Malcolm Kelly declares

TVMan

Reaction score
[SIZE=+2]Oklahoma WR Malcolm Kelly to enter NFL draft

[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]12:20 AM CST on Friday, January 11, 2008

[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]By BRANDON GEORGE / The Dallas Morning News
bgeorge@***BANNED-URL***
[/SIZE] Oklahoma junior wide receiver Malcolm Kelly of Longview has decided to forgo his senior season and enter the NFL draft, the school announced Thursday.

Kelly (6-4, 219) filed paperwork with an NFL advisory committee in December to gauge when he might be selected. Kelly received a second-round grade, but several mock drafts list Kelly going late in the first round.

"I felt like the time was right to make this decision," Kelly said in a statement. "My family and I have talked it over for the last few days and decided this was the way to go. I've talked to a lot of guys who I trust who are playing in the NFL, and I value their input.

"OU and the coaches there gave me the best opportunity to reach the pro level. Going to OU was really the thing that put me in the position to be able to make this decision."

Kelly is the first OU junior to declare for the draft this season. Others are also seriously considering it, including All-American linebacker Curtis Lofton – the Big 12 defensive player of the year – All-American offensive lineman Duke Robinson and cornerback Reggie Smith. The deadline for early entry is Tuesday, but players who declare have until Friday to withdraw.

"We're excited for Malcolm and his family," OU coach Bob Stoops said. "He was an outstanding player in our program, and we appreciate all of his efforts. We look forward to watching him in the NFL. He is well-suited to professional football in many ways, and we are sure that the attributes that made him such a success for us will serve him equally well on that level."

Kelly averaged a team-best 16.8 yards per catch this season and was second on the team with 49 receptions for 821 yards and nine touchdowns. As a sophomore, he had 62 catches for 992 yards and 10 touchdowns. His 21 career touchdown catches ranks No. 2 at OU, behind Arlington Sam Houston-ex Mark Clayton.

Kelly had seven touchdown catches before Big 12 play this season. His production declined in conference games, when he was often double-teamed.

Kelly played only one series in OU's Fiesta Bowl loss to West Virginia because of a deep thigh bruise. Last year, he left OU's Fiesta Bowl loss to Boise State with a knee injury. He had surgery during the off-season on the knee.

Kelly totaled 144 catches for 2,285 yards in 38 games (33 starts) at OU. He was an All-Big 12 second-team selection by the coaches the last two seasons.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would love to have this guy on the team. He is a true playmaker.

Pokes28

Reaction score
I thought Mark Clayton would be a very good NFL WR too. But he's very mediocre. Kelly just doesn't excite me much.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Pokes28;1892963 said:
I thought Mark Clayton would be a very good NFL WR too. But he's very mediocre. Kelly just doesn't excite me much.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

Kelly is going to be a freaking stud at the pro level. He is 6-4, 220 lbs and has very good speed.

I watched several of Oklahoma's games this year and Kelly was double teamed constantly.

If we stay at #22 and dont trade up for McFadden, I would have this guys name already on the draft card.

TO, Glenn, Crayton, Witten, Hurd, and Kelly......WOW:D

marchetta

Reaction score
Pokes28;1892963 said:

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

Right on the nose! He's a poor man's Adarius Bowman (WR OSU). He and Adarius are the same size, however, many "experts" believe that Bowman has much more athletic ability and receiving skills. Kelly will drop to the mid/bottom of rd 2, so if we wanted a receiver with our 2nd rd pick, he could be there, but I'd pass on him. Kelly has nice size, but he has limited athletic ability, consequently, he'll have a low ceiling. I'd pass on Bowman too in the 1st round. He was suspended from college his Junior year when he tested positive for drugs. He had to sit out a year, so he transferred to OSU. He's been clean the last 2 years, but we can't go back to choosing players of questionable character, after we were burnt so badly in the past. Bowman may be off our draft board all-together, which sucks because he's such a talented WR. My motto is better to be safe than sorry, so I'd just pass on both these receivers. JMO.

FRDRCK

DeWare94
Reaction score
kelly has some of the best hands ive ever seen id love to see him on the cowboys

marchetta

Reaction score
DeWare94;1894059 said:
kelly has some of the best hands ive ever seen id love to see him on the cowboys

Yes, he does have great hands. He may have the best hands of any receiver WR this year.

Romo2Owens4six;1894062 said:
does anyone have a link on this guy

I had 3-4 links, but I can't find them in my "history." Weeks ago, I was looking for info for Bowman and 3-4 scouts compared Bowman to Kelly since they have the exact same size. 2-3 scouts stated that Bowman has much more athletic ability. Some of them compared Bowman to TO since they have identical size and athletic ability. When some of them talked about Kelly's attributes, they mentioned how good his hands were. I'd take Bowman, even with his baggage, ahead of Kelly. This is primarily based on what I've read about Kelly and what I've seen from Bowman in games. JMHO.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Kelly consistently got deep in college, he's not the fastest guy, more of a long strider

a poor man's Plaxico Burress? I'd definitely take him in the 2nd round

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1892050 said:
I would love to have this guy on the team. He is a true playmaker.

I hate admitting that I like any Sooner, but Kelly looks like he's gonna be a good one...

Naturally, I'm all in favor of anybody who's even semi-good and a Sooner leaving college early... :D

ayjackson

Reaction score
silverbear;1895911 said:
I hate admitting that I like any Sooner, but Kelly looks like he's gonna be a good one...

Naturally, I'm all in favor of anybody who's even semi-good and a Sooner leaving college early... :D

As a canuck, I'm not up on all my US College rivalries, but does that mean you're a college cowboy as well?

Who do you think will be the better pro, Bowman or Kelly?

Natedawg44

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1895876 said:
I don't like Oklahoma WR's in the NFL...

So you don't like Penn State RBs and would have passed on Larry Johnson or if Percy Harvin came out next year you wouldn't take him because he's a Florida WR?