Major Vehicle Recalls

triplets_93

Reaction score
GM recall: Side air bags can explode in Chevy, GMC pickups

https://apnews.com/article/business-technology-7a6147cd751d5f53a7a74aea5f27a134

DETROIT (AP) — General Motors is recalling more than 400,000 pickup trucks in the U.S. because the side air bags can explode without warning and spew parts into the cabin.

The recall covers certain 2015 and 2016 Chevrolet and GMC Sierra 1500, 2500, and 3500 trucks.

Documents posted Friday by U.S. safety regulators say the air bag inflator can rupture or the end cap can fly off on both sides of the trucks. Documents say three inflators ruptured in 2015 Silverados last month, one in Florida and two in Texas. All three trucks were unoccupied at the time, and GM says it has no reports of injuries..

The company says a manufacturing defect allowed moisture into the inflator while it was being manufactured, causing corrosion. The inflators were made in Mexico by Joyson Safety Systems.

Creeper

Reaction score
I drive a 10 year old Jeep. I still get recall notices warning me my vehicle could catch fire somehow. I keep thinking, "Good". I get the insurance money rather than having to sell the POS. Plus, whenever I took my car in for a recall repair, I wound up paying for brakes, water pumps, or some other maintenance I didn't know I needed. I think dealers use recalls to get you into their service shops so they can find something they can charge you for. I had a recall for a vanity light in the visor and somehow they wound up inspecting my brake pads.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I drive a 10 year old Jeep. I still get recall notices warning me my vehicle could catch fire somehow. I keep thinking, "Good". I get the insurance money rather than having to sell the POS. Plus, whenever I took my car in for a recall repair, I wound up paying for brakes, water pumps, or some other maintenance I didn't know I needed. I think dealers use recalls to get you into their service shops so they can find something they can charge you for. I had a recall for a vanity light in the visor and somehow they wound up inspecting my brake pads.
.. or you think, "If it's serious enough, they'll come pick it up!" :D :D

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score

It happened to several here in Charlotte that lead to the recall. It was something about going through tall grass and it would gather in a certain spot iirc between the firewall and exhaust and ignite.

Creeper

Reaction score
.. or you think, "If it's serious enough, they'll come pick it up!" :D :D

True! But when they say you only have 2000 miles left on your pads they can only tell that by inspecting the brakes. And of course new pads means new rotors, caliper inspections and maybe new calipers too. For $1500 they will give you your car back!

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I had a dealership try that crap on me once.
Go in for a recall and they told me my rotors/breaks need replaced as they are looking pretty worn down.
I said well that is amazing since I just had them replaced 3 months ago.
The look on the guys face of getting busted was priceless.

But that was the only time they tried it.

Recently had a recall with my charger, no problems and it was in and out. However I did hear a couple of salesman where talking to a customer that wanted so much in trade in so he could get a new dodge truck. Sales guy said...I will do everything I can and go through all the things I can to get you this truck. As the guy walked away he looked at his fellow worker and rolled his eyes while shaking his head no. LMAO...just cracked me up.

About 10+ years ago my father had a recall on his truck for a paint issue.
The first time the dealership spot painted a couple of areas but with the wrong color of blue. Dark blue truck they used light blue paint so it looked like bleach spots. Dad said that would not do. So they got the right color but looked they were just being jerks and over sprayed it so you could see the paint streaks/drips on the side of his truck.

He told them he was taking the true to a trusted local body works and paint guy (Sunny's Shop) and they were paying for it. They did not even try to fight him about it.

Creeper

Reaction score
I had a dealership try that crap on me once.
Go in for a recall and they told me my rotors/breaks need replaced as they are looking pretty worn down.
I said well that is amazing since I just had them replaced 3 months ago.
The look on the guys face of getting busted was priceless.

But that was the only time they tried it.

Recently had a recall with my charger, no problems and it was in and out. However I did hear a couple of salesman where talking to a customer that wanted so much in trade in so he could get a new dodge truck. Sales guy said...I will do everything I can and go through all the things I can to get you this truck. As the guy walked away he looked at his fellow worker and rolled his eyes while shaking his head no. LMAO...just cracked me up.

