Twitter: Marcus Mosher on Tony Pollard

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
What happens when Zeke has a great year, and Pollard leaves as a FA, and Zeke restructures his contract?
That should be entertaining on here.

Same as if Pollard has a great year, if used correctly, and Zeke has a so-so year. Should be some good off-season entertainment.
As either one of those above can happen.

Also both could have a great season, and then what?
Let Zeke go, save cap space, pay Pollard, if they feel he can be the featured RB, but many do not think he can.
Let Zeke go, Pollard leaves vis FA, and they draft a 3rd round RB like many say one can be as productive. Only for him not to be.

I would think much depends upon how much $$ Pollard wants to re-sign another contract. Considering how Stephen is so stingy with the team's money, it seems he's somewhat paranoid about his fear of overspending. The Dallas FO is seemingly in denial of Zeke's declining production. Some doubters of Pollard seem somewhat convinced that he can't physically withstand much more action than he's already getting. Not too sure where that comes from, although, maybe they're just closer to his situation than we are, as fans.

conner01

Reaction score
So has it hit anyone that maybe Pollard is as good as he is because of the limited touches he gets?
He was avg more carry’s per game in sept then he got nearly none a couple game. I’m guess that’s when the four issue began
I think he would have had 10-11 per game had he not got injured
Had he had those carry’s then Zeke and he would have had almost the same carry’s which I think is what they wanted to happen

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How does having a few carries make a RB better? That's the dumbest thing I have EVER heard. If anything, RB's need to get in a groove. Harder to pop the big one with 5 or 6 carries a game. You get 10-15 and now you get a chance to do some damage.

No one said he needed fewer carry’s. It was asked if his success is because he does not have any more than he does.
There is nothing dumb about that.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is best for the Cowboys is for zeke to no longer be a Cowboy. That much is painfully obvious. His contract is a huge problem and his hold on the offense and the RB position creates another huge problem. Zeke hold back this offense with his slow, plodding, ball hogging style.

Why does Pollard have to be a featured back?

The contract is a problem, it was way too much, we all know that. Especially back loaded as it is. But that was done with the idea of a restructure. But it just prolongs the inevitable huge cap hit.

I will wait to see how both Zeke and Tony perform this season and not concern myself with all of that as it does no good to do so.
The cap always works itself out, so I just want to wait to see how the season unfolds. Moore needs to utilize both better regardless.

phildadon86

Reaction score
That doesnt even make any sense.

Now I wouldn't give Pollard 300 touches a year, but certainly 200 to 250 shouldnt be an issue in a RB by committee with one or two other guys.

Pollard needs a role carved out for him in the offense. Every game, every opponent. Using him to spell the slow and old Zeke makes little sense at all.
The thing that bothered me the most was. Why not use both? Use Zeke in the backfield and have Pollard as a slot WR or as a second RB. Its not like the TEs on this team can block anyway so what are they losing?

quickccc

Reaction score
Pollard and zeke should be used like Kamara and Ingram but we have Moore abd they had Payton

With Zeke's skill set at this level, at this stage of his career, ..we'd have no choice but to make him Ingram.
but that also stretches him out physically load wise, but more involving and pinch hitting Pollard far more often.

- It's Kellen Moore. Seems like McCarthy doesn't have a say in how KM runs this offense and is phased out.
Otherwise we'd see more ..far more quick RB screens that Tony Pollard would be utter deadly on in the pass game.
Unfortunately I am expecting to have just the same ole from Kellen this year.

- Moore doesn't like RB screens, and does not developing and invest perfecting RB screens - and as a result we're not
effective and efficient at it any more ..
- Heck i saw even less and less time with Pollard and the jet-sweeps.

jwitten82

Reaction score
Yea, I'm not sure you can use the fresh legs argument. According to NFL.com Pollard averaged better ypc in the first half of games than Zeke did (4.9 and Zeke had 4.1)... Pollard also averages more ypc in the first quarter than Zeke did (5.4 vs 4). Pollard has definitely earned the chance to start over Zeke, if anything Zeke benefited more from playing against worn down defenses, seeing as his ypc went higher in the second half

starfan1

Reaction score
Yup, we willingly rode an injured, ineffective RB over the healthier, productive RB.

