Making the Case for Drafting Florida Tight End Kyle Pitts

roughneck266

Reaction score
I dont think there is a rule that we arent allowed to draft a blue chip defensive player either though.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I dont think there is a rule that we arent allowed to draft a blue chip defensive player either though.
Is there a blue chip defender to be had mid 1st round though? If you fall in love with a defender then i get passing on the TE, and i can see that happening especially with one of the CBs, but the general consensus is that Pitts is a matchup nightmare, and the gap between mid 1st and 2nd round defenders is pretty slim.

I would have no issues with Pitts in the first then going defender, defender in rounds 2/3.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I remember back on C-F people pitching a fit because we drafted Dez Bryant over Roger Saffold when we needed OL. A few years later no one would admit that was them.

Kyle Pitts over a defender could be a similar scenario. I think he ends up in the top 10 though
Yup, dont pass on Randy Moss again

Sydla

Reaction score
I get he's a talent. I get that he's a freak. I also get it's possible he might be the BPA when we draft.

But holy **** taking a TE in the first round after we witnessed a season where our defense showed a SIGNIFICANT lack of talent and a year after we took a WR in the first round (which was the right pick).

stilltheguru

Reaction score
With there potentially being 5 first round corners I cant do it. Unless every corner is gone by our pick which I doubt then I'd take Pitts easy over any dt/lb/safety/de

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I get he's a talent. I get that he's a freak. I also get it's possible he might be the BPA when we draft.

But holy **** taking a TE in the first round after we witnessed a season where our defense showed a SIGNIFICANT lack of talent and a year after we took a WR in the first round (which was the right pick).

I fully get what you are saying, but it would be a mistake passing on a better player to reach to fill a need. If the tags were touching, I could understand the team rating the position of need ahead of him, but if he is highest rated on their board, they can:

-Draft him and worry about the fit later.
-Deal one of their current receivers to obtain additional pick or picks for defense.
-Look to find a trade down partner.

This is why teams look to fill all their needs prior to the draft as they just don't know how it will play out. Just last year, the team could of drafted Chaisson which filled a much bigger need, especially with the deep WR class, but they chose to draft Lamb cause he was far and away the best player left on their board.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
If there are 5 first round rated corners, that doesn’t mean that Dallas has them all rated as first rounders.

Let’s say Dallas has 3 of them rated as firsts (the other 2 as seconds) and that all three of them are gone. There likely won’t be a DT or safety rated anywhere close to Pitts. As for the LB’ers, most that I would really want are late first/early second round guys, and won’t be ranked nearly as high as Pitts.

So, if Pitts is there at our pick (I don’t think he will be) and Dallas has him rated as highly as I think they will... then the TE would just have to be the pick.

You don’t want to pass on a Kelsey just to take an Awuzie... all because you have more defensive needs.

However, I think Pitts is going to be gone before Dallas picks. He will fly up draft boards I’m afraid.

Last year I correctly predicted that one of the big 3 WR’s would be there at Dallas’ pick and that he would be the BPA by a mile. The only reason that I felt like that might happen was because it was such a historically great, deep WR draft. With Pitts, he’s in a class by himself and will in all likelihood be gone in the top 10 picks.