About 10+ years ago my father had a recall on his truck for a paint issue.
The first time the dealership spot painted a couple of areas but with the wrong color of blue. Dark blue truck they used light blue paint so it looked like bleach spots. Dad said that would not do. So they got the right color but looked they were just being jerks and over sprayed it so you could see the paint streaks/drips on the side of his truck.

He told them he was taking the true to a trusted local body works and paint guy (Sunny's Shop) and they were paying for it. They did not even try to fight him about it.

I read somewhere that dealers make more money on servicing the vehicles they sell than they do selling the cars.

terra

Reaction score
I read somewhere that dealers make more money on servicing the vehicles they sell than they do selling the cars.
Yep. Outrageous hourly rates for maintenance and repair and parts sold to you for much more than they pay for and so on. I had a friend who was a used car dealer and he told me that he would usually only make about $100 per deal going into his own pocket. The dealership did not get much more. Now for new cars it can be better depending on the deal; how close to retail you pay and if any rebates are coming from the dealer. But everything I have heard says that no they do not really make all that much selling cars. It is like convenience stores: they barely make enough selling gasoline to pay for the gas (unless they are gouging). Their real revenue comes from all the drinks and snacks and so on they sell.

John813

Reaction score
IIRC dealers don't make too much on new vehicles, sans the select few niche variants of models.
For example for Ford they'll give you a good discount pre covid for a new XLT/Lariat/etc F150 or ecoboost v6/GT Mustangs. However, many were charging MSRP or above for the new Raptor or GT500.

For sure the money is in the service bay now. The dealer next to me charges more than some professional services like planning, engineering and architecture hourly rates sans the big dogs at those firms.

Creeper

Reaction score
Yep. Outrageous hourly rates for maintenance and repair and parts sold to you for much more than they pay for and so on. I had a friend who was a used car dealer and he told me that he would usually only make about $100 per deal going into his own pocket. The dealership did not get much more. Now for new cars it can be better depending on the deal; how close to retail you pay and if any rebates are coming from the dealer. But everything I have heard says that no they do not really make all that much selling cars. It is like convenience stores: they barely make enough selling gasoline to pay for the gas (unless they are gouging). Their real revenue comes from all the drinks and snacks and so on they sell.

Being 68, I have a long list of dealer horror stories going all the way back to my teens. They charge ridiculous prices for parts. I was once told the halogen lightbulbs for the hatch lid on my Camaro were $25 each! The brake light assembly contained 5 of those. Are you kidding me! Then the Chevy dealer told me the motor that closes the hatch cost $800 because it could not be shipped by air or some crap like that. BMW, (a real POS) wanted to charge me $115 for wiper blades. Not the arms, just the rubber blade part! They claimed they were special size. It was BS. The only problem was the two front blades were different lengths. They wanted $995 for each new BMW wheel. They were made by some wheel company that sold the same wheel with their own logo cap instead of the BMW logo but for $225 instead of 1995. You could just swap out the logos.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Chevy Bolt Fires

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/14/gm-...side-or-charge-them-unattended-overnight.html

General Motors is telling owners of 2017-2019 Bolt EVs that were part of a recent recall not to park their vehicles inside or charge them unattended overnight after two of the vehicles caught fire.

The two Bolt EVs were repaired as part of a recall of nearly 69,000 of the vehicles that were flagged for fire risks. The recall was initially announced in November by GM and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My 2016 SRX has a recall but the fix isn't available. The rear end can get funky and it isn't safe to drive if that is happening and their recommendation is having it towed to the closest dealership. And then what? They just sent out the 2nd notice and still no fix.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I remember being a kid and being at the dealer and feeling bad/embarrassed by my dad because I thought he was treating the sales person poorly.

Turns out he knew exactly what he was doing.

Every car I’ve purchased I went in knowing exactly what I wanted and how much I was willing to pay.

Some folks don’t realize you hold all the leverage. Nobody can make you buy something you don’t want.