Manny Lawson "the freak"

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I think Lawson is a heck of a talent and I think he'd make the Dallas pass rush deadly.
But I see him as more of a weak-side player.
I just can't envision Lawson punching offensive linemen in the mouth (although, he has long arms and is supposed to be very strong). Now, if Lawson is the choice, I can see Ware on the strong side.
He has all the tools.

Our defense really needs that one last peice and I think BP is foaming at the mouth at the LB talent this year. Good OLBs are hard to come by and I think BP slam dunked on Ware.

The one position I trust BP to get right is LB.
He wanted Merriman last season and look what happened.
We got Ware and look what happened.
His track record with LBs speaks for itself. However, I have a funny feeling that when our pick comes, Carpenter, Greenway , Thomas and maybe, just maybe, Lawson, will be on the board as well.
Which makes for nice trade down situation.

Either way, this draft is really good for us. Plenty of good linebackers and OT's. A couple decent guard prospects too.

I see us getting Carpenter though, provided his stock doesn't go up after the combine

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
fishspill said:
The site I refer to for Combine stuff shows Thomas Howard of UTEP also ran a 1.53 10-yard. Seems to be a Lawson doppleganger. Either is swell by me.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/nflcombinebypos.php?draftyear=2006&GenPos=OLB&sortorder=LastName&order=ASC

Thomas Howard is a 1st class talent and I mean 1st class. He actually has Lawson beat with the 40 time and ties him in burst, the only place Lawson has him is in Bench Press and quickness/mobility. So with that being said, if we had to pass on Lawson, and Howard or Carpenter was the guy, I would pull the trigger. Howard put up better tackle numbers than Carpenter with 85, but Carpenter put up better sack numbers. That may be because they didn't have Howard rushing the passer more, but it's time to do some serious research on Howard.

I'll be back with you ladies and gentlemen. :)

Bobo

Reaction score
From what I saw of Howard, his play left a lot to be desried from such an athletic freak.

Someone said Lawson only has one rush move. People have said that was a shortcoming of Kearse too. Kearse was something like 245 when drafted. They may be picked around the same time....these guys are sounding earily similar.

K-DOGG

Reaction score
I would love to see Lawson at the 18th pick, but I think he will be long gone!!!!:banghead:

Reaction score
Naa I think Manny Lawson will be there at 18 but the question is whether or not that's too high to take him.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say, since I started the Lawson Bandwagon, but I think Cleveland takes him at 12

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
cowboyjoe said:
but I have heard, that he only has one pass rush move. Even Many Lawson said he only had one pass rush move. So, I think with that, his smallish size as DE, along with not playing hardly any at linebacker. Is causing him to fall some.

this is the only knock I found in your post, you can teach pass-rush moves, you can't however, teach Lawson's freakish size, speed, burst and agility skills, so he'll go top 15, to Cleveland at 12 IMO

FYI, he switched to DE from OLB after his Junior year, so he has experience turning and running with TEs and RBS in coverage from the OLB position

neosapien23

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I'm sorry to say, since I started the Lawson Bandwagon, but I think Cleveland takes him at 12

Yeah I think he will be gone too. If Cleveland pass up on him for Ngata or Mario Williams, than the Dolphins will snag him.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
this is the only knock I found in your post, you can teach pass-rush moves, you can't however, teach Lawson's freakish size, speed, burst and agility skills, so he'll go top 15, to Cleveland at 12 IMO

FYI, he switched to DE from OLB after his Junior year, so he has experience turning and running with TEs and RBS in coverage from the OLB position
We have cross our fingers that Ngata falls to Cleveland. If that happens, then Lawson keeps falling to us. If we don't pick him, he doesn't get past New England since McGinest left town.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
Never heard of him or saw him play and no he is not shooting up draft boards and no we don't need a LB in the 1st we have 4 starting young LBs....

We need a young ballhawk Safety or a WR in the 1st or even trade down there is alot of depht in this draft, especially when u have RODERICK WRIGHT falling into the 3rd round....

I like proven players that perform not skyrocket for no reason, a combine, lol everyplayer does good at the combine most of the times, I like performance!!!!!

Give me Simpson, Allen, Wright, Jackson, Holmes, Mcniel... just one of those players and I'll be happy

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
We have cross our fingers that Ngata falls to Cleveland. If that happens, then Lawson keeps falling to us. If we don't pick him, he doesn't get past New England since McGinest left town.

we also have to think about it being a strong possibility that we trade down from 18, even with Lawson on the board at 18, there's alot of quality OLB prospects, that I don't think it would preclude Dallas from trading down if he's there, bringing the whole depth of the draft class into the equation

AbeBeta

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
we also have to think about it being a strong possibility that we trade down from 18, even with Lawson on the board at 18, there's alot of quality OLB prospects, that I don't think it would preclude Dallas from trading down if he's there, bringing the whole depth of the draft class into the equation

I like Lawson but I think he's a reach at #18. Love to see us drop back and get that 4th back.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Q_the_man said:
Never heard of him or saw him play and no he is not shooting up draft boards and no we don't need a LB in the 1st we have 4 starting young LBs....

We need a young ballhawk Safety or a WR in the 1st or even trade down there is alot of depht in this draft, especially when u have RODERICK WRIGHT falling into the 3rd round....

I like proven players that perform not skyrocket for no reason, a combine, lol everyplayer does good at the combine most of the times, I like performance!!!!!

Give me Simpson, Allen, Wright, Jackson, Holmes, Mcniel... just one of those players and I'll be happy
I wouldn't be sad over any of those except Wright. I don't think he fits the 3-4 personally.