Marion Barber III, Going Pro.

Ken

Reaction score
Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota running back Marion Barber III, one of the school's all-time leading rushers, said Saturday that he will forgo his final season of eligibility and enter the NFL draft.

Barber rushed for 1,000 yards in both of the last two seasons and was named to the All-Big Ten first team in 2003. He and Gophers running back Laurence Maroney became the first teammates in NCAA I-A history to each rush for 1,000 yards in back-to-back seasons.

Though he had one year of eligibility remaining, Barber is in his fourth year at the university. He played in just two games as a sophomore while nursing a hamstring injury, then qualified as a redshirt, meaning the season didn't count against his eligibility.

At a news conference, Barber said he mulled over the decision.

"It wasn't something that popped in my head," he said. "I'm strong in my decision. It's been a very difficult process, and the support I've had throughout has gotten me through it."

Before the Gophers played in the Music City Bowl three weeks ago, Barber said he would return for his final season. He then rushed for 187 yards in Minnesota's 20-16 win over Alabama and won the MVP award in what would be his final game.

"We've lost a great player," said coach Glen Mason, who joined Barber and his family at the news conference. "But more importantly to us, we've lost a great person. He's what's good about college athletics, about football in general. ... He's been fun to be around."

Barber, who went to suburban Wayzata High School, started his Gophers' career fast, rushing for 742 yards as a true freshman.

This year, he surpassed his father, Marion Barber Jr. -- a Gophers running back in the late 1970s and early 1980s -- in career rushing yards and ends up as Minnesota's third-leading career rusher with 3,276 yards.

This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index

lkelly

Reaction score
This offsets DeAngelo Williams' decision to go back to school. I've seen a lot of Barber, but I'm not sure where I'd put him in this draft. Could be a great third round value. He's the kind of kid that goes to a team like Philly and then plays really well. This is a seriously deep RB draft. Every team that needs a back should be satisfied.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
lkelly said:
This offsets DeAngelo Williams' decision to go back to school. I've seen a lot of Barber, but I'm not sure where I'd put him in this draft. Could be a great third round value. He's the kind of kid that goes to a team like Philly and then plays really well. This is a seriously deep RB draft. Every team that needs a back should be satisfied.

I like Barber....in fact I think I like him more than everyone except for the big three (he and Fason in the next tier) and he isn't far off that group. He is a mid-second rounder in my opinion.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Maybe if we trade down in the First round and pick up another 2nd or 3rd round pick, we'll take him. I think he would make a nice Combo with JJ.