Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I found this amusing...[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Man roughed up in apparent 'golf rage'[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Canadian Press
Jul. 13, 2005 10:21 AM

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]CALGARY - Calgary police are on the hunt for suspects after a relaxing morning on the links turned into a full-out brawl when teed-off golfers turned on each other.

"I haven't encountered anything like golf rage in the 5 1/2 years I've been on the job," Const. Stephen Johnston said Tuesday. "You don't think of golf as a contact sport."

The incident happened on the weekend when four golfers were playing at the McCall Lake course on the ninth hole. advertisement
clear.gif
OAS_AD('BoxAd')http://q.azcentral.com/RealMedia/ad...0x250new.gif/34343631303165663432363931663430
clear.gif

Two members of the group shot ahead onto the 10th hole, near the group playing ahead of them.

"The other group took some exception to that and waited for them at the 10th hole tee box," Johnston said.

Three of the trailing foursome went to get some refreshments and a lone golfer continued on to the 10th hole, where the other group was waiting.

"A verbal argument ensued and two of the four in the offending group started striking the victim repeatedly," the officer said. "The victim didn't even have a chance to fight back."

One twisted the man's arm, dislocating his shoulder, and gave him a bloody nose and a cut to the lip, which required 10 stitches.

Johnston said police have some strong leads and charges are pending.

The incident took place less than a month after the golf course's safety and etiquette week. :eek:: [/font]
[/font]

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the whole thing was spurred on by Johnny Knoxville hiding in the bushes and using an airhorn before they were teeing off. :p:

Hoov

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I think the whole thing was spurred on by Johnny Knoxville hiding in the bushes and using an airhorn before they were teeing off. :p:

I loved that. I laughed so hard when i watched them do that.

A lot of people have tried to get me into golf, I really suck but i always laugh at how serious some people get.

One time i was playing from the rough and there was a neighborhood or devlopment with houses right alongside some of the fairways. So im in the rough but its sort of like this guys backyard, swing and miss, swing and miss, turf is flying in the air, im laughing cause its a little embarrasing and my friends giving me hell.

Suddenly i hear this guy screaming at me, "yo arsehole, think you can leave some of the grass there or are you gonna tear it all up" so i said sorry and he goes "yeah your sorry, thats why your laughing, why dont you just pick the ball up and take it with you and get the hell away from my house jackarse".
I took another swing and missed again, he looked really pissed so i did just pick up the ball and walk to the next hole.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hoov said:

A lot of people have tried to get me into golf, I really suck but i always laugh at how serious some people get.

One time i was playing from the rough and there was a neighborhood or devlopment with houses right alongside some of the fairways. So im in the rough but its sort of like this guys backyard, swing and miss, swing and miss, turf is flying in the air, im laughing cause its a little embarrasing and my friends giving me hell.

Suddenly i hear this guy screaming at me, "yo arsehole, think you can leave some of the grass there or are you gonna tear it all up" so i said sorry and he goes "yeah your sorry, thats why your laughing, why dont you just pick the ball up and take it with you and get the hell away from my house jackarse".
I took another swing and missed again, he looked really pissed so i did just pick up the ball and walk to the next hole.

LOL....so they call you the farmer eh?....cause your digging up dirt all day. :p:

Hoov

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
LOL....so they call you the farmer eh?....cause your digging up dirt all day. :p:

yeah, and ive actually struck out teeing off

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Obviously these guys over-reacted, but I can tell you that NOTHING makes me madder on the golf course than to have the group behind us hit into us...

Hoov

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Obviously these guys over-reacted, but I can tell you that NOTHING makes me madder on the golf course than to have the group behind us hit into us...

I could see how that could be very annoying.

Trick, once when i was like 13 i hit someone with a golfball. i was with this friend of my parents, he was trying to teach me....so he tells me go ahaead and hit, i was like no there's still people down there (i was uphill and about 150 feet away), and he told me "you'll never hit it that far, dont worry.

So i lined up and took a nice easy swing (i usually try to kill the ball) but guess i hit it just right cause it sailed all the way to the green and hit this dude right in the calf, as the ball hit him his calf his leg gave out. He stood up and turned toward us cursing up a storm and this dude was like a huge muscle guy bodybuilder type, so i dropped the club and was getting ready to run.

