking his or her job, on the off chance that he or she might find a coin or something worth being fired and prosecuted over. Then again, people are stupid, rude, greedy, weak, thoughtless, and self centered.
The guy I knew was stealing blockbuster coupons.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
They scan everything now. They know where each item disappears. So it would look really odd if one carrier or one sorter had multiple mail pieces start missing, so I assume that's why they'd steam and re-seal. It looks the same on the next scan as it did on the last, so they can't pinpoint one person as the last one to touch it.

Envelopes get torn open occasionally, so that's a good cover too. It got torn open and the contents spilled out.

If you haven't signed up for USPS Informed Delivery, you should. They show you scans of what mail should be delivered each day. I've caught several missing items including a financial statement. I waited two days and reported it wasn't delivered, and the next day it came.

I have informed delivery. Not everything I receive is scanned, by a large margin. Things get lost in the mail all the time. With no verifiable means of tracking, it is pretty easy for a random letter to get lost.