Malik Collins to start on PUP list

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I guess it is like college. He was a dynamite freshman that exceeded expectations and had a bad sophomore year. As a good zealot, you should expect freshman year again.

It's like poker -- there's a time to hold 'em and a time to fold 'em. If it's not his foot, it's something else. Sorry but fool's gold just isn't for me.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
And just because someone aligns with a comment, it is not a complete endorsement. I did not address you directly, yet you took my comment to his post otherwise.

I guess that is just how things work these days.

Pick a side. Ignore the reason.

In fact, don't read. Just get mad.

Maliek may or may not get cut. I'm pretty sure the FO isn't going to do so if he shows any sign of healing but for how long is that likely to last? His history suggests it'll continue to be an issue with one thing or another. I'm not the one calling the shots, so we'll probably hang on to him until and as if there's no other choice to make.

Making timely decisions doesn't always seem to be in our wheelhouse but I'm willing to wait and see what happens with that being the case. Evidently, it'll be more of same until there's no other choice to be made but to cut him. We'll see.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
He'll start on pup... come in. If he re injures. Out. Plain and simple. Sux, but i think true.

Yep, that's evidently a very likely scenario from the looks of things. He'll either be back by the end of camp or sometime into the regular season to be stirred into the mix. Will it be as a one tech or three tech (where he obviously belongs) is yet another question. We'll see.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Actually bullflop seems on board with the concept of cutting Collins.

It's not my call, although I'm not about to demand he be cut when the FO isn't inclined to make sound decisions regarding DTs. Marinelli insists on playing Collins at 1-tech when he's obviously ill suited to fit in there. Jihad Ward might well replace him in the lineup anyway, so there's that as well.

The FO is apparently inclined to wait it out and stir Maliek into the mix at some point, whether it's at the end of camp or into the regular season. He'll likely get another opportunity to swim, sink or be injured and unavailable again. It's not ideal but it's a FO decision, not mine.

Marinelli won't be around forever. Next year it'll probably be up to Richard to call the shots for the DL anyway. Maybe he'll have a better feel for handling the DT position going forward. Perhaps we could all relax in the meantime and hope for the best.

Last edited:

BigD49

Reaction score
Meliek has been afforded the greatest optimism with each coming year of his being a candidate for excellence on the Dallas DL. In each of them, he's failed miserably to be available to render those opinions valid. Is this the year he's destined to be rejected by the Turk? Don't be surprised if it is.
By “each year” do you mean his first year where he was very promising and then his second year, where he was lackluster. Make it sound like the dude has been plodding along here for a decade

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
By “each year” do you mean his first year where he was very promising and then his second year, where he was lackluster. Make it sound like the dude has been plodding along here for a decade

He's had three foot injuries in three years time, so how promising is that?

This will be his third year and he'll probably be afforded another chance.

Not to worry, he'll be retained until he's unable to play, more than likely.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not my call, although I'm not about to demand he be cut when the FO isn't inclined to make sound decisions regarding DTs. Marinelli insists on playing Collins at 1-tech when he's obviously ill suited to fit in there.

So isn't this something to blame Marinelli for rather than hating on Collins for not being something he's not?

Jihad Ward might well replace him in the lineup anyway, so there's that as well.

I think people are getting ahead of themselves with this guy. He was overdrafted to begin with and has played poorly thus far in his pro career. I'll be happy if they've found guy who can make the team.

The FO is apparently inclined to wait it out and stir Maliek into the mix at some point, whether it's at the end of camp or into the regular season. He'll likely get another opportunity to swim, sink or be injured and unavailable again. It's not ideal but it's a FO decision, not mine.

Keep in mind that Collins has yet to be "unavailable" when it matters. He has played in every game since he was drafted.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CollMa00.htm

So despite the numerous foot injuries, he suits up and plays when the lights come on.

Marinelli won't be around forever. Next year it'll probably be up to Richard to call the shots for the DL anyway. Maybe he'll have a better feel for handling the DT position going forward. Perhaps we could all relax in the meantime and hope for the best.

I'm optimistic for that passing of the torch too. And for our 1-technique position to finally be valued. The Seahawks seemed to have a history of valuing the position when Richard was there.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Not a fan of how we've been "building" or DT's. I would be content getting a big fatty in the middle. It obviously hasn't been consistent how we've been doing it.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
s
So isn't this something to blame Marinelli for rather than hating on Collins for not being something he's not?

I think people are getting ahead of themselves with this guy. He was overdrafted to begin with and has played poorly thus far in his pro career. I'll be happy if they've found guy who can make the team.

Keep in mind that Collins has yet to be "unavailable" when it matters. He has played in every game since he was drafted.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CollMa00.htm

So despite the numerous foot injuries, he suits up and plays when the lights come on.

I'm optimistic for that passing of the torch too. And for our 1-technique position to finally be valued. The Seahawks seemed to have a history of valuing the position when Richard was there.

Fortunately, Maliek's injuries all came during the offseason. The first time was just before his rookie year in camp and the second time was in the offseason during practice, as I recall. So yes, he's been fortunate enough for it to happen outside of the regular season. It surely wasn't my intention to "hate" on the guy for his injuries.

Unfortunately, I got caught up in the angst of the moment with all the bickering that ensued. Upon due reflection, I realized that there were circumstances beyond his control that entered into the picture. My apologies. I jumped the gun with some of my comments about his being finished when he's likely to get another chance, if it's in the cards.

Like I've said, the FO calls the shots and they appear inclined to keep him in the hopes he'll coma around. Whether he does or not remains to be seen. Let's see what happens, assuming he's able to respond "when the lights come on." Yet, he's not a lock to be available for week one. We'll see.

