News: Mailbag: concerns left over from last season

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My biggest concern from last season is an old one that was not addressed in the off season.

Our head coach does ok during the regular season, but if his teams make the playoffs, I have never seen him out coach anyone. Even in his 2 playoff wins. You don’t win in the NFL playoffs without some excellent and creative preparation from your head coach and staff. Coaching is never more prominent than in the playoffs.

In the 8 full seasons Jason Garrett has been here, he has done some good things like improve the talent and player development. His teams have always played hard for him. But he’s also only had 2 really good teams- 2014 and 2016. Both of those teams had a point differential of +115 which is outstanding. Only to see both fall in the first or second round.

Sure, I want to see us get better on both sides of the ball. But if the head coach doesn’t raise his game, I fear we have seen the best he can do. That’s my biggest concern from the past.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Admittedly I have limited knowledge of Hill but my understanding is as XWalker described. Physical enough to be stouter at the point of attack than some of our other 3T's while still having movement skills to penetrate.That's what I am hoping for anyway.

I think the ability is there, but the skill and know-how may need to be developed. At this point, I view him as a "ball of clay" to be developed. Right now, I think he can provide some interior pass rush but may be a liability vs the run. Hopefully, he develops his all-around game.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My biggest concern from last season is an old one that was not addressed in the off season.

Our head coach does ok during the regular season, but if his teams make the playoffs, I have never seen him out coach anyone. Even in his 2 playoff wins. You don’t win in the NFL playoffs without some excellent and creative preparation from your head coach and staff. Coaching is never more prominent than in the playoffs.

In the 8 full seasons Jason Garrett has been here, he has done some good things like improve the talent and player development. His teams have always played hard for him. But he’s also only had 2 really good teams- 2014 and 2016. Both of those teams had a point differential of +115 which is outstanding. Only to see both fall in the first or second round.

Sure, I want to see us get better on both sides of the ball. But if the head coach doesn’t raise his game, I fear we have seen the best he can do. That’s my biggest concern from the past.

Take comfort in one thing, he's either going to improve in this area, or he won't be coaching this team in 2020. Either way, we as fans win.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
-
I would explain it to you, but I bet you would disagree. :laugh:

But here it goes anyway.

They added Covington in FA, that many considered a good signing. The drafted Hill, though many internet GM's think they know better and should not have.
Collins in a contract year and Woods in his 2nd year coming off of a productive. Crawford plays well and does a lot of the dirty work that does not show up on the stat sheet.
They signed Hyder, though more for DE, but he too can play inside if needed.

On paper it is much improved. Just need to see it in games now, which I think we will.
How did they address the run defense?

In 2018, the Cowboys were:
- 5th in total rushing yards allowed.
- 4th in Yards/Carry allowed.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/cowboys-run-defense-2018-2019.435938/

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the ability is there, but the skill and know-how may need to be developed. At this point, I view him as a "ball of clay" to be developed. Right now, I think he can provide some interior pass rush but may be a liability vs the run. Hopefully, he develops his all-around game.

He just needs to be better than Crawford...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was one of the guys who bought into the Crawford signing, but he’s a fringe player. He’s a jack of all trades and a master of none.

I don’t like Crawford as a DT. He’s more of a run stopper at DE on early downs at this point in his career. I could see us moving on from him one way or the other.

Crawford
- He has been a full time starter the past 5 years.
- He does not project to start at either DE or DT in 2019.
- His best position in the Cowboys scheme is likely LDE.
- Basically Marinell scheme LDE=5-tech, RDE=7-tech.
- He has been playing RDE and 3-tech DT because DLaw=LDE.
- His 2019 salary is 7M.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Take comfort in one thing, he's either going to improve in this area, or he won't be coaching this team in 2020. Either way, we as fans win.
I hope you’re right. Jerry usually doesn’t see things like a real GM where winning in the playoffs is the bottom line for any NFL Head Coach.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope you’re right. Jerry usually doesn’t see things like a real GM where winning in the playoffs is the bottom line for any NFL Head Coach.

I'll admit that he's had trouble with that in the past, but he's set Garrett up to be a lame duck coach this year intentionally. And the pro-Garrett fans can cry about that term all they want. The fact is that this organization - and Jerry Jones specifically - have made a conscious effort not to extend Garrett's contract. If they had wanted to, they had their perfect "excuse" to do so after last year's turnaround and playoff win. It was the perfect opportunity to sell more of Garrett to the fanbase and they chose not to do that. That means that he has something to prove, to them as well as us, before he gets an extension, and if he doesn't, he gets the boot.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll admit that he's had trouble with that in the past, but he's set Garrett up to be a lame duck coach this year intentionally. And the pro-Garrett fans can cry about that term all they want. The fact is that this organization - and Jerry Jones specifically - have made a conscious effort not to extend Garrett's contract. If they had wanted to, they had their perfect "excuse" to do so after last year's turnaround and playoff win. It was the perfect opportunity to sell more of Garrett to the fanbase and they chose not to do that. That means that he has something to prove, to them as well as us, before he gets an extension, and if he doesn't, he gets the boot.
Well said Stas.

Verdict

Reaction score
Crawford
- His 2019 salary is 7M.

Conclusion? He’s on his way out?

