Marinelli May deserve an apology from some here

cowboyec

Reaction score
again.....we got off to great starts....and couldn't finish.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Just heard on 105 3 the fan RJ choppy quote a stat that said the Cowboys pass rush win rate what's 53% which ranked number one in the league. For those who adore Analytics and stats, by this Marinelli may be owed an apology.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...s-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard

He does. It's not that people didn't think he was a top tier DL coach that is worrisome, it's that they somehow thought he was bad. Like how the hell?

Another example of seeing what you want to see.

Flamma

Reaction score
so you're not an analytics guy? or any stat guy, because if you are you can't pick and choose what stats you want to use as an indicator of results.

I don't mind stats at all. I just wouldn't base my decisions on stats alone because I know they can be misleading. Or be used to mislead. Someone else mentioned run defense. If our run defense isn't very good, what difference does that pass rush stat make? We had the most vanilla defense I've seen in a long time, why would I apologize to a DC that I didn't think was any good? Because of one stat? What were the results?

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Just heard on 105 3 the fan RJ choppy quote a stat that said the Cowboys pass rush win rate what's 53% which ranked number one in the league. For those who adore Analytics and stats, by this Marinelli may be owed an apology.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...s-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard

Please explain your thought process as what does this mean if the defense failed as a whole? How does he deserve an apology for failing. Hell even a broken clock is right twice a day!

Dre11

Reaction score
To act like he wasn't part of the ongoing problem with the team is laughable. He deserves no apology what so ever.

everybody was a part of the problem, that's what team football is about. the offense was top 5 offense , but they still was a part of the problem. it's a team game. but the vitriol that man receives is highly exaggerated

shabazz

Reaction score
Just another example of how stats can be misleading.

So true......especially passing stats when you get to play against the 8 worst defenses in the league....some of them twice in the same season

Dre11

Reaction score
Please explain your thought process as what does this mean if the defense failed as a whole? How does he deserve an apology for failing. Hell even a broken clock is right twice a day!

his unit the DL(which he was pretty much relegated to) through his scheme rushing the passer, which gets killed here was #1 in the league.

Dre11

Reaction score
Yeah, as they were probably #1 in.....almost got there, but you eluded me and completed the pass anyway....

and that's on the player not finishing, the scheme got him there, they have to finish.

Dre11

Reaction score
I don't mind stats at all. I just wouldn't base my decisions on stats alone because I know they can be misleading. Or be used to mislead. Someone else mentioned run defense. If our run defense isn't very good, what difference does that pass rush stat make? We had the most vanilla defense I've seen in a long time, why would I apologize to a DC that I didn't think was any good? Because of one stat? What were the results?

I somewhat agree with your stat angle, but there are some things you can't see with the naked eye, therefore you have to rely on stats.

Johnny23

Reaction score
everybody was a part of the problem, that's what team football is about. the offense was top 5 offense , but they still was a part of the problem. it's a team game. but the vitriol that man receives is highly exaggerated
No. He was here and apart of the debacle that was bringing in himself and his mentor Monti Koffin. He stayed on and he continued to be part of the problem on defense. I agree and have said everyone was part of the issues with this team. But to pretend like the vitriol he received was not dating back to the Kiffin debacle is disingenuous. Because it has everything to do with before he was demoted to just dlc.

Flamma

Reaction score
So true......especially passing stats when you get to play against the 8 worst defenses in the league....some of them twice in the same season

Yeah I didn't want to go there, just allude to it. A lot of times stats are used to paint a different picture. It's used as a last resort. It's probably why it's considered one of the three biggest lies. This isn't to say they are always misleading. Just that they can be.

Cowboys22

Reaction score

This makes him look worse in my mind. He had the talent and players winning against the man in front of them but his scheme was so bad that it didn’t matter and didn’t produce the results it should have. The previous coaching staff was so dysfunctional that they allowed the front 7 and back 4 to play schemes that didn’t mesh. No one deserves praise for what masqueraded as coaching in Dallas over that last several seasons.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
his unit the DL(which he was pretty much relegated to) through his scheme rushing the passer, which gets killed here was #1 in the league.

But 19th in sacks and 11th in rush defense. I am not sure how an apology is required because the unit was number in some sort of ranking from a thousand different PFW rankings. Let alone all of his DL draftees has failed under his supposed guru tutelage.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Flamma

Reaction score
I somewhat agree with your stat angle, but there are some things you can't see with the naked eye, therefore you have to rely on stats.

That's perfectly understandable. But to what end? If the end results weren't all that impressive, what am I to make of that stat? Can I now ignore that stat? All stats are created by an accumulation of information. But you don't have control over that information or the situations that created those statistics. You have to determine whether or not that statistic is something you can learn from, or is misleading.