Mailbag: Concerns About Rushing Steele Back?

doomsday9084

Reaction score
My non expert understanding: A full ACL repair involves cutting out the old ACL, creating a new ligament by removing a section from the front, drilling a hole through the bones and then anchoring the moved tendon to the bones. The recovery is effectively the bones healing and regrowing around the ligament. Once they re-grow, your knee is back to full strength and you have no excess risk of injury. This takes 6 to 9 months. In athletes dependent on speed, it has frequently taken them another year before they feel fully back to original.

Based on everything I have read about Steele, he is going to be completely fine for this year. They aren't going to be "rushing" him in a way that creates risk for reinjury. At this point, its all about his comfort level more than risk level.

Once you have an ACL tear you are at an elevated risk for a second one but its usually the other leg.

plasticman

Reaction score
Is it just me or did Eatman's answer about rushing Steele seem a little patronizing?

"Those are the best in the business and regardless what you might think, players don't get "rushed back" ... ever."
" I think the athletic trainers know what they're doing...."

Yes, and I'm sure they are under absolutely no pressure from their boss, Jerry Jones, to give him the answer he wants to hear.

Never rushed back? Ever? Not even Tony Romo in 2015? When he got hurt in game #2 He was out for 7 games, all losses by the Cowboys. He came back in game #10 only to reinjure himself in game #11 and miss the rest of the season.

I think it was a very fair question to ask.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
My non expert understanding: A full ACL repair involves cutting out the old ACL, creating a new ligament by removing a section from the front, drilling a hole through the bones and then anchoring the moved tendon to the bones. The recovery is effectively the bones healing and regrowing around the ligament. Once they re-grow, your knee is back to full strength and you have no excess risk of injury. This takes 6 to 9 months. In athletes dependent on speed, it has frequently taken them another year before they feel fully back to original.

Based on everything I have read about Steele, he is going to be completely fine for this year. They aren't going to be "rushing" him in a way that creates risk for reinjury. At this point, its all about his comfort level more than risk level.

Once you have an ACL tear you are at an elevated risk for a second one but its usually the other leg.
Sounds graphic, and thanks for your medical on him, but Steele doesn't need to be a WR, he will be fine when he recovers and add instant support back to the OL when cleared.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I say they just follow what the doctors order. And i mean the real doctors, not Dr. Jerry or his nurse Stephen.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Truth. The niners were down to a 3rd string rookie Qb and still made it one game from a Super Bowl
That all got nullified in the eggles game , as they lost both Qbs to injury. It became a no contest.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Sounds graphic, and thanks for your medical on him, but Steele doesn't need to be a WR, he will be fine when he recovers and add instant support back to the OL when cleared.
Going across sports: Basketball, soccer, etc. Players dependent on speed and athleticism take up to 18 months to get that back after an ACL injury. Gallup is not rare in that regard. That said, your risk of a re injury goes down to its lowest point at around 6 to 9 months. Waiting further isn't protecting you.

Since Steele isn't a speed guy, I think he will be fine.
https://www.researchgate.net/figure...the-Anterior-Cruciate-Ligament_tbl2_317712456

That's an in depth look at lineman (both offense and defense) ACL injuries. Lots and lots of stats but the high level summary is that there is an impact but its not really big.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Cowboys made it to 2 games from the Super Bowl and overcame numerous injuries to do it.
Its called winning it all and the healthy teams win it all

Gomers that are fat and happy at just winning 12 games and blowing out a losing team afterwardss are losers

gtb1943

Reaction score
Is it just me or did Eatman's answer about rushing Steele seem a little patronizing?

"Those are the best in the business and regardless what you might think, players don't get "rushed back" ... ever."
" I think the athletic trainers know what they're doing...."

Yes, and I'm sure they are under absolutely no pressure from their boss, Jerry Jones, to give him the answer he wants to hear.

Never rushed back? Ever? Not even Tony Romo in 2015? When he got hurt in game #2 He was out for 7 games, all losses by the Cowboys. He came back in game #10 only to reinjure himself in game #11 and miss the rest of the season.

I think it was a very fair question to ask
ANYONE who has watched football for a while has seen players who should have been held out longer sent back into the game so Eatman frankly was insulting everyone with a brain there.

Players who should have been held out for another week or two going back and clearly not near 100% is frankly COMMON.