As for the passing of the torch with Kris Richard, hopefully the DT position won't be placed in such awkward positions with his guidance. I hope so but that remains to be seen as well.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fortunately, Maliek's injuries all came during the offseason. The first time was just before his rookie year in camp and the second time was in the offseason during practice, as I recall. So yes, he's been fortunate enough for it to happen outside of the regular season. It surely wasn't my intention to "hate" on the guy for his injuries.

Unfortunately, I got caught up in the angst of the moment with all the bickering that ensued. Upon due reflection, I realized that there were circumstances beyond his control that entered into the picture. My apologies. I jumped the gun with some of my comments about his being finished when he's likely to get another chance, if it's in the cards.

Like I've said, the FO calls the shots and they appear inclined to keep him in the hopes he'll coma around. Whether he does or not remains to be seen. Let's see what happens, assuming he's able to respond "when the lights come on." We'll see.

As for the passing of the torch with Richard, hopefully the DT position won't be placed in such an awkward positions with his guidance.

Fair enough. It did seem to be a bit out of character for you to be so worked up and "anti-Collins" in this thread.

I have a certain measure of favorable bias towards Collins and I'll admit as much. His rookie year impressed me a great deal, when he and Terrell McClain anchored the inside of the Cowboys defensive line and they finished ranked #1 against the run. And he also had a better than expected pass rush presence with 5 sacks I think. I went and looked it up and his rookie year was more productive than Warren Sapp's in Tampa Bay. Based on that, my expectations for 2017 were very high and I was disappointed it didn't happen as well.

I don't think the team did him any favors with who they lined up next to him, and then in moving him to 1-technique after Paea's retirement and Price's injury. He's simply not that kind of defensive tackle.

I hope they've figured out his foot issues (like I've heard they have) and that he can start the season healthy and ready to go. If he can play the year at 3-technique healthy, we can finally have an accurate appraisal of the kind of player he truly is.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Fair enough. It did seem to be a bit out of character for you to be so worked up and "anti-Collins" in this thread.

I have a certain measure of favorable bias towards Collins and I'll admit as much. His rookie year impressed me a great deal, when he and Terrell McClain anchored the inside of the Cowboys defensive line and they finished ranked #1 against the run. And he also had a better than expected pass rush presence with 5 sacks I think. I went and looked it up and his rookie year was more productive than Warren Sapp's in Tampa Bay. Based on that, my expectations for 2017 were very high and I was disappointed it didn't happen as well.

I don't think the team did him any favors with who they lined up next to him, and then in moving him to 1-technique after Paea's retirement and Price's injury. He's simply not that kind of defensive tackle.

I hope they've figured out his foot issues (like I've heard they have) and that he can start the season healthy and ready to go. If he can play the year at 3-technique healthy, we can finally have an accurate appraisal of the kind of player he truly is.

Yes, admittedly, it was out of character for me . . . likely one drink too many. Here's hoping the third time around is a charm for Maliek and his pinky toe. Playing out of position surely does him no favors, although I'm unsure if Marinelli will see fit to correct it. Put him at 3 tech where he belongs and it might be a different story. Let's hope so, anyhow.

It's a struggle for one his size to contend with bigger O-linemen to plug the run at 1 tech. I was disappointed when we didn't lock up Terrell McClain in the offseason. He likely would have aided our cause at DT. Let's see if what we have is able to get the job done to start the season. The first 4 weeks may be difficult with Irvin on suspension. I'm hoping Brian Price might find a way to step up his game then.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, admittedly, it was out of character for me . . . likely one drink too many. Here's hoping the third time around is a charm for Maliek and his pinky toe. Playing out of position surely does him no favors, although I'm unsure if Marinelli will see fit to correct it. Put him at 3 tech where he belongs and it might be a different story. It's a struggle for one his size to contend with bigger O-linemen to plug the run at 1 tech. I was disappointed when we didn't lock up Terrell McClain in the offseason. He likely would have aided our cause at DT. Let's see if what we have is able to get the job done to start the season. The first 4 weeks may be difficult with Irvin on suspension. I'm hoping Brian Price might find a way to step up his game.

I definitely agree on where he needs to play. Stop any nonsensical talk about Collins playing the 1-technique. Its as absurd as any talk of Tyrone Crawford at right defensive end. You may as well just start each game spotting the opponent 7 points because you're doing half of their job for them, playing guys in positions they're unsuited for.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I definitely agree on where he needs to play. Stop any nonsensical talk about Collins playing the 1-technique. Its as absurd as any talk of Tyrone Crawford at right defensive end. You may as well just start each game spotting the opponent 7 points because you're doing half of their job for them, playing guys in positions they're unsuited for.

Seems like Marinelli got the FO in a mode of ignoring the interior DL. Maybe they were figuring he's a cure-all for their interior DL neglectfulness. Here's hoping the FO sees fit to stabilize the DT position with someone better suited to man one tech duties next year or perhaps even sooner (after the final cuts, perhaps?) Hopefully, we'll get relief at DT of some sort, eventually.

cern

Reaction score
As expected. I'm just concerned his foot injuries are chronic.
it was explained in another article that certain linemen chose shoes known more for comfort than support and that was the cause of so many foot injuries in dallas. supposedly that will change with different shoes. I hope it's as simple as that.

exciter

Reaction score
Plantar fasciitis is a painful inflammatory condition of the connective tissue between the heel and the distal metatarsal heads.

Pain that is limited to the heel is most likely due to calicication at the insertion of the connective tissue on the calcaneus, known as a heel spur.
Yeah and if you have ever had it, it feels like walking with a roofing tack driven into your heel for 6 months!