Marcus Davenport

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Davenport is an exciting but high risk pick.

Pro
  • Quick and very strong.
  • Plays with good leverage despite being 6-6.
  • Was not lost against big school Baylor.
Con
  • Raw
  • Wins many snaps with power which won't happen often in the NFL.
  • Wins in more straight line-ish fashion than bend around the corner.

His ability to play low despite height reminds me of David Irving.

Overall he reminds me of Ziggy Ansah in college.

The interview is much more important for some players than others. I can see a player like Calvin Ridley on the field and know that he understands football fairly well. For a player like Davenport to be a first round pick, a team needs to have a good feeling about his ability to understand an NFL scheme and needs to know he has the required intensity to overcome his limited to non-existant experience against NFL type talent. I think a 5 minute conversation with DWare would have been all that was needed to know he had the correct mental-makeup.

I would take him over Harold Landry but I'm not 100% comfortable drafting either at #19.

Gaede

Reaction score
I like Ridley, but I really want DL with this pick. Davenport, Landry, Payne, Vea...I am good with all of the above

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Davenport is an exciting but high risk pick.

Pro
  • Quick and very strong.
  • Plays with good leverage despite being 6-6.
  • Was not lost against big school Baylor.

I would take him over Harold Landry but I'm not 100% comfortable drafting either at #19.

He's good against the run, he can sniff out a ball carrier.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Landry has way better bend and speed. Unblockable once he gets low and comes around the edge.
A CB would also have better bend and speed if lined up at DE.

Landry lacks power.

Davenport has well above average power for a DE with his speed.

Actually Davenport ran a 4.58 forty vs 4.64 forty for Landry and Davenport weighs 12 pounds more.

Rayman70

Reaction score
A CB would also have better bend and speed if lined up at DE.

Landry lacks power.

Davenport has well above average power for a DE with his speed.

Actually Davenport ran a 4.58 forty vs 4.64 forty for Landry and Davenport weighs 12 pounds more.
If Davenport is there at 19..I would have a very hard time not takin him.

dallas72

Reaction score
I like Ridley, but I really want DL with this pick. Davenport, Landry, Payne, Vea...I am good with all of the above
Riddley is too small...189lbs.....no WR under 190 lbs has made a Pro Bowl in 10 years

gmoney112

Reaction score
Davenport is just too raw for me. I'd take Landry over Davenport. Might be an interesting discussion at 19

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Just what we need another DE then I seen who started the thread and now it makes perfect sense.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Riddley is too small...189lbs.....no WR under 190 lbs has made a Pro Bowl in 10 years
fwiw, Antonio Brown (186) was lighter than Ridley at the combine.

Don't you think he'll put on 1 measly pound of muscle in the pros?
Of course he will. Probably 10..and not lose a step

Bama is a great program --they get the best players and have the best coaches--but they for sure are not known for across the board strength development compared to many others. Maybe they get all the top talent and cruise with it, but it's shocking how many come out of there that claim to not have worked on measurable stuff.

Ridley couldn't believe that his vertical and long jump would be so important. Said he never worked on that. Always worked on actual football.
Said he could very easily have had huge amounts to those numbers if he worked with a special trainer to increase that stuff. Mistake, btw, he should have done some of that.

Last edited:

dallas72

Reaction score
Don't you think he'll put on 1 measly pound of muscle in the pros?
Of course he will. Probably 10..and not lose a step
Id prefer Sutton. ...i really think TE Hurst would be a better pick..best blocking & receiving TE only dropped 1 pass in College.....Dallas could use a 2 TE offense like Pats did..helps run & pass game

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Davenport is just an athlete at this point. He needs way more improvement than I'm comfortable betting on at #19.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Id prefer Sutton. ...i really think TE Hurst would be a better pick..best blocking & receiving TE only dropped 1 pass in College.....Dallas could use a 2 TE offense like Pats did..helps run & pass game
I'm a Hurst fan. Underrated in this forum, imo.
No real weakness in his game and has good head on his shoulders.
I don't think I'd want him at 19 though.

tm1119

Reaction score
For the record because it almost has to be done...
Taco- 10 yard split= 1.69, 3 cone= 7.17, 20 yard shuttle= 4.39
Davenport- 10 yard split= 1.63, 3 cone= 7.2, 20 yard shuttle= 4.41

Taco weighed over 10lbs heavier...so if anyone is of the belief that Taco isn't a good enough pass rusher I'm not sure why Davenport would fit the bill. Not saying anyone in this thread is anti Taco (just a funny thing to type because clearly everyone loves tacos), but there are definitely plenty of fans that feel that way.

I actually see them as pretty similar players...and that's not a knock because I still like Taco. Davenport is draftable at 19 for me, but the board would have to be pretty well picked through for him to be BPA.

Aven8

Reaction score
If their is any chance that Gregory gets reinstated Davenport will not be the pick IMO. They are very similar players.