After he saw i was just a kid he calmed down a little and my friend apologized and told him he didnt think i could hit it that far and that he told me to go ahead and play. Its kind of funny when i look back now cause no one got hurt bad or anything, but i never hit again till people were on to the next hole.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
trickblue said:

I've hit into people plenty of times, usually on the green on a par 5 because they can't get hurt and it usually means letting us through. Depending on the circumstances, nothing makes me madder than slow play. That 4 footer isn't for the US Open just finish it out and get moving.

joseephuss

Reaction score
trickblue said:

I played one day and the group behind us hit into my group 5 times. It was a very slow paced day. We had to wait on the group in front of us and they waited on the group in front of them and so on and so on. It is frustrating when the pace is very slow, but we were all in the same boat. My group finally got tired of being hit into, so when they did it a sixth time(this was about hole 16), we just watched as they got in their carts taking their eyes off where they figured they hit, we kicked their balls out of bounds. They didn't approach us or anything, which probably was for the best.

trickblue

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
I played one day and the group behind us hit into my group 5 times. It was a very slow paced day. We had to wait on the group in front of us and they waited on the group in front of them and so on and so on. It is frustrating when the pace is very slow, but we were all in the same boat. My group finally got tired of being hit into, so when they did it a sixth time(this was about hole 16), we just watched as they got in their carts taking their eyes off where they figured they hit, we kicked their balls out of bounds. They didn't approach us or anything, which probably was for the best.

When the course is clear I am a 3-hour player... and I am not gonna let anyone play through when there are 10 groups ahead of me...

If it happens multiple times to me I usually pull out the appropriate stick and hit it back... ;)

Hoov

Reaction score
trickblue said:
When the course is clear I am a 3-hour player... and I am not gonna let anyone play through when there are 10 groups ahead of me...

If it happens multiple times to me I usually pull out the appropriate stick and hit it back... ;)

That must cause some reaction, what do people do ? i bet you got a good story you could tell us

trickblue

Reaction score
Hoov said:
That must cause some reaction, what do people do ? i bet you got a good story you could tell us

I was playing at Oak Grove one day with 3 friends when this ball came sailing in on the green about 2 yards from one of us...

We ignored it as anyone can make a mistake...

The next hole has water and I layed up short of the water to get a nice approach shot in (I put too many in there not to lay up)... my buddies had been about 40 yards behind me and had all hit up on the green. I am standing there gauging my shot when I hear a thud about 20 feet from me... I flinch and immediately look back then another comes in about 10 feet in front on me...

I give them my best "damn Commander fan" look walk back to my bag and take out a 3 iron. I backed the ball up in my stance so it will stay low and knock the fire out of the ball...

It was like a low-flying missle and when they realized it was coming at them they hit the ground. I then walked over and picked up the other ball and threw it in the drink.

By then my buddies realized what was happening and had come back around.

We waited a good 10 minutes for them to drive to us but they just sat there. We decided not to drive back and start anything unneccessary. They got the message...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Hoov said:

I had this one day when I was in a group that was being followed by this jagoff who kept hitting into us... understand that we weren't lagging behind the group ahead of us, the course was just congested and the pace of play was pretty slow... well, after the second time the ball came rolling up on the green while we were putting out, I waited for the guy and suggested, ever so politely, that what he was doing was quite dangerous...

The very next hole, a par shot par 5, I'm about 225 yards from the green, with a 3 iron in my hand, waiting for the group ahead of me to clear the green to try to knock it on in 2... visions of eagles dancing in my head... sure enough, the impatient jagoff in question hit into us yet again, the ball rolling to a stop maybe 10 feet from where I was standing... I got pissed, and glared back at the offender, who flipped me off...

So I walked over to his ball, and rifled the ball back at him with that 3 iron... the guy came rushing up all apoplectic, waving his arms and cussing and screaming... I told him to come a little closer, and I'd be happy to feed him that 3 iron... he stopped short, figuring I was probably serious, and I told him that he WOULD stop that crap, or face the consequences...

"Who the *@!* do you think you are??", he asked...

"Well, I THINK I'm the golf pro at this club, which means as far as you're concerned, I sit at the right hand of God; now, do you want to finish your round of golf, or do you want to be thrown off the course, and banned from ever returning??"

That seemed to solve the problem... :D

trickblue

Reaction score
silverbear said:
I had this one day when I was in a group that was being followed by this jagoff who kept hitting into us... understand that we weren't lagging behind the group ahead of us, the course was just congested and the pace of play was pretty slow... well, after the second time the ball came rolling up on the green while we were putting out, I waited for the guy and suggested, ever so politely, that what he was doing was quite dangerous...

The very next hole, a par shot par 5, I'm about 225 yards from the green, with a 3 iron in my hand, waiting for the group ahead of me to clear the green to try to knock it on in 2... visions of eagles dancing in my head... sure enough, the impatient jagoff in question hit into us yet again, the ball rolling to a stop maybe 10 feet from where I was standing... I got pissed, and glared back at the offender, who flipped me off...

So I walked over to his ball, and rifled the ball back at him with that 3 iron... the guy came rushing up all apoplectic, waving his arms and cussing and screaming... I told him to come a little closer, and I'd be happy to feed him that 3 iron... he stopped short, figuring I was probably serious, and I told him that he WOULD stop that crap, or face the consequences...

