Marcus Spears

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
Marcus Spears is 6'7" and weighs 280 lbs (this was at the end of last season) he has been asked to add some bulk to his already large frame, and i see him hitting about 300 lbs.

Although Spears plays DE, I see him also playing as the #2 or #3 NT depending on our draft situation. Our depth at DE behind Spears and Ellis consists of two draft picks from last year, 1 being Chris Canty of the 4th round and the second being Jay Ratliff of the 7th round, both seemed to impress Parcells and could prove to be solid at the DE position. as for our depth behind Ferguson consists of 1 undrafted FA, "Pepper" Johnson (Parcells also seems to like him).

I know it seems quite stupid to put one of our starting DE at NT if Ferguson goes down. But hey it wouldnt hurt to teach Spears another position, making him more versatile. i mean if Ferguson went down, or needed to come out for a few plays id like to see Canty line up at DE and put Spears at 6'7" 300 lbs in at NT.

Nowadays the NFL is all about versatile players, and even more so in the 3-4 defense. if you can teach a young DE like Spears to play the NT and DE job, you have less worries about "Depth." our DE's all made it onto the field last year, while pepper johnson was only active for 2 games, do we have any idea how good Johnson is? no we dont, we have seen Spears play quite a bit as he started 10 games last season and i think he played in all 16. IMO, he could be a solid #2 or #3 NT just to give starter, Jason Ferguson a little bit of rest time. It is just adding to our rotation, giving us more faces to put on the field, and personally id rather have Canty - Spears - Ellis than Spears - Johnson - Ellis.

just one thought, that might help add depth to our NT position, input please.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Marcus Spears isn't 6'7", he's 6'4". Also, the least I remember him weighing last year was 295.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I think Spears has too much talent to waste away at NT. I'm not saying NT's aren't talented, but their sole job is to occupy two OL so the LB's can attack. Spears can rush the passer and beat his man one on one. He wouldn't have that luxury if he's in the middle.

I'm expecting big things from Spears this year.

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
Spears would have probably performed capably being moved inside to DT in the 4-3 on passing downs a la IND's Raheem Brock, but backup NT in a 3-4 where he'd be asked to occupy two blockers might be a little too much for him to handle at his relatively small size.

ghst187

Reaction score
i'm still upset with Marcus because he was unable to return that fumble against KC all the way for a TD....

littlewebs

Everything I type is a lie. Except that. And that.
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
i'm still upset with Marcus because he was unable to return that fumble against KC all the way for a TD....

I know!!! How dare he not outrun Larry Johnson and co. Where is that 4.4 speed all our 295-pounders should have.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
My sister got Marcus to sign my football, so by no means am i upset with him. :D

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Avery said:
I think Spears has too much talent to waste away at NT. I'm not saying NT's aren't talented, but their sole job is to occupy two OL so the LB's can attack. Spears can rush the passer and beat his man one on one. He wouldn't have that luxury if he's in the middle.

I'm expecting big things from Spears this year.

I agree 100%. Spears didn't get the recognitionthat Ware got last year due the the fact that pass rushing was Ware's assignment moreso than Spears. Without Spears occupying some space out there, there's no way that Ware has the success that he did last year. Spears to a certain extent was overlooked in that regard, but he was just as key to the successes that we had on that side of the ball as Ware was. This is going to be a breakout year for the big kid.

SS

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
The only way I'd want Spears to move inside was #1 if he was comfortable with it, #2 if we somehow got Mathias Kiwanuka in the 2nd round. I like the idea of Canty and Kiwanuka as bookend DEs. Try throwing over those towers.

Spears could do it, but I really think he has a bright future as a LDE.

dalsyk

Reaction score
I believe you are talking about Canty. Spears is shorter and heavier. Canty is 6 foot 7 though

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Yeah Spears was around 295 and I think he can probably add 5 more pounds of muscle on that frame but that's it. Now in Canty's case, I think he can easily get up to 307 and possibly 310 without any drop off in agility or speed.

But I would not even think of moving any of those guys to the inside, and actually, I think Canty can be a poor-mans Richard Seymour.

watertown

Reaction score
bobbie brewskie said:
Marcus Spears is 6'7" and weighs 280 lbs (this was at the end of last season) he has been asked to add some bulk to his already large frame, and i see him hitting about 300 lbs.

Although Spears plays DE, I see him also playing as the #2 or #3 NT depending on our draft situation. Our depth at DE behind Spears and Ellis consists of two draft picks from last year, 1 being Chris Canty of the 4th round and the second being Jay Ratliff of the 7th round, both seemed to impress Parcells and could prove to be solid at the DE position. as for our depth behind Ferguson consists of 1 undrafted FA, "Pepper" Johnson (Parcells also seems to like him).

I know it seems quite stupid to put one of our starting DE at NT if Ferguson goes down. But hey it wouldnt hurt to teach Spears another position, making him more versatile. i mean if Ferguson went down, or needed to come out for a few plays id like to see Canty line up at DE and put Spears at 6'7" 300 lbs in at NT.

Nowadays the NFL is all about versatile players, and even more so in the 3-4 defense. if you can teach a young DE like Spears to play the NT and DE job, you have less worries about "Depth." our DE's all made it onto the field last year, while pepper johnson was only active for 2 games, do we have any idea how good Johnson is? no we dont, we have seen Spears play quite a bit as he started 10 games last season and i think he played in all 16. IMO, he could be a solid #2 or #3 NT just to give starter, Jason Ferguson a little bit of rest time. It is just adding to our rotation, giving us more faces to put on the field, and personally id rather have Canty - Spears - Ellis than Spears - Johnson - Ellis.

Very dumb

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
bobbie brewskie said:

Spears did play some nt last season, in different nickel and passing sets. Go watch the giants games and you will see, he slid in there nicely. Ratliff is actually a tackle we used at end who I would imagine would slide in there this year a little too.

I am holding out hope we get a guy like orien harris in the second round or third if he should fall that far, he is a big two gap tackle, run stuffer, compared to brenson buckner and has an older brother playing for the niners. These are the kinds of guys parcells likes. I never hear anything about him and I am glad, he could slip to the third possibly and that would be a great pick in the third, I dont think he will last past the second though.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
Spears was asked to drop his weight, not bulk up back to 308, which was his draft weight.

He's the solid starting DE. However, Jay Ratliff did play some NT last year before the injury, and is considered more of a tweener between NT and DE.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
MikeCowboy3189 said:
Spears was asked to drop his weight, not bulk up back to 308, which was his draft weight.

He's the solid starting DE. However, Jay Ratliff did play some NT last year before the injury, and is considered more of a tweener between NT and DE.

Yep that is true, I specifically remember spears playing tackle against the giants and ratliff was active for the first time against the eagles and coleman was deactivated that day, ratliff played both tackle and end, played well too, darn injuries.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
Rack said:
Marcus Spears isn't 6'7", he's 6'4". Also, the least I remember him weighing last year was 295.

yea the freak on our defense is the 6'8" 290lb Chris Canty i want this depth chart on the d-line.

DE
*Canty
*Greg Ellis
*Jay Ratliff

NT
*Furgeson
*Pepper Johnson
*Marcus Spears

DE
*Marcus Spears
*Jay Ratliff
*Greg Ellis

Mixed in with some slobby Coleman and ogbogu (under armor guy)

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
DE
Canty
Ellis
Ratliff

NT
Ferguson
Johnson
Ratliff

DE