Making sense of LB at 17

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Make all the sense you want about taking a LB at 17 but it isn't going to happen.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I still say if we draft Murray or Queen in rd1....it has everything to do with new dc Mike Nolan and what he intends to do on that side of the ball....and less with LVE.

So if LVE is healthy...and we draft one of those dudes where do you play them?

cowboyec

Reaction score
my preference is Murray and I think he challenges for Lee's spot...he can play all 3...very versatile chess piece for Nolan.

as for LVE i still think no news is good news.
this interest in LBs is about what Nolan wants to do defensively.

cnuball21

Reaction score
imo no off the ball LB is worth a 1st Rd pick unless they have serious wow factor and talent like Simmons.

Agree 100%. Needs to be a blue chipper...Kuechly, Simmons, etc...

Unless we're talking about someone who can rush the passer.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Agree 100%. Needs to be a blue chipper...Kuechly, Simmons, etc...

Unless we're talking about someone who can rush the passer.

Been saying this for a while now, off-ball LB do not bring first-round value unless they are elite talents.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

I don’t think it’s ever a good idea to look at your roster on paper in 2-D. All it takes is Zach Martin pulling in an OTA and blocking down on Sean Lee and bam, you’ve lost your starter for the year.

Take the best player available at a position of need. Who knows how the board will fall at #17.

I think there are enough question marks at LB that it makes sense to take a LB early in the right scenario.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Only way is if we play 3-4 defense, and they would play the middle, and Jaylon would be playing the Anthony Spencer role.

Murray playing MIKE / MLB exposes his weaknesses and minimizes his strengths IMO.

I think he's overrated, but if he is going to be good in the NFL he needs to play WILL / OLB where he can flow a little freer to the ball and not have to get off blocks.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Murray playing MIKE / MLB exposes his weaknesses and minimizes his strengths IMO.

I think he's overrated, but if he is going to be good in the NFL he needs to play WILL / OLB where he can flow a little freer to the ball and not have to get off blocks.
I'd take Queen over Murray, but again I wouldn't take either in the first RD.

cnuball21

Reaction score
my preference is Murray and I think he challenges for Lee's spot...he can play all 3...very versatile chess piece for Nolan.

as for LVE i still think no news is good news.
this interest in LBs is about what Nolan wants to do defensively.

So Lee's spot in our current defense is the SAM which sees very minimal snaps. If we're taking Murray to take Lee's spot then he's basically a backup LBr.

If you're saying we're going to play the SAM more as a 3-4 pass rusher than Murray doesn't fit the bill as he's doesn't give you edge rush flex.

I don't think that makes sense at 17.

cowboyec

Reaction score
So Lee's spot in our current defense is the SAM which sees very minimal snaps. If we're taking Murray to take Lee's spot then he's basically a backup LBr.

If you're saying we're going to play the SAM more as a 3-4 pass rusher than Murray doesn't fit the bill as he's doesn't give you edge rush flex.

I don't think that makes sense at 17.
we haven't seen our current defense under Mike Nolan.
this is a player you and i disagree on.
i think he'll be a helluva player in this league for a long,long time....inside or out.

cowboyec

Reaction score
it might not make sense to us....but it obviously does to them because they're talkin' to several...up and down the board.

cnuball21

Reaction score
we haven't seen our current defense under Mike Nolan.
this is a player you and i disagree on.
i think he'll be a helluva player in this league for a long,long time....inside or out.

True about Nolan...but again, where do you play him?

If Nolan makes it more 3-4 than he needs to have more outside pass rushing ability to stick outisde if LVE is healthy playing the middle.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s ever a good idea to look at your roster on paper in 2-D. All it takes is Zach Martin pulling in an OTA and blocking down on Sean Lee and bam, you’ve lost your starter for the year.

Take the best player available at a position of need. Who knows how the board will fall at #17.

I think there are enough question marks at LB that it makes sense to take a LB early in the right scenario.

I get it...but if you're looking at a potential replacement for Lee who will be our SAM if LVE is right then we're talking about someone who will play half the snaps of LVE and Smith due to how much nickel we play.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I get it...but if you're looking at a potential replacement for Lee who will be our SAM if LVE is right then we're talking about someone who will play half the snaps of LVE and Smith due to how much nickel we play.

I’m guessing the team has an idea if there’s any truth in the rumor they are very interested in Murray.

cowboyec

Reaction score
True about Nolan...but again, where do you play him?

If Nolan makes it more 3-4 than he needs to have more outside pass rushing ability to stick outisde if LVE is healthy playing the middle.
i still think he'll play outside.
there are alot of LBs in this class i like...beyond any rd1 or rd2 options.
Jordyn Brooks,Tx Tech...tho he is a fast riser.
Maliek Harrison,Ohio St
Logan Wilson,Wyoming
Jacob Phillips,Lsu
D'Jon Harris,Arkansas
Michael Pickney,Miami

im really curious to see where Michigan's Khaleke Hudson goes...very versatile...could play S....LB as well.

I still don't think we go Murray in rd1...I think it'll be K'Lavon Chaisson,Lsu...but its hard to ignore the chatter...even after what Stephen Jones said.
he is a real possibility...but only if it goes wiggy.