Making the most of Limited Resources

Mr_437

Reaction score
Byron Jones gives up an average of 2.3 rec/game...and 23.4 yards/game. That's about as good as it gets folks. You can talk about interceptions, but your CB isn't forcing in the run and giving up receptions n yards what's the point.

There's more to a CB than interceptions.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Why do we want to save on the cap? I can understand not restructuring a bunch, but we have a ton of space. I think there's about 0 chance we go into the draft with a gaping hole at CB. We're going to sign Byron, or we're going to sign another FA that has some talent. I guess we could tag him.

We're $80mill under with Crawford on the books. For 2021, we're at least $105mill under.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/dallas-cowboys/

Dak year 1 cap hit will be like, 10-15mill. Year 2 it'd be about 36mill.
Goff contract = https://overthecap.com/player/jared-goff/4714/

Amari cap hit year 1 will be 7-10mill. 15mill year two.
Michael Thomas contract = https://overthecap.com/player/michael-thomas/4760/

Byron year 1 would be 8-10mill, 13-14mill year two.
Xavien Howard contract = https://overthecap.com/player/xavien-howard/4751/

So we got about $45mill extra this year, and $40mill+ next year. And remember, what we don't use this year rolls over, and it's going to be new negotiations for salary cap with the NFL making $$, so it might go up more (and even more every year after that since it's related to revenue and it's been going up $8-10mill every year).

Can still let Crawford go too for $8mill.

I'm definitely getting a big ol' fatty in the draft, and even if we sign Byron, we still are probably going to take a CB in the 2-3rd round. This draft is deep at CB, very likely they'll be BPA, and Awuzie + Lewis both free agents next year.
Nick Wright would say you are wrong and would tell you we would have to cut the offensive line and Zeke.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Dak, Cooper, and Byron would be the big ticket items for this year.

Dak is staying, at least under the tag so we will skip him.

Cooper is a big ticket item. But losing him you end up with uncertainty. I might tag him instead of paying him long term.

If you consider the cap ramifications of which free agents cost the most (and value those positions in the draft) that can be an indicator of which direction the Cowboys may look in the draft.

Amari will cost more than say Byron. On the other hand a rookie corner can often plug and play faster than a receiver.

If the Cowboys want to preserve their cap, they could let Byron walk and draft a corner early. They could also try to extend Lewis maybe two years and get him on the cheap since he hasn’t been a starter up to this point.

I could see them letting Quinn walk and play Dorance Armstrong as the other DE (starter). He is better against the run than Quinn. He is a lesser pass rusher but I am sure we be looking for the next Quinn next year.

The point to this thread is we have limited RSS (players, picks and cap). If we are going to try to keep our cap in line someone has to go. At the same time we need to improve the defense.

Cap wise (and practically) it’s easier and cheaper to find and pay for a run clogging DT. Of course we could get that later in the draft.

I think we will take at least one corner high. DT is high on the needs list but if we aren’t looking for a pass rushing 1Tech we may be able to get one cheaply.

For what Amari would cost though you may be able to get two players from these positions: DT, Linebacker and Safety.

It’s going to be interesting how they play this one.

Would love to get something done with Dak and Amari then use the tag on Byron. Or if the franchise and transition tag is available use it on 2 players. Then if you didn't want to pay Byron trade him for picks. I would presume you should be able to get a 1st round pick. Don't let assets walk away.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
It would be a shame to let Byron and his ball hawking skills walk.