I think it’s probable.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Crawford
- His 2019 salary is 7M.
Crawford is a jag and has been playing out of position since we switched to a 4-3

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
-

In 2018, the Cowboys were:
- 5th in total rushing yards allowed.
- 4th in Yards/Carry allowed.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/cowboys-run-defense-2018-2019.435938/
Yet somehow took an absolute dump when it mattered most. Either our coaching was that bad. But none of them got fired. Or we dont have the talent. Which on the interior of our d line we do not have a space eater.

The stats are good but it also helps when teams dont run very much against them. The defense was 21st in run attempts against

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Don’t you remember you took a rotational DT with 31 career solo tackles in college in the second round that people made a thread on here saying he’s one of the favorites for DROY.
Lol go back to that thread it was a wasted pick if we are looking for run defense. The kid is an uphill rusher not run stopper.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Physically, Hill was a Bull in a China Cabinet in college. He has more than enough physical ability to do anything required of a 3-tech DT in the NFL.

In the UCF's "championship game" against Memphis, almost all of the 41 points scored by Memphis were when he was off the field for those drives. The 1 TD where he was one the field was after a UCF offensive turnover put Memphis down in the RZ.

Any issues Hill had vs the run were from shooting the gap in pass rush mode and being out of position or off-balance when it turned out to be a run.

The out of position issue is a bit of a concern because it's happened with other DTs in Marinelli's scheme. The Rams schemed against it.

Yeah, it's concerning. He's a "rushman" being coached by a guy who prefers "rushmen". Not sure Rod can help him. I liked the pick, for what it's worth.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yet somehow took an absolute dump when it mattered most. Either our coaching was that bad. But none of them got fired. Or we dont have the talent. Which on the interior of our d line we do not have a space eater.

The stats are good but it also helps when teams dont run very much against them. The defense was 21st in run attempts against

They were 17th in pass attempts against.

2017: The defense was young and inexperienced.
DE ...... Dlaw ................ Multi-year starter at LDE.
DE ...... Crawford ......... Not really a RDE but started there.
DT ...... Collins ............. Solid veteran when healthy.
DT ...... A.Woods ......... 1st year as starter.
CB ...... Awuzie ............ 1st year as full time starter
CB ...... Jones .............. 1st year as full time CB.
CB ...... Brown .............. 1st year as starting Nickel DB.
FS ...... X.Woods .......... 1st year as starting FS.
SS ...... Heath ............... Played more at FS in past years.
LB ...... LVE .................. Rookie
LB ...... Jaylon .............. 1st year as full time starter.

Coverage Scheme........1st year for Cowboys players in Kris Richard scheme.

2018: All projected starters have at least 1 year starting experience at the position.
DE ...... Dlaw ................ Shoulder problem all of 2018. Surgically Corrected Now.
DE ...... Crawford ......... Crawford might not even make the roster. Quinn starter at RDE.
DT ...... Collins ............. Lingering injury issue in 2018. Health is key for 2018. Hill with rotate at 3-tech.
DT ...... A.Woods ......... Injured vs Rams. More experience and backup 1-tech Covington added.
CB ...... Awuzie ............ A full season plus of starting experience.
CB ...... Jones .............. A full season starting at CB.
CB ...... Brown ............. A full season starting at Nickel DB.
FS ...... X.Woods ......... A full season startign at FS.
SS ...... Heath .............. Possibly replaced by Iloka (or D.Wilson or Thompson)
LB ...... LVE ................. In his 2nd season now.
LB ...... Jaylon ............. A full season plus of starting.

Kris Richard …….…… Players have a full season of experience with his scheme.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Admittedly I have limited knowledge of Hill but my understanding is as XWalker described. Physical enough to be stouter at the point of attack than some of our other 3T's while still having movement skills to penetrate.That's what I am hoping for anyway.
Doesn't matter, our 3Ts aren't supposed to be stout at the POA, they're supposed to penetrate. What they need is a 1T who commands a double.

In all reality, they need the two tackles to command 3 blockers so that the MLB is unblocked. You won't command a double if you can't move, because the C/G can just punch and move to the second level. The Cowboys don't use 2-gap players so being stout at the POA is far less important than it is in other defenses.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Thats not true i didnt want us to pay suh. But there were a bunch of proven space eating run stoppers on the market. Next you guys are going to tell me they addressed the safety situation as well
Like who?

Depending on the source, Covington was one of the top-10 DTs available and is exactly the type of player you're describing.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crawford is a jag and has been playing out of position since we switched to a 4-3

Crawford has been well compensated but they've limited his career with the constant position switching.

He would prefer to keep his weight at the bottom of his weight range to play RDE but would prefer to bulk up to his max weight to play DT.

Last season he split starts almost equally between RDE and DT.

In the 4-3 Under Defense that the Cowboys run, the LDE is normally the position most similar to a 3-4 DE (big DE aligned closer to head up on OT).

Crawford would best fit at LDE much like Tony Tolbert back in the day at LDE with Haley at RDE.

The issue is that DLaw as the top pass rusher and big contract DE and he plays LDE.

That has pushed Crawford to sometimes start at RDE which in the 4-3 Under is normally more like a 3-4 OLB than 3-4 DL (wide of the OT).

The other spot Crawford has been relegated to play is 3-tech DT where he is undersized.

Crawford would be fine as a backup that plays DE on runs downs and can play DT in obvious passing situations; however his salary is a bit high to be in that role.