Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend is a Hoax *Merge*

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Joshmil53;4969495 said:
If he was covering his sexuality why would he say she died? Excuse to not date anyone else?

Pretty much. She was ill so of course, couldn't be seen with him. Sooner or later, that doesn't hold water so oops, she is dead.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
This is Manti's video he dedicated to Lennay:
go to youtube and use keywords Kamal Haasan and Tamil Bollywood Star. It is such a swell video

crazytown41

Reaction score
He just released a statement saying he was a victim and was duped.

I don't know. There's a lot of evidence from what he and his family said that make it hard to believe he wasn't in on it.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Comments I have heard while listening to sports radio:

"Lance Armstrong says thank you Manti."

"Chicago Bears are glad no one is talking about them hiring Mark Trestman."

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
joseephuss;4969528 said:
Comments I have heard while listening to sports radio:

"Lance Armstrong says thank you Manti."

"Chicago Bears are glad no one is talking about them hiring Mark Trestman."

Lol, that sounds like the old line

Who was the one American happy that planes blew up the World Trade Center, Gary Condit!

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
crazytown41;4969523 said:
He just released a statement saying he was a victim and was duped.

I don't know. There's a lot of evidence from what he and his family said that make it hard to believe he wasn't in on it.

Yeah after reading those quotes from his dad about them meeting in Hawaii there was no way he and his family weren't in on it.

:lmao2: at the being duped excuse.

I haven't had a laugh this good from a football story since the viking's love boat scandal.

gmb85

Reaction score
This story is just damn distraction from more important matters. :rolleyes:

cajuncocoa

✮ ✮ ✮ ✮ ✮
Reaction score
I'm not vouching for this guy's character, but I can vouch for the fact that these kinds of Internet hoaxes do happen.

My husband and I used to play Farmville on Facebook, and among the FV "neighbors" we had was a very nice young girl (ironically, also from Hawaii as is Te'o). Most people who are FV "neighbors" just stick to FB posts about the game, but this young lady would comment and "like" other things that I posted...she even claimed to be a Dallas Cowboys' fan after I posted something about the Cowboys last year. In short, she became sort of an online friend than just someone who played Farmville. We stayed friends on FB even after I stopped playing FV.

In September of last year she started talking about an upcoming hospital stay and that she wasn't looking forward to it. The day before she was supposed to go into the hospital was the last time she was heard from. Since then, many of her FB friends posted well wishes and concerns on her wall...all going unanswered. Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago....someone suggested that perhaps her whole profile was just a hoax. I was one of the ones who didn't want to believe it, but it turns out that NO ONE on her Facebook friends' list had ever met her in person. This young lady built an entire profile for herself, complete with a boyfriend who was in the military and who took her on some very nice romantic dates (according to the stories she posted), she was a surfer (posted BEAUTIFUL pics of the Hawaiian beaches), and a wonderful cook (pics that would make Martha Stewart drool). All fake. One of her mutual "friends" told us about a site where you can find out the source of pics that are posted on the Internet...turned out, all of her pics were stock photos.

newlander

Reaction score
JoeyBoy718;4969414 said:
I read the whole thing in ********. Either 1) He lied about having met her because he was embarrassed and he carried on a relationship via text only with someone who he thought was a real girl but turned out to be one of his best (guy) friends, or 2) he and his guy friend and probably some other people concocted this whole story to gain sympathy and recognition.

.......he's lying and it's so pathetic. The ND athletic Director, Jack Swarbrick has a PRESS CONFERENCE at 8EST about this debacle. Be careful what ole' slick Jack says though: he has a history of being less than truthful himself.

Tweet of the CENTURY on this came from Clowney of S.Carolina:

@JadeveonClowny: You wanna know what's weirder than Manti Teo making up a girlfriend then pretend killing her? Nothing:lmao2:

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
UPDATE: Here is Te'o's statement, that was first published by ESPN.com:

"This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her. To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating. It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life. I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been. In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was. Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft."

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Manti Te'o is as gay as the day is long. It's the only explanation.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Wait, now he's saying "she didn't exist." I don't get it. If you were truly duped, you would still believe she existed. Saying "she didn't exist" makes it sound like he always knew that.

Nirvana

Reaction score
This story is just going to gather steam with his further BS, this guy sounds like a sociopath at this point. Stay away Cowboys!

Nirvana

Reaction score
darren rovell ‏@darrenrovell
NFL player marketing agent: Te'o will lose $350K to $500K in pre-draft marketing deals. "His brand just took a dive."

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LatinMind;4969387 said:
Te'o was fooled by his friend.

If he was fooled by his friend then that has to mean he met the lady in the pic that was used and she was part of the scam.

Not sure I buy that.

This has to be one of the strangest stories I've ever read.

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
newlander;4969570 said:
.......he's lying and it's so pathetic. The ND athletic Director, Jack Swarbrick has a PRESS CONFERENCE at 8EST about this debacle. Be careful what ole' slick Jack says though: he has a history of being less than truthful himself.

Tweet of the CENTURY on this came from Clowney of S.Carolina:

@JadeveonClowny: You wanna know what's weirder than Manti Teo making up a girlfriend then pretend killing her? Nothing:lmao2:

lol

That clowny is a funny guy

I can't believe hes trying to say he was "duped". What a load.