Marcus Spears

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
J.Jones21 said:
he did both but yea he is most likely the backup to ware if he is on the team.

I cant imagine him being on the team. If thornton is healthy and we draft another linebacker there is no use for him. He was just an emergency guy last year and we released him once and tried to trade him to cincy also. I dont think he has a role here anymore, he may be here through camp and then parcells will let him walk to find a job. He may even let him walk after mini camps in may if we take a backer and the outlook on burnett and thornton is good.

Thornton if healthy can do anything ogbogu can do imo.

Strong

Reaction score
I've got to admit that I never really saw Spears doing very much on the field last year other than the runback against KC (i.e., I didn't hear his name called as much as expected based on the draft hype last year). I am not saying he didn't do a good job. I just don't know enough about DL play to know. Certainly the stats weren't notable. So can someone who can give a real evaluation of his play please tell me whether he was below or above average last year, and what did they see of his potential. Thanks.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
Strong said:
I've got to admit that I never really saw Spears doing very much on the field last year other than the runback against KC (i.e., I didn't hear his name called as much as expected based on the draft hype last year). I am not saying he didn't do a good job. I just don't know enough about DL play to know. Certainly the stats weren't notable. So can someone who can give a real evaluation of his play please tell me whether he was below or above average last year, and what did they see of his potential. Thanks.

you didnt hear much about him because in the 3-4 the WOLB is the main pass rusher, not the DE's. he had a solid season, IMO, but still shows to have a lot of room for improvement. Ware also took a lot of the "media hype" and did record more sacks than spears. but the main reason indeed is that he played DE which in the 3-4 isnt subject to as many sacks and stats that are "important" as a DE, as they are more sustained to taking on blocks and what not.

Justis

Reaction score
Actually I wish our defense would utilize Spears' pass-rushing talent more, it's disgraceful that he had 1.5 sacks to show for the year. Of course I think this really will be the year that he breaks out.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
Justis said:
Actually I wish our defense would utilize Spears' pass-rushing talent more, it's disgraceful that he had 1.5 sacks to show for the year. Of course I think this really will be the year that he breaks out.

I agree that this will be his "breakout" year, but still he is a DE in the 3-4, they are not supposed to be sack machines. he has done a great job of freeing up our LB's. id love to see him generate more sacks and be utalized much more throughout this coming year. remember though last year he backed up Coleman for 6 games, so he only got to start 10, this year ill give him all 16 barring some sort of injury.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Justis said:
Actually I wish our defense would utilize Spears' pass-rushing talent more, it's disgraceful that he had 1.5 sacks to show for the year.
"Insert favorite Zimmer bashing note here."

Justis

Reaction score
bobbie brewskie said:
I agree that this will be his "breakout" year, but still he is a DE in the 3-4, they are not supposed to be sack machines. he has done a great job of freeing up our LB's. id love to see him generate more sacks and be utalized much more throughout this coming year. remember though last year he backed up Coleman for 6 games, so he only got to start 10, this year ill give him all 16 barring some sort of injury.
I realize that normally 3-4 ends have been meant to absorb blockers, but it's not impossible to create a pass rush from the 3-4. Obviously Ellis had some success with it last year, and Richard Seymour has had as many as 8 sacks in a year as well.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
Justis said:
I realize that normally 3-4 ends have been meant to absorb blockers, but it's not impossible to create a pass rush from the 3-4. Obviously Ellis had some success with it last year, and Richard Seymour has had as many as 8 sacks in a year as well.
basically i agree.

i also would like to add we are, IMO, improved at ILB. i believe we might send a few blitz's from the middle with james and ayodele being solid backers. this would really open up our ends to rush the passer. i cant wait to count the # of sacks our defense has! Ware, Spears, Ellis, OLB acquired in draft, oh god im excited.

Justis

Reaction score
bobbie brewskie said:
basically i agree.

i also would like to add we are, IMO, improved at ILB. i believe we might send a few blitz's from the middle with james and ayodele being solid backers. this would really open up our ends to rush the passer. i cant wait to count the # of sacks our defense has! Ware, Spears, Ellis, OLB acquired in draft, oh god im excited.
don't get me started, I could let myself homer out all day over our front 7 with a guy like Lawson plugged in.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
Justis said:
don't get me started, I could let myself homer out all day over our front 7 with a guy like Lawson plugged in.

well since we are 1 player away from the best Secondary in football and our front seven is pretty damn solid and id love to hear you homer bout it all day haha, maybe this calls for the #1 defense in the NFL. haha jk, that's something only a Commander would say. but hey if we get a solid FS and address the SOLB spot we will have a very very scary defense.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
i'm still upset with Marcus because he was unable to return that fumble against KC all the way for a TD....

LOL, yea that was funny watching him lug that ball down the field like it was a 100 lbs sack of potatoes......:laugh1: