Mailbag: Are Terence Steele's struggles due to ACL?

blueblood70

Reaction score
The reason being is because that's a lot of money to pay a guy who might play, might not play, and when he does play, he's doesn't particularly make your team better anyway. That's the issue I think some of us have. It sucks when fans talk about the money other people are making, but in this age of information it's difficult to ignore.
doesn't matter my point is pretty valid... i believe that the next guy could be as good or better they would put him in fact is that typically NOT THE CASE,

Beaker42

Reaction score
Is Terence Steele perhaps still hampered by his ACL injury from last December? Much of Michael Gallup's struggles in 2022 were attributed to him being less than a year removed from his own ACL injury. Does the same apply to offensive linemen? How do the Cowboys fix their problems at right tackle? – Garrett Porter/Atlanta, GA

Nick Eatman: I'm never one to say there's only two types of scenarios – in this case, it's more than just being healthy and injured. There is an in-between especially when you're dealing with ACL injuries or any surgeries for that matter. Yes, they're healthy enough to play, cleared by the medical team to perform without any restrictions. But that doesn't mean there aren't some limitations involved with these players as they come back – some of it can be mental. I'm not saying any of these are the case with Steele, who is the type of person who won't give a single excuse. But we've seen it with players before – the first year back from the injury is OK. They show some glimpses of their pre-injury self but not on a consistent basis. But it's the next year when they start to fully recover. And I think some of that could be happening with Steele. But I will say, he had a rough game against the Eagles' pass-rush. There have been some other moments this year in which Steele didn't have his best stuff, but he's been pretty good for the most part. And then there's that other thing … every player that gets a new contract is always viewed in a different light. Now, the expectations are much higher so we seem to focus on the negative plays a little more. Add it all up and Steele hasn't been what we've seen in the past but I think he'll be just fine moving forward.

Patrik: I understand why some would point to that being a potential cause, and I'm not saying it isn't, but I'm hard-pressed to view it that way when this is the same player we were rightfully praising in training camp and over the first several games of the season for being back in prime form, and so quickly, with little to no ramp-up period. He was the glaring bright spot on the offensive line early on, in his return from injury, so I'm more inclined to believe it's just been a couple of bad days at the office. Everybody has them, as you well know from the offensive struggles on the whole for the first part of the season, and I believe that's what I'm seeing from Steele. Count me out on any talks of benching him because that will be counterproductive. He needs to work through his recent struggles with game reps, and there's no reason to siphon his confidence (which only makes things worse) by giving him the hook, nor are the Cowboys interested in doing that anyway (in my opinion). I think he's earned some grace here.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-are-terence-steele-s-struggles-due-to-acl
He has another “bad day at the office” and he needs to hit the aluminum. No excuse for that pi$$ poor performance.

CCBoy

Reaction score
He has another “bad day at the office” and he needs to hit the aluminum. No excuse for that pi$$ poor performance.
You have a vulgar mouth and need to just see a recruiter and really fight something worth it.

tunahelper

Reaction score
So two Cowboys writers say, "I am not saying it is and I am not saying it isn't, blah, blah, blah."

I just think it is impossible to overlook the fact he was injuured last year and had surgery in the offseason. He was never the best pass protector, but he was an awesome run blocker. He is worse in both categories this year. I have to believe the injury is part of it. We have seen so many other players struggle their first year back from surgery, why should Steele be any different. I think they have to stick with him and work with him to make sure his technique ot correct, but at the same time denying there is a problem seems like the wrong move.
To me it doesn't matter why it's happening. Steele you are paid at a higher level, so it is time to reach it consistently.