News: Mailbag: Are Cowboys Still Run-First Team?

garyv

Reaction score
Mailbag: Are Cowboys Still Run-First Team?

gbhkflfq9hhakmgtsezp

Are the Cowboys still a run-first offense and team going into 2020?

David: With the money they've invested in their running back, the Cowboys would be wise to make sure they're always trying to maintain a healthy rushing attack. But it's hard to ignore the statistics about how much more important the passing game is, and how much more often NFL teams throw than run. If they're going to pay Dak Prescott, I'd argue they need to be pass-first, though they need to be efficient and effective when they do run.

Rob: As much as Dak Prescott threw the ball last year, I wouldn't say the Cowboys were an undisputed "run first" offense last season. Kellen Moore wants to attack defenses different ways. I do think as long as they have Zeke Elliott and a capable offensive line, the run game will be a large factor in what they do. The offense has been at its best when Prescott isn't having to throw 40-45 times. The 49ers were a good example last season of what playaction off the run game can do (with a great defense, too.)

Read Full Story

I agree with Rob..

Yes and Zeke just confirmed that...……………..

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We won't know the answer to that until the season starts but IMO, the Cowboys should be a run-first team.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I would argue that maintaining a running game takes more excellence on the OL, RB, coach, and QB online reads than the passing game. If you have a decent QB who takes care of the ball and decent receivers, you can be successful passing the ball. The passing game only has to be right on 1 of 3 plays in order to move the chains. The run game requires more consistency.

if you had 3 downs to score or get a first down and had to choose one route, who would choose 3 running plays? Not me. When you pass, you can get it done with one successful play or a defensive penalty. I’m as old school as they come, and I remember the old days of 3 runs and a cloud of dust, but you win by passing the football.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Big Mc's bread butter was slants, curls and outs with Green Bay. He was pass first. Pass to set up the run. Or pass until they stop us. So there's the unknown.

Dak threw 596, Goff and Winston threw the most 626, Wentz, Brady and Ryan also threw more than 600 passes. But we don't know how many of those passes resulted from the game situation at the time they were thrown. Another unknown.

Given those two unknowns I'll take Rob's view.

I do hope McCarthy is able to work in more of a screen game for the cowboys too.

The screen passing game was mostly non existent under Garrett. Except for a couple big plays from zeke.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys are a offense first team over fielding a good defense. Offensively, they have to have balance cause I don't think Dak is in a place where he's gonna throw your team into the playoffs by himself.

With MM coming in here the offense should average 30 or a little more. Hopefully, that overrides a patchwork defense.

Reaction score
They - or any team in the NFL - shouldn't be run/pass-first.

It is a league where you need to exploit numbers and matchups. Could mean 60 runs, could mean 60 passes. Either way, there should be a different approach for each opponent.
I have been advocating for this approach for years.......

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Big Mc's bread butter was slants, curls and outs with Green Bay. He was pass first. Pass to set up the run. Or pass until they stop us. So there's the unknown.

Dak threw 596, Goff and Winston threw the most 626, Wentz, Brady and Ryan also threw more than 600 passes. But we don't know how many of those passes resulted from the game situation at the time they were thrown. Another unknown.

Given those two unknowns I'll take Rob's view.

Would love to see screens. There was one game last season they actually tried to throw a screen to Pollard and it worked well, like a shocking discovery if a very fast WR type RB can actually get good yards in that role.