Zeke was AWFUL. Dak was our leading rusher vs San Francisco.
I like Pollard to get more carries because I feel hes more explosive. zeke is what he is at this point an overpaid FB but thats not his fault jerry was the dipstick that caved. That said the reason for some of Zekes failures is the decline of the Oline. Williams and Tyler B get pushed pack to dang easy and thats why dak was our leading rusher on that particular day. IMO. If we dont get more physical at the point of attack we will see similar results when we play talented lines like the 9ers.

jnday

Reaction score
That doesnt even make any sense.

Now I wouldn't give Pollard 300 touches a year, but certainly 200 to 250 shouldnt be an issue in a RB by committee with one or two other guys.

Pollard needs a role carved out for him in the offense. Every game, every opponent. Using him to spell the slow and old Zeke makes little sense at all.
It made sense all the way back to his college days. He has not proven that he could carry the load as a starter at any level. There’s no shame in being a good change of pace RB. He is doing well in that role.

Aven8

Reaction score
What happens when Zeke has a great year, and Pollard leaves as a FA, and Zeke restructures his contract?
That should be entertaining on here.

Same as if Pollard has a great year, if used correctly, and Zeke has a so-so year. Should be some good off-season entertainment.
As either one of those above can happen.

Also both could have a great season, and then what?
Let Zeke go, save cap space, pay Pollard, if they feel he can be the featured RB, but many do not think he can.
Let Zeke go, Pollard leaves vis FA, and they draft a 3rd round RB like many say one can be as productive. Only for him not to be.

I’m not keeping either after next season. Time for some fresh legs.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yea, I'm not sure you can use the fresh legs argument. According to NFL.com Pollard averaged better ypc in the first half of games than Zeke did (4.9 and Zeke had 4.1)... Pollard also averages more ypc in the first quarter than Zeke did (5.4 vs 4). Pollard has definitely earned the chance to start over Zeke, if anything Zeke benefited more from playing against worn down defenses, seeing as his ypc went higher in the second half
I never used a “fresh legs” argument. I used the argument that Zeke is beating up the defense and Pollard is coming in as a change of pace back. Hell I really didn’t even make the argument I was just replying to the idea that maybe this team knows what they are doing with how they handle Pollard. What they are doing seems to be working because Pollard is having success. I don’t think the answer is give him more IMO.

jwitten82

Reaction score
I never used a “fresh legs” argument. I used the argument that Zeke is beating up the defense and Pollard is coming in as a change of pace back. Hell I really didn’t even make the argument I was just replying to the idea that maybe this team knows what they are doing with how they handle Pollard. What they are doing seems to be working because Pollard is having success. I don’t think the answer is give him more IMO.
Lol Zeke "beating up the defense and Pollard coming in" is pretty much a fresh legs argument, but anyways those stats I posted proved that wasn't the case. Pollard performed better than Zeke in the first half

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Lol Zeke "beating up the defense and Pollard coming in" is pretty much a fresh legs argument, but anyways those stats I posted proved that wasn't the case. Pollard performed better than Zeke in the first half
It’s not a fresh legs argument lol….Pollard is getting carried sometimes in the first quarter lol….I tell you he’s wearing out the defense and a change pace back and you are telling me I’m saying something else lol.

What does performing better than Zeke mean? How does that disprove what I’m saying lol?

jwitten82

Reaction score
It’s not a fresh legs argument lol….Pollard is getting carried sometimes in the first quarter lol….I tell you he’s wearing out the defense and a change pace back and you are telling me I’m saying something else lol.

What does performing better than Zeke mean? How does that disprove what I’m saying lol?
Lol unless you think somehow Zeke is wearing out the defense in the first quarter, then it's still not a good argument. Pollard is still performing better than Zeke at the start of games

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think the roles should be reversed. Let Pollard gash them, wear them ragged trying to chase him, then bring Zeke in to be the closer. Let him hammer them, eat clock. BALL CONTROL.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Lol unless you think somehow Zeke is wearing out the defense in the first quarter, then it's still not a good argument. Pollard is still performing better than Zeke at the start of games
exactly. Dude has live legs, quicks. Let him make the D run themselves ragged. THEN bring Zeke in to close out games.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Once again, what does Pollards stats have to do with anything? I’m all for Pollard getting more touches I just think it’s insulting to assume that every coach he’s had since high school has played him in this same exact role…..but they’re all wrong I guess.