Mailbag: Are Terence Steele's struggles due to ACL?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Is Terence Steele perhaps still hampered by his ACL injury from last December? Much of Michael Gallup's struggles in 2022 were attributed to him being less than a year removed from his own ACL injury. Does the same apply to offensive linemen? How do the Cowboys fix their problems at right tackle? – Garrett Porter/Atlanta, GA

Nick Eatman: I'm never one to say there's only two types of scenarios – in this case, it's more than just being healthy and injured. There is an in-between especially when you're dealing with ACL injuries or any surgeries for that matter. Yes, they're healthy enough to play, cleared by the medical team to perform without any restrictions. But that doesn't mean there aren't some limitations involved with these players as they come back – some of it can be mental. I'm not saying any of these are the case with Steele, who is the type of person who won't give a single excuse. But we've seen it with players before – the first year back from the injury is OK. They show some glimpses of their pre-injury self but not on a consistent basis. But it's the next year when they start to fully recover. And I think some of that could be happening with Steele. But I will say, he had a rough game against the Eagles' pass-rush. There have been some other moments this year in which Steele didn't have his best stuff, but he's been pretty good for the most part. And then there's that other thing … every player that gets a new contract is always viewed in a different light. Now, the expectations are much higher so we seem to focus on the negative plays a little more. Add it all up and Steele hasn't been what we've seen in the past but I think he'll be just fine moving forward.

Patrik: I understand why some would point to that being a potential cause, and I'm not saying it isn't, but I'm hard-pressed to view it that way when this is the same player we were rightfully praising in training camp and over the first several games of the season for being back in prime form, and so quickly, with little to no ramp-up period. He was the glaring bright spot on the offensive line early on, in his return from injury, so I'm more inclined to believe it's just been a couple of bad days at the office. Everybody has them, as you well know from the offensive struggles on the whole for the first part of the season, and I believe that's what I'm seeing from Steele. Count me out on any talks of benching him because that will be counterproductive. He needs to work through his recent struggles with game reps, and there's no reason to siphon his confidence (which only makes things worse) by giving him the hook, nor are the Cowboys interested in doing that anyway (in my opinion). I think he's earned some grace here.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-are-terence-steele-s-struggles-due-to-acl

Creeper

Reaction score
So two Cowboys writers say, "I am not saying it is and I am not saying it isn't, blah, blah, blah."

I just think it is impossible to overlook the fact he was injuured last year and had surgery in the offseason. He was never the best pass protector, but he was an awesome run blocker. He is worse in both categories this year. I have to believe the injury is part of it. We have seen so many other players struggle their first year back from surgery, why should Steele be any different. I think they have to stick with him and work with him to make sure his technique ot correct, but at the same time denying there is a problem seems like the wrong move.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
we better hope so. I always thought he was a JAG, but he had a really run run last year which had me thinking I was wrong.

Now I'm not sure. What I am sure of is that we have to stop giving contract s to guys coming off serious injuries

CCBoy

Reaction score
So two Cowboys writers say, "I am not saying it is and I am not saying it isn't, blah, blah, blah."

I just think it is impossible to overlook the fact he was injuured last year and had surgery in the offseason. He was never the best pass protector, but he was an awesome run blocker. He is worse in both categories this year. I have to believe the injury is part of it. We have seen so many other players struggle their first year back from surgery, why should Steele be any different. I think they have to stick with him and work with him to make sure his technique ot correct, but at the same time denying there is a problem seems like the wrong move.
I disagree with the reason for your premise. In a sport where momentums change all...one has to both be good and lucky.

What I disagree with is the principal of leadership and team cohesion. If one ups and abandons a player who has worked his butt off to become a very good lineman, one in charge sends the complete wrong message to the team when he doesn't ride out deserved return to full form. I'd give up on that poor of a show from my Coaches.

The comments were not poor imitations of the truth just because it came from the Dallas Cowboys home site!

CCBoy

Reaction score
It has to be related whether physical or mental he's not the same guy he was
Oh yea, men - change a lot when fans doubt them....oh, that's all you guys do. Ask for more and insult the players. Blow off the head of one's beer before crying in it.

:popcorn:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Is Terence Steele perhaps still hampered by his ACL injury from last December? Much of Michael Gallup's struggles in 2022 were attributed to him being less than a year removed from his own ACL injury. Does the same apply to offensive linemen? How do the Cowboys fix their problems at right tackle? – Garrett Porter/Atlanta, GA

Nick Eatman: I'm never one to say there's only two types of scenarios – in this case, it's more than just being healthy and injured. There is an in-between especially when you're dealing with ACL injuries or any surgeries for that matter. Yes, they're healthy enough to play, cleared by the medical team to perform without any restrictions. But that doesn't mean there aren't some limitations involved with these players as they come back – some of it can be mental. I'm not saying any of these are the case with Steele, who is the type of person who won't give a single excuse. But we've seen it with players before – the first year back from the injury is OK. They show some glimpses of their pre-injury self but not on a consistent basis. But it's the next year when they start to fully recover. And I think some of that could be happening with Steele. But I will say, he had a rough game against the Eagles' pass-rush. There have been some other moments this year in which Steele didn't have his best stuff, but he's been pretty good for the most part. And then there's that other thing … every player that gets a new contract is always viewed in a different light. Now, the expectations are much higher so we seem to focus on the negative plays a little more. Add it all up and Steele hasn't been what we've seen in the past but I think he'll be just fine moving forward.

