Malcolm Butler?

Reaction score
Pats are shopping him after signing Gilmore. He's only got a $3.9m cap hit for his last year. If price is not too high for trade, worth a deal this year? Knowing that we'll have more cap room next year. Maybe better than re-signing Carr/Claiborne or having to start a rookie CB.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Screw the Pats...why are they trying to trade him, why not keep him the make their secondary that much better?
We signed Carroll and can get Mo or Carr back. Don't think we need to make a trade.

We probably won't be starting a rookie. We have Scandrick and Brown, as long as he doesn't have a 2nd year drop off.

slick325

Reaction score
Pats are shopping him after signing Gilmore. He's only got a $3.9m cap hit for his last year. If price is not too high for trade, worth a deal this year? Knowing that we'll have more cap room next year. Maybe better than re-signing Carr/Claiborne or having to start a rookie CB.

Isn't he a restricted free agent? If so, what was the tender offer? Can't recall and too lazy to check on my own @rpatricc...lol

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Well Claiborne's already gone right? Depth chart is looking like Oscan/Carr/Anthony Brown/Carroll I'm assuming. I like Malcom Butler though, if he's available for the right deal then I'd take it.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
The problem with dealing for Butler is the contract he will want. I think he's in the last year of his deal, but if we wanted to break the bank on a CB, why not sign Gillmore?

slick325

Reaction score
Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere it's a first round pick.

No way.

Thanks @robjay04...figured it would be a 1st or 2nd round tender.

Draft pick PLUS a new contract for him...I'll pass. Like the player and feel he deserves to get a good payday but...

visionary

Reaction score
Why don't the Pats just release him like everyone knows we will do with Romo

Oh wait, they're not completely stupid unlike Jerry

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well Claiborne's already gone right? Depth chart is looking like Oscan/Carr/Anthony Brown/Carroll I'm assuming. I like Malcom Butler though, if he's available for the right deal then I'd take it.

Didn't see where he signed with any team. Someone posted Baltimore was interested, but not sure if anything came of that.

Reaction score
The problem with dealing for Butler is the contract he will want. I think he's in the last year of his deal, but if we wanted to break the bank on a CB, why not sign Gillmore?
Fair point. But you don't have to sign Butler this year. Trade for him as is. $3.9m. Again, only if the pats would deal him for a lower pick like they did with Collins and Jones.

robjay04

Reaction score
Why don't the Pats just release him like everyone knows we will do with Romo

Oh wait, they're not completely stupid unlike Jerry

Because you play 3-5 corners in a game.

You only play one QB. Jerry has nothing to do with everyone knowing Romo isn't going to be on this team next season. It's common sense, you don't keep any player on your bench for potentially every snap of the season making that much money, especially if the player is 37.

robjay04

Reaction score
Fair point. But you don't have to sign Butler this year. Trade for him as is. $3.9m. Again, only if the pats would deal him for a lower pick like they did with Collins and Jones.

I could be wrong but I believe if we trade for Butler, we have to offer him a contract and Patriots will the right to match. He's not on a one year deal, he is a restricted free agent...the pick we have to give up for him is fixed and non negotiable.

visionary

Reaction score
Because you play 3-5 corners in a game.

You only play one QB. Jerry has nothing to do with everyone knowing Romo isn't going to be on this team next season. It's common sense, you don't keep any player on your bench for potentially every snap of the season making that much money, especially if the player is 37.

Romo is a top 10 QB, butler is not
QB is a way way way more important position than CB
By all accounts Romo is completely healthy and in the gym all the time with no permanent back or clavicle issues

It is not complicated

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I believe if we trade for Butler, we have to offer him a contract and Patriots will the right to match. He's not on a one year deal, he is a restricted free agent...the pick we have to give up for him is fixed and non negotiable.
That's only if you sign him as a restricted FA, not if NE willingly trades him.

robjay04

Reaction score
Romo is a top 10 QB, butler is not
QB is a way way way more important position than CB
By all accounts Romo is completely healthy and in the gym all the time with no permanent back or clavicle issues

It is not complicated

A 37 year old QB that hasn't played in two seasons and has suffered long injuries in 3 out of his last 4 games is in no way comparable to a young, pro bowl caliber corner.

Regardless, you are right it's not that complicated. Tony Romo is not going to be on this team next season, anyone who knows the NFL knows that. Jerry is trying to squeeze a trade out of him, I hope it works but I have doubted his trade value for months and nothing has changed my mind yet.

Get a third, I'm ecstatic and shocked but I'll settle for anything.