"Who the *@!* do you think you are??", he asked...

"Well, I THINK I'm the golf pro at this club, which means as far as you're concerned, I sit at the right hand of God; now, do you want to finish your round of golf, or do you want to be thrown off the course, and banned from ever returning??"

That seemed to solve the problem... :D

Funny stuff SB... sounds like you and I would be pelting the impatient bastids back with low flying 3 irons... good stuff... :D

silverbear

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
I've hit into people plenty of times, usually on the green on a par 5 because they can't get hurt and it usually means letting us through.

If you'd done that to me, it would ensure that you'd NEVER get to play through... not only is it profoundly ignorant, you put people's lives at risk...

I get frustrated with slow play too, but I will never, ever make an approach shot to a green if there's even a possibility that my best shot will get me home in two...

Perhaps if you'd ever been hit by a golf ball, you'd understand just how wrong you are... I have banned people from ever playing my course again, with the full support of the owner of the course, for doing what you advocate...

silverbear

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Funny stuff SB... sounds like you and I would be pelting the impatient bastids back with low flying 3 irons... good stuff... :D

Naw, they weren't in any danger... remember, the guy had hit a driver off the tee, and while he wasn't a long-knocker, it was out about 250-260... I can't hit a 3 iron much more than about 230 max...

If there had been any chance I could have hit it to them, I would have passed on the pleasure afforded by my little retaliation... people can and have gotten killed that way... I've personally had a rib broken, though it wasn't actually on the course... we were having this corporate type golf tournament, and I was working the scoreboard... off to the right of the scoreboard was this net for hitting balls into (that course didn't have a driving range)... this one hacker was bangin' balls into the net, until he shanked one, and it smacked off the back of the scoreboard... missed that net entirely, and he wasn't ten feet away from it...

I thought he'd figure out that maybe he should stop hittin' balls, but NOOOOOOO... just as I sat down and grabbed a cup of lemonade, here came another shank, only lower than the last one... caught me in the ribcage, knocked me *** over teakettle, and I got a lemonade shower... not knowing I was hurt, I jumped up and read that fool the riot act...

My Dad once had a small bone in his wrist broken, but that one was a pure accident... he had gone out with a cart and a tow bar to bring a broken-down cart in, and came around the corner of this dogleg on the way back to the clubhouse, and some poor guy's shot caught him on the hand he had on the steering wheel of the cart...

Yes, friends and neighbors, gettin' hit by a flying golf projectile HURTS like a mother...

trickblue

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Naw, they weren't in any danger... remember, the guy had hit a driver off the tee, and while he wasn't a long-knocker, it was out about 250-260... I can't hit a 3 iron much more than about 230 max...

If there had been any chance I could have hit it to them, I would have passed on the pleasure afforded by my little retaliation... people can and have gotten killed that way... I've personally had a rib broken, though it wasn't actually on the course... we were having this corporate type golf tournament, and I was working the scoreboard... off to the right of the scoreboard was this net for hitting balls into (that course didn't have a driving range)... this one hacker was bangin' balls into the net, until he shanked one, and it smacked off the back of the scoreboard... missed that net entirely, and he wasn't ten feet away from it...

I thought he'd figure out that maybe he should stop hittin' balls, but NOOOOOOO... just as I sat down and grabbed a cup of lemonade, here came another shank, only lower than the last one... caught me in the ribcage, knocked me *** over teakettle, and I got a lemonade shower... not knowing I was hurt, I jumped up and read that fool the riot act...

My Dad once had a small bone in his wrist broken, but that one was a pure accident... he had gone out with a cart and a tow bar to bring a broken-down cart in, and came around the corner of this dogleg on the way back to the clubhouse, and some poor guy's shot caught him on the hand he had on the steering wheel of the cart...

Yes, friends and neighbors, gettin' hit by a flying golf projectile HURTS like a mother...

Sounds like you hit a 3 about like me... although I can hit it a bit further when I connect right...

I never want to hurt anyone... and hitting fairway shots at someone is not to awfully dangerous... but when you are near to an approach shot... aim is key and I play with a few guys that are dead on...

Yes... a golf ball hurts like holy hell... been there...

Most of us play on weekends... never understood the "hitting in to the ahead party" as most courses are stacked up...

My favorite story in that respect:

few years ago at a PGA tourney, John Daly was continually hitting into the Paul Azinger bunch ahead of him...

The caddy was getting pissed (you know how Daley can be)... well... on 17 he hit into them again and the caddy yelled... "What's a matter Daley... can't shoot 80 fast enough?"

Gold, Jerry... GOLD!!!