Patrik: I understand why some would point to that being a potential cause, and I'm not saying it isn't, but I'm hard-pressed to view it that way when this is the same player we were rightfully praising in training camp and over the first several games of the season for being back in prime form, and so quickly, with little to no ramp-up period. He was the glaring bright spot on the offensive line early on, in his return from injury, so I'm more inclined to believe it's just been a couple of bad days at the office. Everybody has them, as you well know from the offensive struggles on the whole for the first part of the season, and I believe that's what I'm seeing from Steele. Count me out on any talks of benching him because that will be counterproductive. He needs to work through his recent struggles with game reps, and there's no reason to siphon his confidence (which only makes things worse) by giving him the hook, nor are the Cowboys interested in doing that anyway (in my opinion). I think he's earned some grace here.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-are-terence-steele-s-struggles-due-to-acl
its 50mental -exec/50 acl, mines shorter you are welcome..

ohh and to add to it terrence was never a great pass blocker, wouldnt take much to get off his game. he was a far more physical and beast in the run game.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It has to be related whether physical or mental he's not the same guy he was
at this point needs to start your sentence.... to say he can't regain form is nonsense!

just like a lot of people on here think its crazy that the cowboys are crazy for keeping tyron smith... i realize he's not healthy a lot but when healthy he's still one of the top 10 tackles..its hard to find good to great OL, that why hes not been send packing into retirement.

Praxit

Reaction score
..I'll go with Patrick on this one. Couple bad days at the office.

We go with benefit of the doubt. GO>>>>> Dallas.

John813

Reaction score
Every player is different in terms of severity of injury, rehabbing and any mental hurdles when it comes to an season ending injury.
Gallup brought it up before the start of the 2022 season and this past offseason of the mental focus and trust in his leg.
Other players come back and not miss a beat.

Steele had a bad game no way around it. We'll see if this is an issue moving forward or just a bad day. In terms of the cause of the bad day, who knows. Just got to hope he moves forward next week

CCBoy

Reaction score
10:30 a.m. — Terence Steele has successfully climbed from the ranks of the NFL undrafted to a very good starting right tackle for the Dallas Cowboys, one who earned a five-year extension in September, but he's had some bad days at the office as of late.

His outing in the narrow loss to the Eagles saw him allow a game-high 12 pressures, his worst showing of the season. He was playing well over the first several contests of the season, as well as seasons prior, and the Cowboys are emphatic in their belief in him.

Especially when considering he's returning from having had several ligaments in his knee surgically repaired only a few months ago.

"We got a lot of confidence in Steele," owner and general manager told 105.3FM the Fan on Friday. "That was a pretty impactful situation we had there with the pressures. But we can do better there. We can do better with help there as well."

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/updates-november-2023

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I like No C, but I don’t agree with him. Yes we praised him for his quick return and we praised him for his good plays, but many of us here have been skeptical since camp about that knee and its strength and potential struggles. If anything I think the expectation for his return was too high.

I think Steele will be fine because he strikes me as a hard worker who always puts in the effort. You can’t hate on that. I’m not gonna tear this dude down, but I do hope he picks it up soon.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Oh yea, men - change a lot when fans doubt them....oh, that's all you guys do. Ask for more and insult the players. Blow off the head of one's beer before crying in it.

:popcorn:
so in your company man mind Steele is just fine....

Pass2Run

Reaction score

I always appreciate Eatman's thoughtfulness in his responses, sometimes even a bit of levity. Patrick, too, really. But I'm still having a good time being a fan this season even if it's a drag to listen to our fans bellyaching about every aspect of the team.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
No doubt Steele had a horrible game, but when the coaches see him struggling they have to make adjustments. People tend to forget the Eagles had the most sacks last year by a mile, they are real good.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
at this point needs to start your sentence.... to say he can't regain form is nonsense!

just like a lot of people on here think its crazy that the cowboys are crazy for keeping tyron smith... i realize he's not healthy a lot but when healthy he's still one of the top 10 tackles..its hard to find good to great OL, that why hes not been send packing into retirement.
The reason being is because that's a lot of money to pay a guy who might play, might not play, and when he does play, he's doesn't particularly make your team better anyway. That's the issue I think some of us have. It sucks when fans talk about the money other people are making, but in this age of information it's difficult to ignore.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I always appreciate Eatman's thoughtfulness in his responses, sometimes even a bit of levity. Patrick, too, really. But I'm still having a good time being a fan this season even if it's a drag to listen to our fans bellyaching about every aspect of the team.
I'm enjoying this season...what are they going to do to me? Update my shot record, bend my dogtags...and send me back over?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

they have to walk a fine line in their roles, but if anybody watched the videos of the games so far can clearly see that Steele has zero movement to his left and he is getting beat on the inside very badly. he can't slide to mimic the defender, which is the most important part of a tackle's job to slide his feet. and his movement to the right is slow, very slow as in he can't move his right leg, but the left drags.

his struggles are spilling over to Martin as he has to react to defenders going to the inside to beat Steele. this is not the Martin we know and seen in all these years and his play seemed to have suffered significantly, which is odd.

also, our OL scheme sucks, which is contributing to all of this.

Toro9

Reaction score

Patrik and Nick are the two Cowboys media personnel I respect the most.