*****Marco Columbo Thread*****

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Because he's a former BC Eagle, I sorta keep tabs on him..I think Marc just never recoved from his knee cap dislocation - but I don't know if it was strength or agility that he lost, or both.

He sure had everything it took to be sucessful at LT if not for that injury. Tremendous work ethic and smart.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
My buddy from Chicago said he was a very good team player who just got hurt and had to be released for cap purposes. He was a good player when healthy.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LaTunaNostra said:
Because he's a former BC Eagle, I sorta keep tabs on him..I think Marc just never recoved from his knee cap dislocation - but I don't know if it was strength or agility that he lost, or both.

He sure had everything it took to be sucessful at LT if not for that injury. Tremendous work ethic and smart.

BC seems to find quality Oline men...not sure if it is their scouting department or coaches but they normally have very good linemen.

MissionCoach

Reaction score
This is what I could find out about Marc Columbo...

Bears Release Columbo

The Bears released Jerry Angelo's first Bears draft pick today, 2002 First Rounder Marc Columbo. Well I guess that closes the book on him, he's officially a bust. He really never did anything for the Bears. He played a few games, then got hurt, and missed two years. He came back late last year, played sparingly, blocked a Field Goal, and thats it. I heard he was a hard worker; and to come back from the injury he had, he must have been. Nevertheless, he's still a major bust. He's now nothing more than the answer to a trivia question.

Draft Bunders - Drafts Marc Columbo with our first round pick. Considered a second round prospect by draft experts. The same draft experts who appear correct in their analysis that Columbo needed to add strength in order to compete at the NFL level. Columbo was not durable enough to last more than five starts in the NFL. What might have been? RB Clinton Portis.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Jarv said:
Marc Columbo a former 2002 1st round pick ? What happened to his career ?

he's been pretty much decimated by injuries his whole career

David

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Columbo suffered a knee injury his rookie year and it took him out for almost 2 years. He was a project when he was drafted in the first round and many thought he was a reach.

If they sign him and can get anything out of Columbo, that would be one incredible coaching job.

They are scraping the bottom of the barrel to say the least.

Rich.....

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You guys have to remember...just because they are looking at columbo...and even if they sign him....it does not mean they are doing so with the intent to throw him into the starting job.

Tucker was the depth at OT...now with one starter down we have Rob and Tucker but no depth.

So just keep it in the back of your mind that the person that may be signed....is probably for depth at this point.

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
Hey aren't we a team of projects, name one that isn't, I mean starting with Bledsoe, Key, Glenn, A-train, Petitti, there's more than a few on the other side--Canty for instance. Everybody has baggage, maybe this guy needs another chance..

KingTuna

Reaction score
Angelo, Smith reflect on Colombo's departure
By Larry Mayer
September 14, 2005

LAKE FOREST, Ill. - The decision to release offensive tackle Marc Colombo Tuesday was a very difficult one for general manager Jerry Angelo and the rest of the Bears organization.

The 2002 first-round draft pick from Boston College had valiantly battled his way back from a devastating knee injury that had sidelined him for nearly two years.

Marc Colombo played in the final eight games last season after missing nearly two years with a dislocated left knee.
"Unfortunately, it's just part of the business," Angelo said after practice Wednesday at Halas Hall.

"Given Marc's situation-he had a horrific injury-for really a good two and a half years, to watch his dedication and his work ethic ... having to do what we did was very, very tough."

"It was very hard," concurred coach Lovie Smith. "It hurt quite a bit. You just think about what Marc Colombo has gone through since he's been here-the tough injury, the rehab-to get himself in position to try and perform at a certain level. That's tough.

"Personally, it hurt when you tell a player his dream has been stopped for a while. But we had to do what was best for our football team and we felt like this was what was best at this time and hopefully it will work out for Marc too. He's released early enough where hopefully he can get on with another team and start that dream back up."

Colombo was released so the Bears could sign offensive tackle John St. Clair, who started all 16 games for the St. Louis Rams in 2002 when Smith was the team's defensive coordinator.

"I thought (St. Clair) showed up for work each day," Smith said. "He's a hard worker with good ability; a good teammate to the rest of the guys. I think he can play and he can help us. We just felt like we upgraded the position when we had an opportunity to bring him in."

"It was a matter of another player in John St. Clair that we felt was a better player in his role," Angelo said. "Really it came down to that. It wasn't that we were dissatisfied with Marc.

"We liked this other player better and any time you have an opportunity to upgrade your roster irrelevant to whether he's a backup or a starter, we're going to look at that very seriously and that was the case."

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=10761

Eddie

Reaction score
So what's the dealio with Columbo? Is he in or is he out?

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
BARRYRAY said:
Hey aren't we a team of projects, name one that isn't, I mean starting with Bledsoe, Key, Glenn, A-train, Petitti, there's more than a few on the other side--Canty for instance. Everybody has baggage, maybe this guy needs another chance..

BARRYRAY, Bledsoe, Key and Glenn are not projects. They were all established players well before the Cowboys got them. They could be viewed as risks when we signed them, but not projects.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
To all my old timer friends when I hear Marc Columbo thread I cannot help but to be reminded of Peter Falk...and LT....LOL

Sweet Memories....:p:

columbo1.jpg

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
ROYDESTROY said:
To all my old timer friends when I hear Marc Columbo thread I cannot help but to be reminded of Peter Falk...and LT....LOL

Sweet Memories....:p:

columbo1.jpg
Good one bring on the detective